not ANOTHER header flange thread... or is it?

hasa68mustang

Famous Member
VIP
Allright who can get them now? lol I cant find any posts within the last couple of years of anyone having any made.

I know Will said he had a place he was getting them made for $60 but I don't know if they are still available. I know there are a few others mentioning having some made as well.

Or if anyone has any tips on cutting 3/8" steel let me know. I would have no problem making my own if I knew of an efficient way of doing so. I havent really been able to find any good info on this.

Thanks, Tommy

My source for them has dried up.

I'm sure Mike can get them from the companies he has fab'ing up his headers.

Will

T-BONE!!!

yeah I was looking into it then went aussie....sorry.

I had a link to a place that did mail order flanges.....send them a gasket (or maybe just a templete) and they would cut one for you.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... der+flange

if someone (mike?) got me a cad file of a head flange I will flip the bill to have a run made of them in mild and SS if anyone wants.....just to help out the board.

hmmm I took some pretty basic CAD classes... wonder if I could throw one together. I mean I was able to spell T-o-m-m-y in a piece of wood once.

XFlow_Fairlane":2y1bd3x9 said:
T-BONE!!!

yeah I was looking into it then went aussie....sorry.

I had a link to a place that did mail order flanges.....send them a gasket (or maybe just a templete) and they would cut one for you.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... der+flange

if someone (mike?) got me a cad file of a head flange I will flip the bill to have a run made of them in mild and SS if anyone wants.....just to help out the board.

There was one of the big six guys who used a gasket as his template to make his header flange and had it cut, then found out the ports on the gasket didn't match the ports on the cylinder head. It might be a safe bet to check the gasket first if XFlow is going to make a batch of 'em, or do a first article part and see how it works.

I have a Fel Pro gasket I can base a drawing off of if it is ok to use it as a template.

Im pretty proficient in AutoCAD and it would take me no time to do.

I can also take in suggestions to modify the flange on it, I just dont have a spare head lying around.

I was hoping to have the flange more resemble mikes header gasket which has smaller 3+4 ports which seems like it would be easier for welding up all the tubes.

GasketsLG.jpg

I ordered in a gasket at Advance auto to start drawing it up but if someone wants to throw out a cad file that would be awesome.

RacinNdrummin":2s3efl7f said:
I can also take in suggestions to modify the flange on it, I just dont have a spare head lying around.

That was the problem one of the other board members had when he made his header flange from a gasket. He discovered the gasket didn't match the ports in his head very good, after he had the flange cut out. It would be better to either make a drawing from a head, or to use a gasket you know fits the ports good, using a head as a guide. If you don't have a way to verify the alignment with an actual cylinder head, you run the risk of the person you are giving the drawing to, spending his money on making a part that doesn't meet his expectations once he gets it made. Measure twice, cut once.

CNC-Dude":2nckp2cz said:
RacinNdrummin":2nckp2cz said:

That was the problem one of the other board members had when he made his header flange from a gasket. He discovered the gasket didn't match the ports in his head very good, after he had the flange cut out. It would be better to either make a drawing from a head, or to use a gasket you know fits the ports good, using a head as a guide. If you don't have a way to verify the alignment with an actual cylinder head, you run the risk of the person you are giving the drawing to, spending his money on making a part that doesn't meet his expectations once he gets it made. Measure twice, cut once.

Which is why in I first line I asked if it was ok to use the felpro gasket. It didnt say anything about him using the felpro gasket. Im not an idiot, Im well aware of how far gaskets can be out of tolerance.

If somebody could confirm if the fitment is good or bad on a head they have lying around, I would be more than willing o draw it up, and even shorten the middle ports, as the gasket above shows. I was just volunteering, thats all.

I have 3 heads that I can try it out against. I may make a template out of a thin piece of wood and send it out. I have the gasket now but my car is at our garage.

I spent waaaayyyy too much time relearning this stuff. I really should have paid more attention in class and less time on these forums and ebay and stuff.

anyway, this is what I came up with.I am not sure if this is good or not or anything lol I have never seen another persons cad file or anything. lol

I am sure I could go through it more and perfect edges but I am pretty sure I am not using this for anything other than personal use.

and before the flaming starts, The most I have done before today and yesterday was follow instructions on how to cut my name out of wood or something like that and the teacher was new so I was the one who taught him how to use everything but that was as far as I got, and that was 3 years ago. This is my second time playing in the program. The picture above this post was my first, and that was with the help of a friend.

well anyone can feel free to CAD it up for me....

hell I even have a inventor file around here somewhere for a whole 200 motor....could prob go find my flange sketch on it but I am too lazy...need to focus on the xflow stuff more.

so who ever can make a DXF file for me (prefered maybe if it was printed out full scale (tape some 8.5x11 sheets together) so they can test fit their design on their head...first one I get that someone is happy with and I will send it out.

so racinNdrummin....if you could do us a favor and CAd one that will fit a stock head that would be great! I think i had cut my old fabbed manifold from a felpro gasket form the parts store and it came out like crap. that was kinda why I was hoping someone could cut one to fit a head if possible.

LOLOLOL I just printed it out and its off. and I dont mean off compared to the head its off compared to the gasket lol

back to the drawing board.

I think I'm back in this. I just printed out my revised design and it matches up to the gasket. I will line it up to the motor tomorrow and see how the gasket compares BUT I am getting better at this I think. making changes now only takes minutes instead of hours lol.

lemme know when you get it down and are happy with it.

once you get it matching you might wanna add .050 or so all around the port (just offset the line) to accounf for mild porting, casting differences etc.

so for getting these cut would anyone be opposed to just having mild steel ones cut? will 3/8" be enough or do some want 1/2" thick?

when I send the head flanges out I will have some T3 turbo mount flanges made up too and just offer them as a package deal.

If someone can pick up a felpro exhaust gasket, and check it against a spare head to confirm fitment is ok, all you would have to do is let me know and I can draw up a manifold flange.

RacinNdrummin":3s8c08wj said:
If someone can pick up a felpro exhaust gasket, and check it against a spare head to confirm fitment is ok, all you would have to do is let me know and I can draw up a manifold flange.

I did just this about 15 minutes ago and took pictures of the flange I threw together VS the felpro gasket.

I will send you a PM in a little bit though.

Back