Boost on a 300

FordMan1988

How much boost can a 300 handle? I have read that the gaskets avaliable for the 300 limit it to around 6 PSI for street driving. Just curious. Looking into building either a turbo or supercharged 300.

You have to build any engine according to the output you expect to get out of it. You can put a $10 head gasket on an engine you plan to make 600 HP, for example. With higher outputs, you need to plan on O-ringing the block, and/or machine the head for reciever grooves on its deck surface. And maybe expect to use copper head gaskets as well. And maybe even using head studs to get a better clamping effect moreso than head bolts.There are plenty of ways to make big power #'s out of any engine, you just have to plan your budget and parts purchases around these things.

That I totally understand, I had just read that there werent good enough gaskets availible to handle over 6 PSI everyday.

Im currently restoring/modding a 1968 coupe with a 300. Going to take a few years to finish, after that I plan to rebuild either a 80-85 F-150 or Fox body stang. Fox's are very easily modded into fast cars. 12's are easy to obtain, but everyone I have ever seen has a 302. I'd like to see one with a turbo or supercharged 300. With 400+ power output it would be a beast and embarrass many V8 cars. Thats the intent with my inline powered 68 coupe.

A regular composition head gasket might not be up to the challenge then, but a copper head gasket with an O-ringed block will easily take care of that and more if you need it too! I did a lot of NMCA nitrous Mustangs that had both high compression combined with 400+ horses of nitrous with no trouble. They had the same cylinder configuration as the 300 has, and that being only (4) 1/2" head bolts per cylinder. So just 6 lbs. of boost with an O-ringed block and copper gasket will be no problem for you.

there is a guy running a maverick with a stock, newer truck 300 in it, turbo charged says he runs 25lbs of boost all the time some times 30lbs, never blown a head gasket he told me!!!STOCK!!!!

ericglo":3e3ju9e2 said:
there is a guy running a maverick with a stock, newer truck 300 in it, turbo charged says he runs 25lbs of boost all the time some times 30lbs, never blown a head gasket he told me!!!STOCK!!!!
i would say hes full of himself :D

ericglo":3kk1gneb said:
eric once again get your facts right the most boost this has seen is 25# never 30# and yes the whole motor is stock with aftermarket valve springs and oil pump so you can stop telling bs stories about this car and maybey you can take the time to finish your own and tell your stories. get it right!!!!!!!!!!!

StrangeRanger":9tfu1x6q said:
He's full of something.
IIRC FTF has had head gasket issues just running high compression on a normally aspirated 300.
yes I am full of something I know how to make my stuff run. if the tune is correct you can get alot out of something. this car just ran 10.98 @ 120 car weight is 3028# 300 ci that just over 400 hp 1.33 hp per cube. ya that sounds like bs in a world full of 3/4/5 h.p.c turbo cars! dont knock me when from all the post I see you on the only talent you can muster up is typing. get your facts right before you internet racers bust my 00! if you were smart enough you would look at it and ask what you are doing wrong.

wat kind of setup do u have, i have an 83 f150 with the 1barrel carb and 4spd. manual trans. all stock to my knowledge i have been reading up on the turbo idea for quit a while and still am puzzled for wat to use. i do know that the general idea is more air moving through the motor. do u think u could point me in the right direction or wat to do if u were in my position, im not really looking for anything serious just something new.

I wanna see some pics of dyno sheets and at least a video to prove this 400 some odd horse stock 300 with 25 PSI boost. IIRC, there is a guy on here who turbo'd a 300 and wrecked some pistons with boost levels nowhere near 25 PSI. I highly doubt the cast pistons (stock) would hold up under that much boost.

I think that if tuned properly (and I mean properly) pistons can withstand more than you would think. But there is a thermal and mechancal stress limit to everything, and Stock cast pistons will be a weak link in a 300 under boost.

84FordVan":37vyhb2j said:
I wanna see some pics of dyno sheets and at least a video to prove this 400 some odd horse stock 300 with 25 PSI boost. IIRC, there is a guy on here who turbo'd a 300 and wrecked some pistons with boost levels nowhere near 25 PSI. I highly doubt the cast pistons (stock) would hold up under that much boost.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6lQ6RIHfPg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXTnCsHWbQ Car is on both these vids there is your proof. if you need more pm me and you can come out and watch and ride.we can pull it apart if you need more proof. now back to the facts all the runs on these vids are 21# max.I was going to explain how this stays together but with this forms approach that Im full of something I wont bother the fact still remains its a stock 84 ford 4.9 like it or beleive it or not

Emerald 74 4X4":1632s94k said:
I think that if tuned properly (and I mean properly) pistons can withstand more than you would think. But there is a thermal and mechancal stress limit to everything, and Stock cast pistons will be a weak link in a 300 under boost.
wow atleast some one got it. thermal control (intake heat water/air intercooler q16) mechanical (q16 timing/ tune) funny how the only guy that got it is actually doing one. I would like to get the new one done before the whole thing is the weak link after 2 years its on barrowed time.

I gonna say this one time mr maverick, Take it easy. just becase some or many of us here on this site find your combination of parts and its results hard to belive doesn't mean you have to provide proof.
And you also might want to read up more about some of those that you complainng about. many are engineers and some have even worked in the auto industry and they provide informantion and insight you can get nowhere else.

Maverick11,

Don't get upset with everybody here. I think some are just gun shy because of the dude on the internet stating he was making 375 hp normally aspirated on a 200 inline 6 with a 2 barrel on a 1 barrel cylinder head.

What a lot of people don't realize is, turbo boost is easier on an engine than a high compression, high revving one as long as your tune up is good.

FordMan1988":2297y5e3 said:
How much boost can a 300 handle? I have read that the gaskets avaliable for the 300 limit it to around 6 PSI for street driving. Just curious. Looking into building either a turbo or supercharged 300.
fordman sorry for the side track on how much boost it can handle the answer I gess would be untill it breaks. on the maverick pump gas max I found safe was 12/13# 15 total timing intercooled but 8/10# 22t was nice and safe it didnt come on real hard but had good touqe nice to just drive just dont let it rattle and keep a.i.t cool.

Very nice car, maverick. Just out of curiosity, do you know what all was done to the carb? I had contemplated modding a 2bbl holley carb for that purpose awhile ago, just nobody from a company that does that kind of thing would tell me how to do it.

Back