Twin Turbo 200

Twin turbo 200 in my 1962 Ranchero?

• Yes

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
Tuning it can be a headache but I wanted to build a twin T25 turbos on a 200 with fuel injection.

I was using the Nissan RB26DETT twin turbo inline six as a reference point on setups.

I said yes but suggest you go with a bigger motor. I have seen two small turbos on a Crossflow motor here.

I voted "no" because, and please don't take this the wrong way, you may be the person to get this done.

In my opinion, a properly designed single will perform close enough - maybe better than a twin - maybe not. A finished single kicking butt will be a lot cooler than a twin never finished. Getting too fancy I know about. My car has been on jackstands for 27 years. I wanted to change a few things to make it cooler and faster. It will be but, I'm not sure it was worth the wait. It didn't help that I fired the painter.

P.S. I do everything myself.

Honestly, the only thing twin turbos are good for nowadays is packaging (and tractor pulls). With modern technology, a single will spool just as fast or faster and be more efficient.

8) i said yes, but with a caveat, you need to get the right sized turbos, something from an engine of less than two liters should do nicely.

The :cool: factor would be way high with twin turbos. But with the largest of our L6's being 300cid (in stock form), what would twin turbos accomplish that a correctly sized single couldn't do. Our displacements and revs aren't so high that the market does offer common single units to easily handle the job. So, I voted no.

However, if this is really a special interest ride, and you want to to show those saki suckers how to tweak some Detroit iron, then go for it. :eek:

Yes yes yes! Nah I'm just saying that cause i have twins on my 4.0l OHC injected aussie donk. Honestly a single setup is a far better way to go, I only went the twins because of price and availablility. The amount of extra room you take up in your engine bay by fitting 2 air intakes, 2 turbo outlets, not to mention the 2 turbos themselves makes the engine bay quite crammed and untidy looking. Then theres the issue of getting a big enough exhaust in there too. I had to run twin 2 inch dumps then collect the twin 2 inch plus a 2 inch waste gate pipe into a 3inch system. Ideally you should be runing 3 inch right from the turbo but its just not possible when you have the 2 pipes runing side by side. Go a good roller bearing single and you'll never look back.
GOODLUCK

I say yes. 2 second hand T25's mounted at the diff with a split system. You should check out some of the remote turbo builds. Everything is cooler and the engine bay is clean. Also, It's easier! :D

Well my plans are a sequential set up. Little turbo feeds big turbo so less lag more consistant power! The only issue is how do I build my motor to run on pump gas....hmmm

Falconman62":23b5bi2n said:
Well my plans are a sequential set up. Little turbo feeds big turbo so less lag more consistant power! The only issue is how do I build my motor to run on pump gas....hmmm

8) these engines can handle only so much airflow, and two small turbos would do just what you want without trying to set up a sequential system. to run on pump gas you want about an 8.5:1 compression ratio, and limit the boost to about 15psi.

Falconman62":13ye3d95 said:
I only wanted to run 15psi because after that I hear that you start breakin stuff :shock:

8) that is generally because of two things;

1: you didnt build the short block to handle the power output

2: you get the tune screwed up and the engine hammers itself to death from detonation.

I did not vote, cause I am indifferent. Both setups have their place. With a basic twin turbo set up is usually for middle of the line performance. The twin similar sized turbos will spool at a decent rpm and make good top end power.

If you are going for flat out hole shot acceleration you will want to go with a sequential twin turbo set up. This is where you use two turbos of dissimilar size. One smaller turbo is used to spool at the lowest rpm possible and then used to spool a slightly larger turbo. This is good for very low rpm boost levels and will give the best out the hole acceleration.

Lastly is a single turbo setup. Here you use a larger, sometimes a much larger turbo, to get the most out of the top end of a motor. Here you will make the most top end horse power, but you will have the most lag coming out of the hole.

So that is why I did not vote cause every set up has it's place, it depends on what you are going to use the car for!

****Note the RB26DETT is a sequential twin turbo set up!****

Also have you considered twin charging? Large single turbo and a small crew type eaton supercharger? Boost from idle and the increased exhaust flow from the volumetric efficiency of the supercharger spools the turbo which then forces air through the supercharger... Best of both worlds, low end torque and driveability and top end flow for peak power

Back