make a jet engine out of a turbo?

has anyone tried this i have seen many vid's on you tube with people building them in their garages and putting them on go carts, what if you can take the exhaust pressure from the jet turbo to run the turbine to another turbo hooked up to a six, if it would work it could eliminate turbo lag compleatly and still allow for dual exhaust on the engine :unsure:

I've thought about building one myself, more as a curiosity and just something to scare the neighbors with than for any practical purpose.

First and foremost it seems pretty dangerous as these things are pretty much bombs waiting to happen.

Also, it seems like it'd be expensive when you factor in fuel and all the oil required (as I understand it these things just burn through oil like its nothing).

64 200 ranchero":1dzrno72 said:
has anyone tried this i have seen many vid's on you tube with people building them in their garages and putting them on go carts, what if you can take the exhaust pressure from the jet turbo to run the turbine to another turbo hooked up to a six, if it would work it could eliminate turbo lag compleatly and still allow for dual exhaust on the engine :unsure:

8) are you suggesting that someone build a turbojet engine from a turbocharger, and somehow hook it up to a second turbo to boost a ford six engine? just to eliminate turbo lag? you dont need to do that, you just need to size the turbo properly. as for using dual exhaust, you can always split the exhaust after the down pipe if you want.

as for building a jet engine from a turbo, that is basically what frank whittle did low in the early 30's, which is where we get the term "turbojet engine". whittle used a radial flow system which is just a giant turbo with a burner section to provide a means to maintain exhaust flow.

You really do not want a jet for this. They come in two basic versions:

The first is the ram/pulse jet such as used on the German V1 which require that the vehicle/plane be at speed before ignition and that the engine's air intake is thereby getting sufficient air to supply the fuel. Not much of an automotive application there, at least not this side of Bonneville.

The second is the aforementioned turbo jet which needs a motor to get it started so that it can spin the compressor stage fast enough to supply the turbine that you want to use to spin a second turbine to spin yet another compressor. That's a whole lot of complexity for not much virtue since you would still have to spool up the turbojet engine to provide boost and that would create the lag you're trying to eliminate.

However a rocket engine might be able to do what you want. They are fed both fuel and oxidant and require no external air supply. They come in two versions: one which uses spontaneously igniting fuel/oxidant mixes ("hypergolic" engines) and one which requires an ignition source. I would suggest that in the event of a crash the hypergolic rocket engine would prove much less suitable for automotive use despite the fact that it probably ignites more quickly.

However, rocket engines require very, very precise metering of the fuel and oxidant to prevent catastrophic failures (read as "explosions".) This is not impossible but neither is it inexpensive and the cost and level of expertise involved may make it impractical.

This has all been tried before. In the 60s there was a company called Turbonique which built some very quick drag cars using variants of this rocket/turbo technology. I do not know if they ever did anything that was streetworthy though. I'm pretty sure they're no longer around

im building a straight drag car, to start the mini turbo some people use a leaf blower, check it out on you tube it looks crazy but it works

64 200 ranchero":3h31xwix said:

Doesnt that violate one of those thermodynamic thingys? laws or principles?

It takes more energy to run than it would put out?

The best way to eliminate turbo lag is to get a variable vane turbo charger. Very high dollar stuff. The turbocharger basically adjusts itself depending on rpm and load. Virtually no turbo lag on a properly setup system.

There was a website that used to have videos of a guy toying with home made jet engines made from turbochargers.

I think this is it: http://www.junkyardjet.com/

im just going to prob put my custom turbo on after i rebuild it, i just thought it would be an interesting concept and wanted to share :mrgreen:

While I worked at an exhaust shop, I built a pulse jet. Louder than hell, would shake the foundation of the warehouse I worked, and shoots fire, What more could you want?
I never did finish the turbojet project.

You can read tons of info on pulse-jets.com

I remember watching a video called pulsejet powered ramjet, where the builder used a pulsejet engines exhaust/thrust to feed or better force feed air into the intake of the ram jet

I'll see if I can dig up a video...

StrangeRanger remembers right. Turbonique, a Florida outfit, sold centrifugal blowers in multiple configurations: exhaust-driven, electric motor driven, and one that was powered by some kind of solid rocket fuel tablet for dragstrip blasts. They put two of these units on a go kart to power the wheels, but even though the frame was stretched, the kart would want to blow over backwards at 150mph. Wonder if the maniac who drove it died young . . . I just wrote a note to myself to watch for a Turbonique ad or article that I might have saved from the '60s, and if I find it I'll send it to Stubby to scan and post.

80broncoman":3w98dsa1 said:
I thought the quickest way to spool up a turbo was just a littel squirt of N2O.

Either that, or antilag systems...AKA injecting directly into the turbine housing

Seattle Smitty":1nmuqrmg said:
StrangeRanger remembers right. Turbonique, a Florida outfit, sold centrifugal blowers in multiple configurations: exhaust-driven, electric motor driven, and one that was powered by some kind of solid rocket fuel tablet for dragstrip blasts. They put two of these units on a go kart to power the wheels, but even though the frame was stretched, the kart would want to blow over backwards at 150mph. Wonder if the maniac who drove it died young . . . I just wrote a note to myself to watch for a Turbonique ad or article that I might have saved from the '60s, and if I find it I'll send it to Stubby to scan and post.

http://www.almar.easynet.be/turbonique.htm
http://jalopnik.com/373531/for-sale-tur ... alaxie-500
http://jalopnik.com/5481005/video-the-d ... turbonique
http://www.vaiden.net/rocket_gokart.html

Back