Another Turbo 300 in an F150

It did. Last time I had the engine out. I didn't put the condensor, compressor, and air pump back in.

It spools around 2200-2500. Which is fine any lower and it would spool while cruising.
Update: 3 of the main bearings and all of the rod bearings wore down to the copper, so good I pulled motor out. Turns out I need to run higher oil pressure. I was running 40 hot 20psi cold. I need to be running 60-80psi.

could be a lube failure from the oil getting too thin... might need thicker oil or a return line cooler on the turbo.

perhaps you need smaller restriction in the line to the turbo?

That makes me wonder if the hx35 I just picked up will be too smal for my 300 build. Is yours just starting to spool or is that full spool by 2200-2500 rpm?

Agreed, I am planning to try some 20W50 or straight 50 if I need to when I get the engine back together.
As far as spool it starts spooling at 2000 rpm and then it is about 2 seconds to until full boost, so depending on the gear full spool happens at different rpm's.
For instance, in first you need to shift before it gets to full spool, in second similar situation, and in third it puts a smile on your face. :D

If I recall turboB said the hx35 was too small.

My original HY35 was too small, much better sized for a 4cyl! boost at 1200rpm...

I have an HX35 with 12cm turbine now, the wastegate is too small but it can be ported to work, or replaced with an external gate. My HX makes a pound or two around 1700rpm but doesn't make any real boost until 2000. I like the HX35, in hindsight I would have used an external wastegate - but I haven't had any problems from my ported internal gate either.

Looking to move on to a new project. And need to get rid of this one. Anyone interested in buying the parts off my truck as a “turbo kit”. I have everything you need to bolt on and get you up and running fast with a turbo.

My new ride! I know, I know, it's not an inline 6, or a ford, or turbocharged. But it looks pretty sweet and has 600hp :beer:
I have loved these things since they came out on now I am a proud owner. For those that are not familiar, 6.2lt LSA supercharged with 7psi of boost 556hp stock. I have full exhaust and a smaller pulley on the blower so it runs 11 psi of boost and ~600hp 8)

JonL":2us6448v said:
My new ride! I know, I know, it's not an inline 6, or a ford, or turbocharged. But it looks pretty sweet and has 600hp :beer:
I have loved these things since they came out on now I am a proud owner. For those that are not familiar, 6.2lt LSA supercharged with 7psi of boost 556hp stock. I have full exhaust and a smaller pulley on the blower so it runs 11 psi of boost and ~600hp 8)

Was just reading about all this and I have a turbo 200. Was reading about oil and your bearings. I have about 40psi of oil pressure and I was wondering what your input is. I'm running 5psi now. Turning it up to 10-15 when my rings seat. Was wondering if I need to up my oil pressure.

If you use straight 50 weight racing oil, you will be ok. But if you want to use regular oil, I would shim oil pump relief and try to get it up to 60-65psi.

JonL":35bwr7yo said:
If you use straight 50 weight racing oil, you will be ok. But if you want to use regular oil, I would shim oil pump relief and try to get it up to 60-65psi.

As of now I'm using 10w30 I think and getting 40psi. I was using this oil just for 500 miles then changing it. What do u reccomend I change to. I would like to go to a race oil but I do "daily" drive it. But I also beat the shit out of it.

I'm not sure where you live. I am in ND so in the winter it gets super cold and the 50 weight oil can break and oil pump drive shaft, other than that there is no downfall to running it in a daily driver. I did it, and I like you I like step on the gas whenever I got the chance. :beer:
I would extend your oil change interval out to 2000-2500 miles, unless the is getting water or gas is it for some reason.

JonL":2ke2tg7p said:
I'm not sure where you live. I am in ND so in the winter it gets super cold and the 50 weight oil can break and oil pump drive shaft, other than that there is no downfall to running it in a daily driver. I did it, and I like you I like step on the gas whenever I got the chance. :beer:
I would extend your oil change interval out to 2000-2500 miles, unless the is getting water or gas is it for some reason.

Shes a garage queen during the winter. I live in Ohio so I get many feet of snow. Any brand u recommended. I was looking at amsoil dominator but that's like 20$ a quart which is insane. Do u recommend any 50w race oil?

If you need ZDDP for your CAM and lifters make sure it has that. Then I'm not partial to any brand. I used Valvoline. I would stay away from auto part store brands. Are you running high spring tension on your valves?

JonL":2hh2mwfp said:
If you need ZDDP for your CAM and lifters make sure it has that. Then I'm not partial to any brand. I used Valvoline. I would stay away from auto part store brands. Are you running high spring tension on your valves?

i have v8 valve springs in my 200 valvetrain but thats it

Back