Holley/weber carb for blow through?

First Fox

Anyone run a Holley 5200/Weber 32/36? on their turbo setup? I really like the idea of having a secondary side that I can enrich and this seems like it may work for me in place of my factory one barrel. If anyone has used one I would love to hear what mods they had to make to the carb and maybe some ball park jet numbers.

Thanks,
Sam

Bumparoo. :) There is just not a whole lot of info about these carbs out there. Has anyone run one of these?

Awesome. :) I will check the link out right now, thanks for posting it. I was kind of hoping to hear from someone on THAT side of the world. I understand these carbs are more common there. Thanks again for your post. :beer:

See especially http://www.turbogemini.com/Blow%20Throu ... %20Kit.htm

Re-read Linc's 200 and Does 10s posts, and you'll see that a 280 cfm Weber 32/36 or Holley Weber 5200 is quite versitile.

I love rising rate FPR's with a return line as per standard 32/36 Weber equiped British and Australian Cortina 2.0, European Capri 1.6/2.0, and 1982-1992 ADM Weber 34 equiped OHV X-flow Falcon 3.3 and 4.1 practice.

Return lines are generally not liked, but for 32/36 Webers and modified to suit H~W 5200's, they allow pressure head at fuel delievery to sit about 3 psi above boost pressure, and this looks after the tendenacy for these carbs to be sensitive to float level, engulf the emulsion tubes and stock air correctors. The Weber was designed around very Pinto OHC limits...low pressure fuel pump, really rich wide open throttle, and then emulsion tube to suit a 2 liter that liked to rev. When they go on an I-6, they need to be recalibrated with a Weber six cylinder style emulsion tube (1973-1984 Cologne 2.6/2.8/2.9 V6 with 32/36 or H~W 5200, or Australian 1982-1992 Falcon 3.3/4.1. The aftermarket Jeep 245/258 is also close). The stock ones off 4-cyls don't suit as there perculation holes are inthe wrong place.

Anyway, there is information around the 'net on how to make these carbs work. In Australia, New Zealand, Britian, South Korea (Hyundai made millions of them from 1973 to 1982 for the Korean and Japanese market), Western Europe,and the West Indies/Barbados, where Cortinas, Capri I and II's, and the Cortina based Taunus and 1982-1984 Sierra (early 1.6 and 2.0 carb versions of the Merkur XR4Ti, you'll see a gold 5-dr wreck in Riannas Get in and Drive video) predominate, you'll find it is in plentiful supply. The Weber replacements you buy new are expensive, but worth every cent over a worn throttle shaft 32/36 or 5200...these carbs a very sensitive to engine capacity variation.

As a comparison, the 2300 series 350/500 Holleys, emulsion tubes are used, but they don't have much influence on tune because Holley smartly work on the power valve and channel restictions and plastic cams for accelerator pumps, and its only big cams which spoil the calibration of a 2300 Holley 350 or 500 cfm in a turbo application. The 2300 series Holley is a nice easy to tune and clean carb, but the 32/36's and H~W's, the emulsion tube must be calibrated to suit the off idle vacuum characteristics. The emulsion tube and mechanical secondary makes a H~W harder to tune for clean emissions, harder than a good old 2-bbl Holley 350 or 500cfm.

Thank you very much for your response. You obviously know your business here and I appreciate your advice and ifo. I read your response several times and I dig what you are saying about the other carbs as well. I do not have a carb yet and was figuring the weber would suit me best as the small primary would give the best mileage and it has the secondary side that I could modify to run rich but maybe the holley is something to look at, but I hate to kill my mileage as this is my daily driver and wish to keep the fuel consumption down unless I am into the boost. If I had a one laying around either way I would try it, but I dont. :( Might just have to bit the bullet and start experimenting. :beer:

I have a holly 390 cfm that I was planning on converting to blow through but I'm not sure if it will deliver enough fuel I was hoping with water/methanol injection it would be sufficient at over 12 psi of boost. So my decision is either converting the 390 to blow through or buying a 600 or 650 that's already converted but I do like the idea of fuel mileage and low end torque. I'm guessing the 390 would offer both I'd just have to talk my dad into letting me take apart his brand new 390

I would be interested in the 390 carb if you going bigger have some Holleys in 600, 650 and up

Back