Daily Driven Turbo 200?

Bobs68

Ok I've done lots of reading here and on other forums about turbo charging. I think my buddies and I have enough fab skills to mount and intercool the turbo. I know there is enough experience here to help me get it tuned. The question is-Is it possible to have a reliable turbo boosted six? Most of the ones I've read about were either full blown race cars, Will and Linc, or not enough long term info given, Bort 62.

I have a well ported large log head with a two barrel thru a Clifford adaptor, but will direct mount soon. Somewhere around 8.5 to 1 compression. I'm installing a 274/274 112 cam. To take advantage of this cam I need to up the compression to 10 to 1 or so, or go turbo. The motor has some miles but runs great and doesn't use any oil. I know I should rebuild before I put a turbo on it but....I probably won't.

I'm getting a Holley direct mount plate from Classic Inlines to direct mount the carb. I can then go any two barrel carb, Autolite, or Holley and with another adaptor a Weber. I see that the Holley 350 seems to be the carb of choice, but I wonder if one of the Autolites might be better. I would mount whatever we think is the easiest to tune.

So, I'm a manufacturing engineer, I'm friends with a proffesional welder and have lots of friends in our machine shop. You guys have the expertise. What's the verdict, can I run a turbo on a semi-daily driver. I drive it during good weather.

Bob

Bob,
I don't think Kelly's Falcon would be considered a "full blown race car". It's all steel, full bench seat interior, factory paint, 3.25 gears, 8.7:1 compression etc.
Yes it's mainly used for racing, but we drive it to car shows and out to eat once in a while.

My point is that we can easily drive it daily if we wanted or needed to. So you can also do the same.
The Holley 2300 carb is very easy to tune and it's very well supported from a parts standpoint.
Keep the boost down around 10lbs. and you'll be able to run pump gas and probably still use a Fel-Pro or Corteco head gasket.
If you have a good running engine....use it. Stick it in there, fabricate all of your plumbing and get it running. Play with it for awhile, while you figure out the tune up. Then if need be, build a more "turbo dedicated" motor.

Later,
Will

IMO, hell yeah!! go for it, if you get a smaller turbo for a quicker spin up you'll have it to your advantage and the engine will 'work' less as you drive it daily, that's the only difference that you need. the 200 can stand alot of abuse, but I' wonder if the direct mount 2bbl is really needed, boost is boost and it doesn't matter if it's going through a 1bbl hole or a 2bbl hole... now IF you do got the 2bbl direct mount, I recomend the brazing (compared to the putty build up) to withstand the boost.

this combo I'm sure will give roughly ~180hp and ~230tq at the tires which is pretty good. (most will only see that with an agressive build with the alum head)

Thanks everyone. I was hoping a daily driven turbo was possible. I'm researching, when I get a build plan together I'll post it for ideas.

Thanks again.

I have an opprotunity to buy a used Toyota turbo from a 3.0 liter Supra. Don't know any of the specifics but seeing as how it came off a 3.0 liter six..... There is no play in the shaft and it seems pretty clean. I think I can get if for $100.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

Bob,

Try to research what kind of turbo it is. Very important to check compressor maps for these else you may miss the mark on the turbo. There are some really good guides on turbo selection on the internet. While one may work for a 3.0, you may quickly push into the compressor stall zone with a 3.3L.

Back