turbo with a carb?

not a 6 yet

since you guys seem to know more about this method of turbocharging, i'll post here...

if i, say, decide to turbo my 2.0(it's still an inline) and can't get my hands on an EFI system(MS or otherwise), can i run boost through my factory carb? you mentioned it in "the idiots guide to turbocharging the falcon six", but i think the 2.0 OHC has a different carb... in fact, i'm not too sure what kind it has at all... i guess i could photograph it for you guys... but can it be done? will a fuel pump upgrade be necessary? for stage one, it would basically be the turbo attached to the n/a engine as it is, so boost levels would be very low(think 4-6 psi)... i figured i'd get the pieces working one at a time...lol

I'm not sure what kind of carb that is either!

But you can turbocharge it for sure! I turbo'd a N/A 2.3L in my Mustang easy enough. It's EFI though.
Carb mods are relitively easy. You'll need to check to see if the float is "solid". It'll look like black plastic. If it's a metal one then you'll have to replace it.

Or....don't they make a 2bbl intake manifold for those engines? Is so then just get a Holley 2300 2bbl and be done with it.

Later,
Will

ford offered the ranger with a "base" engine based on the 2.3, the 2.0... it was basically just a (sleeved, de-bored, or whatever) 2.3... all the other parts interchange between the 2.0 and the 2.3, except the pistons... and the ports are round IIRC... it runs 9.0 to 1 compression, has a carb and EGR equipment, no PS or vac assisted brakes, and originally developed 80 hp(73 if you lived in cali or bought it before 1985) at 4200 RPM and 106 lb/ft of torque at 2400-2600 RPM... running right it isn't too shabby, but keep in mind this is in a base model truck... 2WD, 5 speed, no a/c or other amenities such as power windows... it only weighs around 2800 pounds(1270 kg for those using the metric system)... the 2.0 was used until 1988, when it was simply dropped from the line up...

Nothing wrong with a base vehicle. Less to go wrong.

You at least get better MPG than mine. I have a 98 Ranger XLT 4x4 with extended cab, 4.0L V6 with 4spd AOD, 3600+ lbs.
If I get 18MPG, I'm happy. Got 20MPG once, in Ohio, going 55MPH.

Love your ride, man.

*I tried buying a NZ import 1988 Ranger shortbed last year, but it already had an EFI V8/T-5/9" Tank Fairlane diff in it. Black, still left hook, still bench seat,and really nice. As a side note, I'm interested what engine code you have on your VIN number, and if you have any front hubs or old four cylinder 6.75/6.875" Ranger axle parts. My 1982 Fox body Mustang needs five stud front Ranger 4cyl hubs and two 72 or 74 code Ranger 6.875" axles and 3.08 or 3.45 gears, my Stang uses the last of the little 2.73 ratio Mustang II based light duty diffs which also saw service in the early 2 and 2.3 litre Rangers.

Judging by the 3.73:1 diff ratio, you already have at least the preferable "86" code 7.5" diff, so there really isn't anything holding you back on turboing the sucker bar the 1-bbl carb. (Some Rangers ran a very basic light duty 6.75/6.875" diff with 3.45 or 3.08:1 gears, you can check it by the 72 or 74 axle code, see http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html)

The carb is a feeback 1-bbl Carter YF, a version of the F150 4.9 and 2.3 HSC front drive carb, Used also on all non EFI 2.3 Limas after October 1984.

The four cylinder carby Limas from that date were all hobbled back from the quite reasonable Holley Weber 2-bbl 5200/6200/6500 series to the 1-bbl to pass emissions easier. The mechanical secondary 5200 series 2-BBL carbs, unless its a Rochester or Carter, are notoriously bad on transition on emissions cycles.

Best option is to fit a 2-bbl adaptor or an earlier 2300 cc Ranger/Fox /Mustang II/Bobcat/Pinto Holley Weber 5200 series carb and intake manifold. A dime a dozen. On the Ranger Station, someone made a 1-bbl to 2-bbl adaptor Lima 2000 adaptor, worked well with the 2300 2-bbl carb.

Then go looking for a blow through carb conversion, which was done on 1300 and 1600 versions of the Pinto engine. See http://www.netikka.net/samih/tbokone.jpg

In Finland, there was an aftermarket Stockmann Turbo Ford Sierra 1600 Pinto OHC kit, and it worked great. 75 hp became 103 hp with just 7.5 psi of boost, a 38% boost with just an IHI RB5, as per Mazda 626 Turbo. Std carb, a special Carb bonnet, and turbo exhast, and you were away

See http://translate.google.co.nz/translate ... md%3Dimvns

See http://translate.google.co.nz/translate ... md%3Dimvns

The Aussies use the Holley Weber carb,they call it a Holley g180, and the similar 32/36 Weber it was copied off, and you can turbo the living daylights out of it as its got a return line which allows the pressure to be bleed off, so the floats and jets and power valve always work.

The littlest 2 liter Lima Ranger engine was a lot sweeter than the earlier 1970 to 1974 2000 cc Pinto and Capri engines. Thick, thick bores, 0.912" gudgeon pins with nice long con-rods, and just right for being turboed within an inch of its life. Generally, you can turbo right up to 14 pounds of boost with a 2-bbl carb, and still get good economy. We used to have 2 liter turbo conversions in NZ, and you'd drop from a 17.9 second quarter mile to 15.9 with just a 9 pound turbo kit. Stock was about 102 hp at 5000 and 111 lb-ft at 3500 here on our 9.2:1 non emissions cars, but with a turbo without an intercooler and 8:1 compression, it'd be 68 hp and 67 lb-ft more.

See http://www.turbogemini.com/Blow%20Throu ... %20Kit.htm for kit details

The EFI intake outflows the carb intakes. Racer Walsh sells a adapter plate that bolts to EFI lower to mount a Holley 2300 2bbl. Or you can get another adapter plate to bolt to 2300 plate to mount a Holley Weber 5200 (Weber 32/36).

http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA ... -Alum.html

If you have carb there should be a plate that bolts tointake to make it a 1bbl. Pop that plate off and bolt on this adapter to run Holley 2300 series 2bbl.

http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA ... -2bbl.html

This is an old post, but a goodie

One of the best conversions I can think of is a factory 1981-1983 Turbo conversion on the Capri 2.8 to the straight Solex/Pierburg 2-bbl 38 EEI carb, used on all the European 2.8 Capris and Granadas. It was something like 135 hp stock, but with just a 5.5 psi TO4 turbo, you could make 188 hp at the flyhwheel. It used just a plastic carb hat, and very few other tricks.

Since the 2.0 and 2.3 have a 2-bbl Factory manifold around off the shelf from the Fairmont and Mustang 2-bbls, that kit would be a no brainer. I think the Solex had an early Pinto Holley Weber 5200 style return line, but there was really nothing to the kit. The TVR 3000 Turbo by Broadspeed was similar to it, just a simultanoeus opening 2-bbl carb, turbo it, and your away. 138 hp becomes 265.

The 200 special build of ballistic 134 mph German Capri 2.8 Turbos, had 188 hp at 5500 rpm and 206 lb-ft with a Garret T04B50 turbo at 5.5 psi. (It was the birth of the SVO Motorsport homolgation for the Maclaren Capri, the Group A Mustang 5.0, and the IMSA GTP and SVO Mustang).

It had a simple 38 Solex 2-bbl turbo carb engine which was made Fords Mustang 2.3 carb Turbo an amature effort.

The problem with Fords only bad carb turbo, the 79 to 81 carb gasoline turbo 2.3 (not the 81-83 LPG turbo 2.3, which was an Ak Miller update) was just the intake manifold really, the rest was sound enough. A blow through carb is superior if done right.

If Ford had turboed the 3.3 instead of the 2.3, and done it the Janspeed way like the 2.8 Capri Turbo, with a 2-bbl carb, and good internals, little doubt the little six wouls have put paid to any small block Ford.

History showed that EFI and EECIV were the little 2.3's soultion set, and after 1984, Ford only ever offered one carb turbo again, and that was the 1984 Ford Laser Turbo in Australia, (KB-series Hatch Turbo version) and the Geelong and Broadmedows boys farmed out the turbo work to a third party, and foolishly downgraded the factory Mazda Familla/323/GLC EGi Turbo 91 RON system from feedback EFI to a leaded 97 octane Stromberg CDS175, and got similar problems to the 2.3 US effort a draw through turbo with poor mixture and carb problems. And that's what happens when really good engineers around the Ford empire don't share there development experiences. As a result, the aftermarket Mike Vine and AIT carb and EFI Turbo I6 Falcons were put on ice by Fords warranty engineers. The planned Aussie turbo SVO Falcon then became a non turbo SVO, and the planned 1987 EA Turbo was aborted and replaced by an aftermarket non turbo SVO Falcon, and, after AIT went bust, the Factory Turbo I6 didn't arrive untill 2003.

Another case of simple bad turbo design, and a lack of input from Ford engineers. Third party engineering could work in Europe and England, where the Turbo 2.8 carb and MFI and EFI Tickford Capris were astounding performers.

Its time for us to do the research, and see the only carb pit falls are poor carb and poor intake and exhast manifold design. Eliminate those pit falls, and you'll control detonation and get a good coversion.

Back