aussie turbo barra motor

have seen a few done like that. The clip on You Tube was taken at Heathcote Park Raceway not far from me. Note it was not street registered so that may be an issue.

i've been starting to research getting an aussie 6 of somekind into a supercoupe tbird (irs and comfy as hell). either a turbo barra or a xr6 if the prices ever come down.

this is the long term dream, I also want an early fox again with a 200, but a 200 isn't enough to push a giant tbird around.

Funky Cricket":3hym4rnx said:
a 200 isn't enough to push a giant tbird around.
sure it is, just add turbo

I would love to get my hands on a NA street barra engine (computer and all), if it wasn't for my current project I probably would have one on the way...

I don't know where to get parts for it, also the fact to get it attached to any US tansmission, preferably a t-5

I'm personally not into the electronic aspects of latter Barra cammers due to unique transmissions, electronics, engine mounts, sumps, emissions hassles and especially, over head cam related machining costs. I wouldn't be in a position to trouble shoot with Fords EEC5 related parts unless I'd done it myself. I have no problem with cross flow OHV's and Log heads, as it all within normal hot rodding practice. An Explorer 4.0 EEC 5 ECU on, say, a naturally aspirated X-flow EFI isn't difficult, but when your talking variable cam dohc's with big turbos and mega expensive gearboxes, and stock rods which on some versions aren't up to 400 hp, let alone 535 plus, then its too much risk.

The concept of putting a turbo on an OHC Ford flat lines at about 1500 hp with Nizpro's work, and on a dollar per hp rating, I'm happier in the 2500 to 5000 US market for carbed and injected 200 to 400 hp 3.3 and 4.1's, rather than on the factory 320 to aftermarket 536 hp mark, where costs landed in the US are more like 3500 to 10 000, with not a lot of good aftermarket support. To go to 1500 hp costs another 5000 US with Chev 6" rods, linered cylinder No1, Subaru spec custom pistons, with the likely hood that the crank might need more prep. So 10 000 US buys 412 to 444 hp 5 litre Modular DOHC, and 10 000 makes 535 hp or so. But the ancillary cost favours your dometic Ford engines, because Ford Australia were stuck with BTR gearboxes and although they are great, they are different to the US Bordeux/4R70's. Manuals are similar to the US 5 and 6 speed Tremecs and T45, but have clutch and bellhousing changes to suit the E, A, B and F series Fords.

Big problem for me is that Ford Australia didn't use the US 5R55 or US 6 speed auto bellhousing or transmission control programs for an automatic turbo, so you'll have to revert back to the Dellow Powerglide or C9/C10 bellhousing kits, or find someone who can do Maserati GT 3200 reprograms of the BTR gearbox, or Aston Martin reprograms of the ZF 6HP26 gearbox. The EEC 5 can be made to work with the US gearboxes, but unless you buy an Aussie 5speed 5R55S case, torque converter and 160 teeth flexplate, the US parts don't fit the Barra Turbo.

To get 500 hp plus, you can get CAPA, Nizpro or Herrod kits, there are others. If you don't have the bits already, a rebuilt and retuned turbo barra is about 14,000 Aussie bux if you tick all the boxes, including the cost of your standard XR6 turbo engine and manual or BTR/ZF auto gearbox.5R55 as found on the 2008 to 2010 non turbo Barra sixes isn't supported. They all get SCA Flash tunes on the EECv, so the pacakage is dyno tuned with the 4, 5 or 6 speed gearboxes. Base price for good BA to FG's vary. Having a std 103 pin EEC5 with an available image to burn is the only real icing on the cake. The tough as manual gearboxes can be left in Aussie, and a US Tremec or T45 or a rebuild of the Aussie 5R55 would allow you to fit it to any chassis. The Territory sump is ramped back like the Explorer V6's, and able to be reversed and reworked to suit all S shells (what all Fox bodies are in Fords internal codes, including the SN95) including the non S-shell but S-type Jag based S197

Barra Turbos aren't really common, but when you consider all the other bits that go with them, especially the later 270 KW rods, retro fit kits to stock non turbo Barra 183/190/195's are inconvenient. Easier to get a good original. Stuff filters down all the time. Picking up good 295hp versions of the GT40 5.0 is not that hard in NZ or Australia, but the sales of turbos were more continuous over the last 9 years, and its not hard finding an XR6, F6, or Territory turbo 4.0. I think sales were about 5% of the total Barra six vehicle sales from 2003 to date, about half a million Falcons and Torries, or around 50 000 turbos to choose from. 1971 to 1974 2V Falcons were like less than 1% of total Falcon production, 12 000 compared to something like 200000 XY,XA's and XB's so equiped, so in comparison, the Turbo is a big volume item.

And what is there to choose?

Stage 1 376-402 HP Stage 2 402-443 HP Stage 3 443-469 HP Stage 4 469-496 HP Stage 5 496-536 HP
Plus another 13 to 20 HP with a cold air kit and K&N filter.
Stage 6 536+HP

http://www.capa.com.au/xr6_stage6.htm
http://www.capa.com.au/xr6.htm
http://www.capa.com.au/kits_ford_courier.htm

Nizpro
http://www.nizpro.com.au/

Herrod Motorsport
http://www.herrodmotorsport.com.au/Herr ... fault.aspx

Back