flowmasters with supercharger yes or no?

67chrrybucket

Ive read on this forum that a baffled muffler does not play well with a turbo but what about a supercharger as far as i can tell on youtube videos the flowmasters sound the best but i dont want to hinder the performance any advice thanks

Back pressure in a muffler can restricts gas flow across the trurbine wheel. With a supercharger this is not a problem. Flowmasters as with any other quality performance muffler are design with minimal backpressure. The baffle system in them are designed to break-up and modify sound waves. So the operative word is "quality performance muffler". Remember the original turbo-mufflers that evrybody jump on and that started a re-think in muffler design, the turbo muffler for the Corvair and they were baffled

Thad":5bgirac9 said:
Remember the original turbo-mufflers that evrybody jump on and that started a re-think in muffler design, the turbo muffler for the Corvair and they were baffled

1960's exhaust technology is probably not up to par with 2011 exhaust technology. Probably. Look in any modern muffler designed for use with a turbo and you can look right through it - no baffles, no chambers, just some sort of dampener to help reduce noise from exhaust expansion.

Turbos change exhaust flow by virtue of the turbine in the middle of the exhaust that smooths exhaust pulses, much the same effect that a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster creates by bouncing sound around internally. Putting a chambered/baffled muffler in the middle of an already smooth exhaust stream is more or less pointless. All you need on a turbo, as mentioned above, is something to dampen exhaust expansion. A cheapo glasspack does a fantastic job of that, although heat from a turbo will usually wreck a glasspack in a fairly short period of time. I ran a single 3" glasspack on my Saab for a couple years - despite ~300+ crank hp from a 2.0l four cylinder, it was a super mellow sound and quiet enough to not wreck the ride.

Since a supercharger is all on the induction side, it does very little to change the characteristic of exhaust flow. Assuming you've got properly sized pipes for your output, any muffler that works with a naturally aspirated motor will do fine with a supercharger.

Flowmasters restrict too much. Go with a straight through design to minimize backpressure. Magnaflows are the best IMO. But if it's street driven, you may want a little backpressure.

And that's based on what? (Flowmasters are too restrictive ) , there is more to a muffler than air flow , You have a 10sec street car that you changed mufflers and it picked up , What ? to give a statement , based on opinion is ok , but it really is just that , Ive said it before , I don't rehash magazine articles , give advice, copy popular belief , If I haven't used it , or done it I don't post.and IMO when it comes to a part selection question neither should the inexperienced , If he asked what Color to Paint a Car , Different story .

On subject but a little off.
Couple months ago working a rig near Laredo stop by Border Patrol at night on a ranch road maybe 8 or 9 miles from the main road. They did a license/ registration check, we had a little chat. Before leaving one agent remarked my truck was too quiet for ranch roads at night, said I would not want to come around a curve and suprise some one. He suggested I get a glass pack and let it make noise. So first chance got one. Sounds good 4.0 V-6 through a single V-8 Cherry Bomb.

So if anybody wants a government agency recommendation for a muffler -- glass pack it is at least along the Tx -Mx border.

Didn't mean to offend. I use only magnaflows on my big block builds. This is from my buddy's always trying out new combos. For an all out motor, magnaflow wins hands down in our machines. If we were running on the street, then I would choose a set of flowmasters or equivalent muffler. I am currently building a street friendly motor. Desktop dyno reads 608hp... My definition of streetable may be a bit skewed. As this is a six forum, I don't wanna jack it. I just wanted to state my opinion on mufflers.

Was not offended , just wanted a justification of the statement , I have one 6cyl the rest are V-8's , and I do this for a living , my Blown 390 makes over 600 through the mufflers and they are 2.5 Flowmaster Delta Flows , I'm sure there is more there especially if they were 3 inch set , BUT , not much room to run that all the way out the back , Ive seen flow tests , and Hp tests , they don't always jive ( highest flow not always highest HP ) all is good ttyl

:unsure: Hi all.Happy New Year.Today I heard a 300 6 with a turbo set up with NO mufflers at all.No idea who owned it.Tag indicated he was from West"By God"Virginia.Mid `60`s F100.
Sounded nice at idle and not offensive on acceleration.Guess that the turbo moderates the exhaust sound.This fellow had an Offy intake.4 barrel carb.Edelbrock,I think.Exhaust manifolds were EFI type,and the pipes were just bent up for the turbo mount.The exhaust pipe appeared to be 3".
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Back