Copper Head Gasket For a 200 Turbo

one70six

My machine shop is ready to 'O'-Ring my 200 but I need to find a copper head gasket before they can finish it up. Where is a good place to get one either made or off the shelf? I have called SCE Gaskets and they said they could build one for me if I send them an OE so I packed up the steel shim and sent it to them. The quote was rather steep because they have never built one for our engines, but I will use them if I have to. Just wanting some opinions on where to take my business from the community. If anyone has already had one made somewhere before it would at least be cheaper than having a custom built from scratch(No Template).

SCE wants around $180ish for the gasket plus around $300ish to build the 1st one. Every gasket I order after that will be around the $180 mark since they have the template made.

Thoughts, concerns, comments... :unsure:

PM Will @ Does10's. He is the only one I know for sure that uses/used one. His supplier would already have the template made if that's the way it works.

I'm kind of surprised it is not a matter of "scanning" a stock gasket into a water jet cutter and letting it do its thing. I have seen it done, it is pretty cool. 8)

Apparently it's not that easy with them. They talked like they use CNC and not a water jet at SCE but who knows. I'm sure there is a level of skill mocking one up in CAD or Solidworks if you don't have a scanner. I PM'd Will and he is probably a busy guy so when I hear from him hopefully I'll have another source for the gasket.

Thanks Fox!

One thing I'd like to caution about is using stock gaskets and, especially shim gaskets, as a template. The gaskets bow out around the intake valve excessively. It doesn't match the chamber within a mile. I have no clue why Ford did this unless they planned on putting larger valves and chambers in a at a later date and it never happened. The problem with the bow out is you loose the ability to cut a round O-ring and its a pain to make a contoured circle. You also loose sealing area.

What I am saying is, never use a gasket for any kind of lay out work concerning the chamber and the cylinder. Lay the cylinder head on the block without pistons using machinists dye, scribe the chamber to the cylinder or vice versa. Also, be careful when unshrouding the valves. Its easy to get them larger than the bore. There was a time when notching the bore was done but with the turbo it would be a mistake - too much heat would get to the rings.

Thanks for the tips drag. May I ask what head gasket you are running in your 200? Given your best ET, your little six is rocking so I know you're doing something right. I would rather not reinvent the wheel here, it would be much better to learn what has worked best from the community / guys such as yourself.

Thanks again!

The best gaskets available seem to be the Felpro printo seal. I, like Will, also had issues getting gaskets to hold up. The area between cylinders 3 and 4 would burn out and had to be changed often. A lot was due to my tune up being off. There was no wide bands available when I was doing this and turbocharging was a black art at that time. I would start out with a Felpro gasket until you get it tuned it will act like a fuse and protect your pistons, rods and cylinder walls. Then switch to a copper gasket. I've heard very good things about the Cometic multilayer gaskets. But at this point they do not make one for our engine. I plan on trying a Ausi Barra gasket that they make. It will take some modifications and I'm not sure if it would work on a daily driver.

PM'd ya back! Sorry it's a little late.......work is sucking the life out of me!
GasketWorks has done a very good job with our stuff. I had them change the water jacket steam holes to just that....holes. Both Felpro and Corteco have large triangles for some of those holes. I wanted more surface area between the water/compression/oil areas as possible. So he was able to custom make them as I required.
He also has them for the 300!
Later,
Will

Back