Turbo 300 Install - 69 F100 - VIDEO

My silicone intake coupler was getting a bit toasty from being too close to the turbo Y-pipe, so I used a stainless exhaust coupler instead, so far its working well.

Burned_Intake_Coupler_Small.JPG

Stainless_Intake_Coupler_Small.JPG

My turbo drain line was leaking a bit, and my brother had some 10-AN line left over from his dragster, so I bought a couple of fittings and redid the drain:

AN_Turbo_Drain_Small.JPG

Finally, I slapped some gauges in a piece of aluminium and put them in place of the instrument cluster so I'd have something to look at while driving ;) still need a speedo, tach and fuel level, but driving's not as adventurous with those. Sometime I'll finalize on a cluster design and make a pretty one.

Testing_Dash_Small.JPG

Priorities for things left to do are:

Make another video of it running/driving (y)
Finish plumbing in the wastegate (the BOV is doing ok keeping the boost down for now, but I've got to be pretty careful how hard I step on it).
Finish building the idle speed controller (right now it idles at 1600 after it warms up, not so fun)
More tuning
Hook up the SPOUT wire so megasquirt can control ignition timing

BIG 6 farmer - I'm glad you like it! I'm not too worried about the Y-pipe, its 14ga and welded pretty well. Even if it cracks it won't be hard to fix. I'm more concerned that one of the manifolds might crack. The last 4.9 I tore down had both manifolds cracked and it wasn't turbo.

I know its been said before but: Calibrate your instruments!

Its probably not too critical on some things, but I just re-calibrated my wideband which changed it 3 points (9.x AFR to 12.x) from what it was reading! I had previously been tuning a VW with it for a customer and with the different exhaust setups it changed that much.

Ok, so there's plenty wrong with my truck still (good thing you can't read all the gauges since several of them don't work), but here is a test run that's building around 5psi of boost.

(48 MB video) - http://www.wiricksgarage.com/public_pics/Turbo_300_Test_Run.AVI

By "intense" I mean with the twitchy bendix box in this truck and the short 1/4 mile stretch of road I've got, plus the laptop trying to fly in my lap, there's plenty of action ;) Definately going with a saginaw box like I have in my other truck when I get the chance. If you can see the speedometer at all its way off, doing 25 when it reads 20, 45 when it reads 30 etc...

So I installed an intercooler in the front of the truck yesterday. I also switched over the grill to my nice ranger grill with good headlights. Here's some pics:

Intercooler_Installed_Small.JPG

Intercooler_Mounting_Small.JPG

You can see in this one how I bolted the intercooler father forward at first, but then the hood latch interfered so I moved it back
Intercooler_Bolts_From_Top_Small.JPG

And a shot with the new grill:
Ranger_Grill_Installed_Small.JPG

nice work! how does the power feel with 5psi on an otherwise stock engine?

it looks like you have the IAT sensor mounted between the filter and the turbo, do you have another one mounted after the turbo?

I've never driven this truck with a stock 300, but compared to early 90's trucks I've driven its an amazing increase. I've never done rolling 2nd gear burnouts in another 6 cyl truck. I'm using the IAT on the intake manifold. The inlet pipe to the turbo I re-used off another car and just left its sensors installed to plug the holes. Sometime i'll hook up more iat sensors and have a go at measuring the efficiency of my system, but for now still just making it work.

Curious @ what RPM do you start to get Boost ? Do you have 5 lbs. @ say 1200-1500 ? Thinking you nailed it on the size of your Turbocharger.

agreed, that seems like you hit a great combo for a daily driver/workin truck, good power and no lag that i could tell in the video. the turbo is a T3/T40E, so a hybrid i guess?

I really need to get proper datalogging setup, it wouldn't take long, but things have been super busy here. So short answer: I don't know the rpms vs boost yet, there's no real lag to speak of though. When I get some real data I'll post it here for yall. I've still got to add timing advance to the system, which I think will wake it up a bit more. Right now its running with the PIP plug pulled so I think its locked out around 8 degrees or so. Maybe this Saturday I'll make a little more progress, though I also need to finish welding up another turbo Y-pipe for someone else who wanted one.

Ok guys, I took a quick run in the truck with Tuner Studio data logging turned on. Here is the result.
3rd_gear_Turbo_300.png

Here is the tuner file: http://www.wiricksgarage.com/public_pics/3rd_Gear_Run.msl

Here are some notes on the graph:
3rd_gear_Turbo_300_Comments.png

No boost controller - bottom side of wategate hooked directly to intake manifold
Ignition timing locked out (noted previously)
No intercooler
Run made in 3rd gear

from weather.com
OAT 51 degrees
BARO 30.26 inHg
HUMID 92%

Tried out the new 44mm wastegate today. It was just open dump, but it regulated the boost quite well and I wasn't able to get it to creep at all. Super happy with the upgrade so far.

Back