Turbo 250. What Do i need?

1961falconrat

Hey guys, I have a stock 69 250, and i want to make it pretty quick, and I came across a Garrett T3 at the local wrecking yard and thought that would be the way to go. So I was wondering what I would need to do the engine to run it. As in, Cam, Compression ration, head work, lower end build, exhaust to take the turbo. And what ever else i need to run it.

Thanks! Vincent

Follow Lincs 200 and First Fox's posts. The low mount X code 1983 Fairmont 3.3 engine is similar in layout to the L-code 1969 250 engine, they are both low mount engines, so just copy his set up, and use First Foxes as a cross check. First Fox's is a high mount block, so its a little different, but what works on a 200 works on a 250.

Go knock 'em out!

Turbo
J pipe from manifold to turbo or header
Downpipe from turbo to exhaust
Piping from turbo to carb
Carb that can handle boost. Im finally starting to like my 2300 2 barrel
Boost referenced fuel pump or regulator. Im runnin a high flow elec pump and referenced regulator with return
Ignition setup can be mild to wild. Im running an MSD 6BTM to a locked duraspark distributor
Im sure there are a few odds and ends Im missing but you get the idea

As for the motor...I built a motor back in the day, freshened up lower end, 60over pistons, new cam, head work on a big log etc etc. This motor did ok but I chased gremlins along the way. Eventually it cracked into the waterjacket when installing some ARP head studs. I tossed a BONE STOCK, rebuily 10 years ago by some redneck down the street, 200 out of my buddy's 67 with my cam, head and head studs. I havnt popped a headgasket since and the stock motor has handled MORE boost from a bigger turbo thanks to all the learning I did on the built motor (getting fuel/timing and head studs figured out). If your motor runs decent, I say toss all the turbo stuff on it and see how you like it, THEN build the motor if you wanna keep it. I have another stock 200 layin in the corner waiting its turn to go in and have no plans to build it up at this moment. Have fun and read all you can on here. Does10s is also an awesome awesome resource...pick his brain and check out his wife's Falcon for inspiration.

Matt

Back