66sprint6's Boosted Inline still alive and doin well!

66Sprint6

Famous Member
Hey guys, been a while!!!

Once again, priorities had to be reshuffled and unfortunately the automotive hobby as a whole had to be put to the side. Eventually things lightened up and I was able to return to the garage and get back to work. VERY long story somewhat shortened, I sold off my 90 Mustang Coupe and the 393 I was building for it and now have alot more room and time for the 66. I had the chance to attend a dyno day last summer to see how the old turbo inline was doing as well as see if we couldnt figure out how rich it was and what we could do to lean it out. First pull she laid down a VERY miserable 151 RWHP at 8:1 rich :shock: We leaned it out best we could at the moment and gave it another shot. Very next pull knocked out 243 RWHP and just over 300TQ at 9:1 rich.

DynoGraph.jpg

I worked a tad on the carb to lean it out after the event, tossed together a 3" downpipe to dual Flowmaster 40s and FINALLY put some wheels and tires on it (17" TT2s) and cruised her up to Gatlinburg for the Shades of The Past show we attend every year for the past 5 years. Goofing around, showing off a bit while cruising the strip I upset the car and limped it into a parking lot. After a very miserable time trying to find the issue and limping it 4 hours home I found trash in the carb prompting a rebuild. Fast forward to this year's show, I rebuilt the carb, chased some cooling issues and set out for Gatlinburg with my GF and a trunk full of tools (thank God!!!).

IMG_20130906_141457_480_zpsebf035bb.jpg

IMG_20130906_141523_831_zps8d509d2a.jpg

Didnt make it an hour in before she started heating up again. Pulled over 4 times along the way to burp the system and add coolant. After making it there I was bummed to see that she was STILL running super rich at idle, smoking through the exhaust thanks to this and a valve seal being popped up and still had the nasty lean stumble between 10" and 0 on the vacuum gauge when attempting to accelerate. :banghead: Took the valve cover off, popped the offending valve seal back on and leaned out the idle on the carb a tad and she was at least happy enough to cruise around for the day

IMG_20130907_094705_888_zpse48ee150.jpg

One good thing about popping the hood so many times thru the weekend was that it allowed me to "break down" and surprise my Girlfriend on the road between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge with a very important question. She said yes and was COMPLETELY caught off guard!

Car ran like doodoo the rest of the trip and I had some very dangerous thoughts about swapping the ole 6 out and tossing a reliable, simple and easy 302 together. :nono: I had a hunch as to why the carb was so messed up making driveability no good and might even account for the overheating and decided to play that hunch first and if it didnt work Ide consider the 302 swap a bit more. The carb was build by QuickFuel and ordered by a shop I worked with LONG ago. I believe there was a mistake in the ordering and they thought I was running Methanol rather than Gas, where as I was gonna run meth injection as an intercooler. They sent the carb with a meth dist. block rather than a pump gas and its been a pain in the butt every since. I ordered up a gas block, slapped it on with NO changes from the old setup, crossed my fingers and held my breath....lets just say the six banger is here to stay as far as Im concerned!!! The lean stumble is completely gone, power is back up and altho she's still super rich I can actually tweak it out now! I am super close to getting it as close to perfect as I can and she runs like a champ. She was always quick back in the day but you had to really work to get it out of her, now its like driving a normal car! I love it and cant wait to get it dialed in a little better. I will try to get it on the dyno again sometime and see what kinda power she puts down soon if I can!

Cliffs Notes:
Car has never ran right, has given me more trouble than good, finally reached the end of my rope, nearly scrapped entire project then the correct carb parts made her fun again and she's here to stay for now! Oh, and now the car cant be sold cause I used it to ask GF to marry me!

Missed you guys, look forward to lurking around and seein whats been goin on since I was last around!!!
Matt

I appreciate it! Its comin along finally, I was able to lean the idle out a tad last night but didnt have time to really see how spot on I could get it. I hope to have it all ironed out before i tear it back apart for the winter to fix a couple things bugging me.

Matt

Welcome back. I've been married 23 years to Mrs Xctasy. Love, communication and understanding, and honoring your comitments. Its a traditional covenant with a third party witness, not a contract. I'm a roading Contractors, but contracots, even good ones, quit and go lookin for better options. People who enter into a covenant don't consider anything else but being comitted to success. Failure isn't an option.

It was your testimony to the simplicity of Ford sixes that prompted me to buy an 81 Mustang, and yours, Linc200's and other members here have inspired me.

Well done, thats about 308 flywheel hp! The torque is what our F6 Typhon Falcon turbos put out at the flywheel. MASSIVE!

You nailed it Xctacy! Its not all about lovey dovey feelings but rather a team, a partnership and loving/sticking with each other even when things are goin rough. Weve been together for 5 years now and I look forward to many many more!!!

Im really glad this carb is coming around or else I was really close to pulling the six and sticking it in the corner for another project car down the road and replacing it with a simply 302. Now I wont even harbor such irrational thoughts :nono: She's got more power in her I know it, just gotta lean her out quite a bit and see if the ole six can handle it. I have some free time this week so Im gonna try to get it tweaked out, then start on a new project...adapting some E30 BMW Recaros to fit!

Matt

Been a bit since I last updated...to catch things up a bit I went in for a bare-bones rebuild on the bottom end, freshen up the head myself, rebuild the turbo, new intercooler and piping and figured that would be it for me. Cylinder walls were rough so custom RaceTech pistons, ARP rod and main bolts, stock rods were tossed into the mix as was an Aussie head found just down the highway from me and a custom Comp cam from Ed Curtis. Now all is in the air, things are getting moved all over and I still got a ways to go but Im thinking this setup should run pretty ok! Here are a couple pics of the progress.

New intercooler behind custom cut front valance. No more GIANT intercooler sticking out like a sore thumb.

I did all the work outside of the final paint on the valance and am super happy with how it turned out.

2.5" intercooler piping replacing the tiny 2" crap I had before.

I cut it and had a freind TIG it for me. Gonna have to make some adjustments as it was all done for the old setup (pictured below). Now with the Aussie head in place, the turbo needs to be moved and the pipe going to the carb needs to be longer. Looks like Ill need to pay him another visit.

Motor pulled and ready for the machine shop

New radiator for a 67 and up Mustang

The US log manifold wont work with the Aussie head so my old J pipe setup is out the window. It would have needed some tweaking anyways to move the turbo out of the intakes way but Im now forced to do what I wanted to do a while back...build a header. Ive been going back and forth with a couple folks on a flange so I can get started and should have one here local in a week or so, so while Im waiting I thought ide tackle another needed change. Alternator relocation. In order to give the turbo all the room I could I decided to move the alternator to the driver's side. Couldnt track down a bracket from a Granada PLUS i realized the 3g alternator Im using is too big and would hit the plug wires on the dizzy so I got to work on my own. Its ugly but effective and will work till I can figure out how to make it look better. Decided to toss it all together to see how my hood clearance would be with the new intake and carb hat...

Hood closes no problem and it looks pretty ok in there!!! The intercooler piping will be modded to fit right and the ugly alt will be ok I guess but otherwise I think it looks awesome. Thats where Im at now, gonna finish up some wiring and little odd jobs till the flange shows up and I can carry on! Ill try to update as I go!

Matt

:beer: Yes thats packaged way better and it's really looking much cleaner! I can't wait to hear how it runs with the new 2V head combo. Good luck (y)

Thanks guys. Itll be a bit but Ill get it back up and going as soon as I can. Once its all broken in and running half decent Ide like to track down a good blow thru carb guy in the area (good luck) and see if I cant get some help fine tuning it on the dyno. Till then Ill just make sure its happy A/F wise on the street and go from there.

Matt

I have one and tossed it in but it didnt make enough of a difference for me to be happy. It clears the dizzy perfectly BUT looks exactly the same as the bigger version in the same spot. I tossed the bigger version back in the bracket, spaced it up off the engine mount a good 1/4" which allowed me to rotate it back towards the valve cover. This cleans it up enough for me to be alot happier. No matter what I use itll still stick out a bit but so long as it works and everything clears fine Ill get over it :nod: Ill toss up a pic after the bracket dries and I have it all installed.

Matt

Ok, i know its not much but Im MUCH happier with the looks of this setup now.

Radiator is mocked up as well and I will be ordering a new SPAL low profile 16" fan to fit the gap. Itll be tight but it SHOULD fit and I can run it as a puller rather than a pushed like the old setup.

Forgot to toss this on here but figured it would help others doing the Aussie/Aluminum head swap. I swapped the V8 gas pedal in when I went with the 2 barrel on the stock log. Worked great but I couldt figure out how to make it work with the Aussie intake and the carb finally pointing the right direction. Did some research and came up with NOTHING for the little six, but found a couple people putting together cable setups for their 289/302s using a 69+ Mustang gas pedal and Lokar cable. Ordered up the parts and got to work!

69+ pedal moves the entire linkage inside the car where the V8 and I6 pedals have the linkage in the engine bay.

The BRAND NEW Scott Drake pedal had some issues...mainly the part the pedal bolted on was backwards. I looked all over the internet and found numerous stock pedals to confirm. I ended up cutting it off and welding it back the right way in the end.

Mocked it up, made sure everything was where I wanted then drilled 2 holes to mount it up

Drilled the hole for the Lokar cable, cut the top of the pedal linkage and turned it sideways to work better with the Lokar setup and welded it back. Then ran it to the carb, made some brackets to hold it in place and cut the cable and its sheath to length.

Works perfect and looks great too! Very clean setup, I really like it so far!

Matt

Thanks!

Tracked down an early 200 with adjustable rockers, went to buy the rockers and came home with the whole motor :LOL: Got them installed along with some cupped pushrods that the owner of the head gave me. They are slightly shorter than the stock pushrods and appear to be slightly beefier. Anyways, on the initial, dry lifter adjustment the adjusters were nearly bottomed out to get the propper adjustment but Im gonna run with em anyways and see if its better once the motor is broken in and I readjust them.

Realized I never posted a pic of the flange for the header. 1/2" mild steel and the guy who made the drawing for me (local Grand National guy) went ahead and put 1.5" round ports in to make things a little easier.

Everything lined up spot on perfect but putting the bolts all in together was a pain. I drilled out two mounting holes just a tad and now it goes together nicely. Im still waiting on the pipe to show up for the header as well as a new fan so I can continue plugging away at this thing.

Matt

You might want to drill the hole bigger and put a grommet in it, on the cable bracket running along the back of your engine. Chances pretty good it will rub through the vinyl coating on the cable and let corrosion in.

Not a bad idea, I could very easily put that together, thanks!!!

Nothing big to talk about, still waiting on parts (story of my life) altho I have come up with the willpower to tackle some other wiring jobs that need addressing so I guess Ill keep on them for now. I hate wiring but at the same time, I love when its cleaned up, works right and looks good so I guess Ill tackle it little by little.

Matt

Got all the pieces...

...and have spent 2 days going NOWHERE :banghead: Im getting the hang of it tho and should have something to show soon enough. Im gonna tack it all together and have my buddy TIG it for me for sure but otherwise Im hoping to have something half decent to run with when Im done. It wont be an all out equal length tuned blah blah blah header but it should flow better than the stock manifold/Jpipe setup and will hopefully leave plenty of room for the 3" downpipe and intake to live together happily. Wont even be able to see it once everything is in place but Im still gonna try to make it look decent while Im at is as well.

Matt

Back