Need Help Identifying Turbo

Turbo 300

I'm one step closer to having all the parts for my build. Picked up a turbo the other day from a kid I know. It came off a later-model Dodge Cummins. Problem is that I don't know exactly what model the turbo is and I need to replace the CHRA because the wheels have been damaged. There is no ID tag on the turbo and doesn't appear to ever have been.

The intake housing is stamped with the following: 3594496 REV 12
Exhaust housing is stamped with the following: 3503304 07
9 4
3430 0
The numbers on the CHRA are barely visible. I think these are correct: 389805
18 5F3
The intake measures 3 3/4 inches, compressor outlet measures 2 1/4 inches. Exhaust outlet is 3 3/4 inches.

On the compressed side outlet neck the following is stamped in ink: 99918

*I was going to include photos, but apparently they are too large. I'm not real computer savvy, and I don't know how to resize.

Any help is appreciated.

Yeah, looking at the service PDF on Holset's website, it does look like an HY35W. Over on one of the turbo forums a guy suggested it was an HE351, but those seem to be variable vane and the illustrations in the PDF don't look like what I've got.

Any other suggestions for verifying this so I know what chra to order?

there is a HE351CW which is wastegated and a HE351VE which is variable vane. IIRC the HE351CW is an updated version of the HY35 and may carry the same bearings - not sure about the wheels

Sorry, I should have updated this, but there didn't seem to be any traffic on it anymore. A guy on a turbo enthusiast website identified it as a Holset HE341W. It's some kind of hybrid HX35 with a larger exhaust turbine. According to those guys, this should be the ideal turbo for my 300 and it's intended use.

I appreciate the help here as well, and I'll be back asking more questions, I'm sure. When I get started putting things together, I'll keep y'all updated and post up some pics. I've been having conversations on several forums regarding turbos and propane power. I can't wait to get this thing built and on the road.

IIRC - thats a 9cm^2 turbine housing. You may find the turbo to be noisy on the highway. I have a 8blade HX35w (12cm^2 housing) which seems great. My prior turbo had a 8cm^2 housing and was(for me) too small.

Are you going to use the internal wastegate or an external?

If I can find an adjustable wastegate actuator, I was planning on using the internal one. I've read that it needs to be enlarged to run on a gas engine. I've got a friend with a machine shop that could bore it out for me. Do you have any idea how much it needs to be enlarged?

I punched my gate out with a 1" drill bit in a hand drill. Then used a die grinder to smooth and blend the WG opening into the volute. I went on ebay and found a larger flapper valve for a DSM - ground the stud off of the old flapper, put on the new flapper on the arm and welded a washer onto the flapper stud to allow the flapper to float on the arm.

The HX35 is a little different than what you have, but I also did work on the back cover of the turbo to allow the flapper to open further.

Back