Turbo mount on a 80s cat exhaust manifold

larryejoh

Had any one tried to use the 80s cat exhaust manifold with a turbo. I was thinking of making a plenum for the 4 inch opening to mount my 84 Mustang SVO turbo on.

Would this cause too much restriction and turbulence if I try to divert the flow 90 degree in about 4 inches.

I'm sure it's not optimal, but fairly common. Take a look at the elbow coming off the turbo in an SVO or XR4Ti or Saab 900 for example. It's pretty tight. If you wanted to, you could probably use one of those elbows! :)

The simplicity of a fabbed bolt on adapter for turbo direct to Exh manifold sounds good.

... also researching forced induction, the 80's Cat exhaust looks like an option . 'Been checking Fairmont junkers but 80's - 200s seem rare in the N.E. area .

Interested to see where physically the Cat exh/Turbo would be located in an older (roundbody) installation, some mods to firewall or floor are simple but shocktower and steering shares space. (recently worked on a WRX where turbo is low , access is simple on a lift from below and keeps straight exhaust path easy)

from a related post:

J-Pipe setup could place turbo in easily accessible battery area, also a simple option considered:

any ideas on intercoolers?.

have fun

I was thinking of using 1/2 plate over the opening and weld on a 3 inch schedule 40 elbow to a turbo flange. I was thinking about locating the elbow toward the block side of the manifold discharge directly under the discharge from the log. I've found some 3 inch pipe to T3 flanges to use.

This is a large 4.5" bolt iron exhast on a Maverick 250 mit turbo. There is space on any X box Ford with the taller 250...the 200 is 1.666" lower at the shock tower

Rustang 250 found the 250 Maverick with large log exhast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4joTIbuCl8

posting.php?mode=quote&f=22&p=531918

xctasy":9pm5kgvd said:
When I decided Ak Miller, drag200stang, does10's and Lincs200 had it right because they used low mount starter engines, and everything became simple as a result.

Its even simpler if you use a Code 5(67), L (68-79) or C code (80 to 81) 250 six from 67 to 81, and even better than heaven on a stick when you have a 4.25" foot ball converter cast iron header. Turbo installations aren't any more simple than these.

Lincs 200 didn't use this exhast because he's a competeant welder, and in his experience, the 2.125" standard exhast was easy enough to hook a J tube to. I'd say the 4.25 four bolter is even easier.

For me, this is the only combination to use, low mout or high, the late 1980 onwards exhast was a specifc change for the i6. And Ford wouldn't have changed it for no reason.

With room to move, room for an alternator, starter and big ass Tecumseh/York/Motorcraft a/c pump, look how simple the C code exhast turbo adaptor is!

Back