A fully built 300. Best options?

Which 6 Cyl Ford engine is your favorite?

• 1.1 226

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1.2 254

• 2.1 215

• 2.2 223

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 2.3 262

• 3.1 144

• 3.2 170

• 3.3 200

• 3.4 250

• 3.6 Ford of Australia I-6

• 4.1 240

• 4.2 300

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
So, Im new here, but this is a great forum.

I have a 1993 F-150 Flareside 2wd, 300 straight 6 with E4OD and 8.8 rear axle. My buddy gave me his stock turbo from his 7.3 stroker. :banghead: The engine and trans both need alot of work, im going on 340,800 miles on both without rebuilds, and they are starting to show the signes of their age and abuse. I have been thinking of doing a complete performance rebuild of both and am new to having a 6 cyl truck, all my others have been 5.0's.

I want to bore it out a little bit, port and polish the head and upgrade all the internals, if i do so, can i use the same pistons and rods from a 5.0, i believe the stroke is the same, so the rods should be the right length... also, my truck is efi and i want to keep it that way, i have looked high and low, but havent found any upgraded intake manifolds, do they exhist :unsure:: The trans will be built to hold up to 850 HP, so ill be good there, but i want to get good power and great torque for the engine, if anyone has any sugestions, please let me know :!:

Thanks,
Sean :beer:

5.0 pistons and rods aren't even close. :roll:
You've got a lot of reading to do before you even start on this project
Start with the FAQ's in the big-block six forum

the stroke length on a 302 is not close either. and there are several measurments that determine the proper rod length, stoke is only one of them.

voting on the poll is not working.

thanks guys, and idk why its not working.... gotta look into that.

I do still have alot of research to do.

any suggestions on my plans would help too

Having seen previous posts regarding the limitations of the stock ECM, you might have to upgrade substantially if you are seeking power levels much above 250 HP or so. So that could push the total cost involved to a much higher level. So just know that going into this.

StrangeRanger":1dypuqmu said:
5.0 pistons and rods aren't even close. :roll:
You've got a lot of reading to do before you even start on this project
Start with the FAQ's in the big-block six forum

Ya I think we could do without the dramatic sarcasm. :chill:
Its comments like these that make guys want to stop coming to these places to learn.
Be helpful. Maybe a suggestion that would fit his application. :stick:

8) ok sean, lets start with some numbers for the 300 six. we start with a 4" bore, and a 4" stroke. when you do the math;

bore x bore x stroke x number of cylinders x .7854 = displacement, you get 4 x 4 x 4 x 6 x .7854 = 301.59ci

now with a 10" deck height, and a 6.2" rod, you get a 1.8" piston compression height. this means you either need a longer rod or a taller piston that anything the ford 302 V8 uses. if you want to use 302 pistons, then you need a 6.4 in connecting rod. and if you want to use a 302 rod you need a piston with a 2 inch compression height.

""Ya I think we could do without the dramatic sarcasm. :chill:
Its comments like these that make guys want to stop coming to these places to learn.
Be helpful. Maybe a suggestion that would fit his application."" :stick:[/quote]

wow! i had to check the URL to be sure i was not on TDR or cummins forum.
your kind of talk is rare on this board.
and rarer still if you would be kind enough to keep silent.

Stranger ranger is not sarcastic in any way;
please do read the faq, it saves a lot of explainin'.
And fact is the 5.0 piston is a very poor choice to build a 300 six.
in my view any comment from senior members who want to respond shows an interest in newbies and sharing info for an engine not well covered in other places online, should be greeted with appreciation.

wow! i had to check the URL to be sure i was not on TDR or cummins forum. What?
your kind of talk is rare on this board. / Defense of people asking questions?
and rarer still if you would be kind enough to keep silent. / No thanks. I fought for freedom of speech!

Stranger ranger is not sarcastic in any way; :roll: <- this is not sarcastic?
please do read the faq, it saves a lot of explainin'. probably, but for guys like me that are new to forums, directions and suggestions are necessary from "senior members"
And fact is the 5.0 piston is a very poor choice to build a 300 six. Had no idea. thanks for your opinion.
in my view any comment from senior members who want to respond shows an interest in newbies and sharing info for an engine not well covered in other places online, should be greeted with appreciation. / Information is great. making the guy feel like he was a dumb blonde isn't. Respecting knowledge and experience of those that came before, should be appreciated. but not at the expense of the inquisitor. Its like asking an I.T. guy how to build a computer and he rolls his eyes at you because your not a computer nerd. Im not saying give everyone a trophy. but if this is a forum to ask questions and express ideas, isn't it in the best interest to keep this topic alive by welcoming new people with open arms and grace? [/quote]

Rbohm- Thanks for breaking it down! That was awesome and made it simple enough for someone (like my ignorant self) to understand. Im not a huge gear head but I'm getting into it.

StrangeRanger wasnt being sarcastic, but he was being his somewhat abrasive self. it shows from time to time. that said, sometimes us long time members forget that newbies are not up to speed, and we tend to get a bit annoyed answering the same questions over and over again, but that is our cross to bear.

Back