Subaru type Water Cooled Turbo?

powerband

2K+
VIP
I need some help so I'm posting this as a question:

> I need info on WRX type TDO-x turbo suitability for draw-thru carb use, and water cooling using WP heater hose ports?...

I'm am building a "Bolt-On" J-Pipe small turbo draw-thru to large runner 1bbl intake head for a daily-driver 200. I have three good running 200's and two cars to work with.

For the low boost 200 driver project, it retains stock block and as-built OEM low compression CR head chambers with a suitable turbo cam. Composite gaskets will lower CR further to @ 7.5:1. I have a 90 degree carb plenum for draw-thru carb setup.

With modern fuel supply remediation and electronic ignition control/retard -93 pump gas will be target (which my cars use now) . 200's spec/map lean towards fairly low RPM - quick boost - smaller turbo available with internal wG. Considering larger WRX/STI -TDO-x's for their water cooled rugged-simplcity in addressing turbo's negative artifacts .

thanks

Most modern turbos won't work in a draw through setup. Modern turbos use labyrinth seals to prevent oil from passing through the compressor or turbine.

To draw through you need a positive seal - sometimes called a carbon seal turbo. Most popular application that I can think of right now is the Dodge K Car turbo 1.

Back