Turbo Inline mockup - Can it work ?

powerband

2K+
VIP
I've posted in turbo forum a few times about my typical competing projects: returning to the track with a L6 contender and continually upgrading my daily drivers' small block sixes. Competition building whether NA or Forced Induction can't easily (safely) be done inexpensively, but good running small block six daily drivers can be dramatically performance upgraded fairly inexpensively.

Mcinnes and related turbo info made it apparent a true turbo-drag performance setup will need bottom-up build consideration specific turbo demands and related expenses. As a learning/test platform the current project is to build a "bolt-on" turbo system that will fit any (my typical) small block six..

So Far- most easily affordable used turbo's are not for so-called slow turning-high torque tractor gas engines and virtually no modern systems use the draw-thru arrangement since modern Fuel Injection system can make turbo conversion so much easier. I like the simplicity (in theory) of Carb'd draw-thru simplicity for low-boost/percentage HP increase it but requires specific turbo and control considerations.

The early 80's Buick pushrod/carbd 301 V6' turbo has L6 spec' similarities for turbo application, I'd appreciate useful comments (other than hood clearance 8) )

the mockup for consideration, :

thanks

. . . .

have fun

54Ford, Stan, former member, said the generic GM 231/301 turbo was a straight bolt up. And showed pictures.

Looks like a match made in heaven

I know others probably don't want to hear this on a Ford site, but a few years back when a lot of us on the Inliners forum did all of the dyno testing on the 250 and 292 Chevy engine combos, a simple bolt-on turbo setup was done on the 250 engine. It was just a basic blow-thru using a Buick 3.8 turbo and J-pipe with only 5 psi and made 350 HP. You might be surprised in sometimes how the simple things give the best results. I think your mock-up looks good. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

CNC-Dude":8ia5yu9r said:
I know others probably don't want to hear this on a Ford site, but a few years back when a lot of us on the Inliners forum did all of the dyno testing on the 250 and 292 Chevy engine combos, a simple bolt-on turbo setup was done on the 250 engine. It was just a basic blow-thru using a Buick 3.8 turbo and J-pipe with only 5 psi and made 350 HP. You might be surprised in sometimes how the simple things give the best results. I think your mock-up looks good. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

It's fine, but it needs another GM Turbo 3.8 or 5.0, and a Mustang Geezer or Peugeot Bill twin intake log.

Its 250 cubes, it would love two nice Schwitzers or Garretts. You've got hood space, and you owe it to yourself to enjoy what great fuel distirbution and cubes can do for a 250 six.

I always remember what a nice 291 degree cam can do for a big old 250...George did 10.3 second quarter miles in the turbo experiment.

xctasy
It's fine, but it needs another GM Turbo 3.8 or 5.0, and a Mustang Geezer or Peugeot Bill twin intake log. Its 250 cubes, it would love two nice Schwitzers or Garretts
... glad you're interested, the 200 'bolt-on turbo' project is the learning stage of building a performance turbo 250' while I gather some experience, turbo-specific performance parts and the resources [$$$ :unsure: ] to put together the total performance package. My fabbd'fd' three intake port Plenum manifold is 250 performance proven and the small powerful turbo's more suitable for 250 dual use are plentiful.... . ( like IHI WC-TDO [subu'] series.)

... for now, the 200 project moves forward with considerations for fabbn' the turbo to Intake port adapter, Exhaust J-Pipe manifold and turbo flanges, A/F O2 bung placement, Carb selection/turbo mods'/adaptors, brackets to support the whole thing appreciated....

have fun

Back