Nitrous fogger nozzle blowing into carb ?

Crosley

Famous Member
VIP
I've been checking clearance for my nitrous plate. Hood clearance to top of carb hat will be close..

Clearance for nitrous line to the plate will be tight - tight IF it fits between the plate and the valve cover

Finding a Nitrous Top Shot nozzle that sits on top of the carb... difficult to locate.

I thought of using a fogger nozzle bolted into my carb hat ?

I don't think putting the nitrous above the carb is a good idea. It would be very difficult to regulate how much of the nitrous was sucked through the venturis and how much was lost to atmosphere. Most if not all of the excess fuel would go through the carb so you might end up running way too rich and if you tried to tune it out run the risk of running way too lean, possibly dangerously so, when the nitrous actually worked as intended.

I dont see how any fuel or nitrous would be lost to the atmosphere with the fogger nozzle mounted into the carb hat on the carb. pointed at the venturi of the Holley 2 barrel carb ... the fresh air tube feeds in from the head light , to the carb hat.

There are dry nitrous systems that have nozzle that installs into the air tube leading into the throttle body on some EFI engines

Im far from a nitrous expert but I believe this would work, HOWEVER there are a few things to think about...

Can you get it Directly down the throat of the carb? Fuel distribution is a BIG problem on these engines already, without adding nitrous to the issue. spraying at an angle might let half the engine get more and... yeah.

and the cut off... since youll be above the throttle blades if you chop the throttle off then after a second back on and the nitrous had been spraying.. you might have some pieces to clean up. Itll pool on the blades, granted youll have a build up eithe way if your nitrous keeps going after you chop the throttle but in one case its draining in comparatively slowly , the other its sitting on top and gonna give you a very sudden 'wave' of nitrous. AS you might imagine, things can go pop and crack and boom when that happens. Ill take a deceleration with a shot of nitrous going instead of a sudden rush of nitrous on my next acceleration any day.

country fried 6":2bvjx7ts said:

I've looked at them online. Expensive and hard to find. Plus I am running a 2 barrel, so I'd need to plugg off two ports. that is where I got the idea for a foggger nozzle.

Then I read about the dry systems that are plugged into a intake tubes on EFI stuff. This all involves a low HP shot. 50 - 75 HP shot at most for my application.

After the races this weekend... I am gonna pull the carb off my Falcon , start on fitment tests to see what will & will not fit.

I have a 2 barrel NOS plate. The problem is: one line fitting is blocked some what by the valve cover. One person tells me there is a 90* fitting that will work with nitrous jet and should fix the fitment problem with the valve cover.. although I have not found the fitting yet.

thanks for the input thoughts

I fitted my NOS nitrous plate onto my Falcon 200 cid 6.. No way a nitrous line will fit. Valve cover fouls with the end of the straight fitting.

Checking around I found a 90 degree fitting that may fill my need. $16.45 fitting at Summit Racin

photo shows how close fitting is to valve cover. That is a pencil stuck in there for a size indicator

smlnosfittin_zps82c0ab4e.jpg

I believe you can find a 90* elbow with threads that could be made to face west and north (for a visual point of reference). This would allow routing to avoid valve cover interference.

How about something like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fbm5147/overview/

978368065_260.jpg

I'm sure you could find one cheaper, but I did a quick search for aluminum 1/8 npt elbow or something and this was one that popped up. I believe the picture of the plate that was posted uses 1/8 npt for what I am assuming is the jet holder? So unscrew the jet holder, and thread the elbow in its place and the the jet holder into the elbow if that makes sense?

hasa68mustang":3t16fuxs said:
Crosley":3t16fuxs said:
country fried 6":3t16fuxs said:
I have a 2 barrel NOS plate. The problem is: one line fitting is blocked some what by the valve cover. One person tells me there is a 90* fitting that will work with nitrous jet and should fix the fitment problem with the valve cover.. although I have not found the fitting yet.

thanks for the input thoughts

https://www.holley.com/17652NOS.asp

medium17652-SNOS.jpg

This?

Yuuup, same looking fitting I found at Summit Racin I mentioned a couple posts back.. Looks like it was machined for the jet to fit.

I may get nitrous on the ol 200 -inline 6 yet. Make one spectacular run on the drag strip

:mrgreen:

Ordered the fitting from Jegs.. same price as Summit, with free shipping.

Once that fitting is here... all need is tank , mounts for tank, lines, solenoids, switches. LOL

I found a tank local. May see if can buy a complete kit minus a tank. then hook up my plate with 50 HP jets and see what happens

General rule via the excess fuel factor requiremts of nitrous is that you get a 47% power boost with nitrous oxide if you stick with the fuel system, and then just add gasoline enrichment.

From the details you have, before nitrous, you have about 205 flywheel hp.

Based on 15.1 sec 1/4 mile and 87.7 mph from http://www.wallaceracing.com/hpcalculatorquarter.php

Your HP computed from your vehicle ET is 155.00 rear wheel HP and 172.22 flywheel HP. (They use a 11.1% flywheel to rear wheel hp loss, which isn't realistic)
Your HP computed from your vehicle MPH is 145.85 rear wheel HP and 162.05 flywheel HP.

The auto power loss is about 39%, so you need 215 hp to get the ET you have run before

After nitrous, you should have 300 flywheel hp, or with your transbraked C4, you could have as much a 250 rear wheel hp, and get low 13's and 102 mph or so if traction isn't limited.

autoX65":2plzteu4 said:
I'm loving it. nitrous oxide falcon six.....sweet! any more progress or updates?

I sold the NOS plate & other few parts I had gathered. No extra cash to finish the project, plus I did not want to wound my engine if I goof'd up the setup on the nitrous.

Back