95 F150 Turbo 300

bubba22349":an4uwrl5 said:
:unsure: or you could pack it full of wheel bearing grease then use a close fitting rod and hammer and hydolically push it out! :nod:

yeah someone, maybe you, posted that suggestion right after i posted about my struggles... i'll remember that for next time.

I was just mocking up my turbo last night, my wastegate is like 1" diameter... maybe even smaller, like 22 mm. I think that is going to be a problem. Someone, JonL maybe, posted they were having problems with the stock wastegate on the HX35 and had to bore it out, does yours have a integral wastegate, how big is it? I take it you're not using it?

I am still using the internal wastegate, and it does have boost creep issues but nothing too crazy. It opens at 8 psi and it creeps up from there. I've never seen it go above 12.

Deere114: Maybe I need to summarize my whole wastegate setup, as I may not have been as clear as I should have. Im using the stock wastegate that is integrated into the exhaust housing of the HX35. However, I have a wastegate actuator off of some import, not sure where it came from but its got around a 8lb spring in it. The stock actuator was setup to something like 27lbs and you couldn't disassemble it to change the spring. So I removed the stock actuator, and made this other one work by adding length to the actuator arm (welding in some rod) and fabbing up a mount so that it was close to the stock location.

So in short, stock HX35 internal wastegate with random 8lb actuator bolted to it. I'll try and snap a pic of it to show more clearly. And I'll definitely post more videos as it progresses.

Got the truck all put together, and man what a difference. The clutch was so easy to depress, I was worried something was wrong. Before, it was quite the leg workout (nothing like a cable clutch but still). Now its as easy as a regular car clutch. Just hope that doesnt mean it wont grab as hard.

While I'm at it, whats everyones opinion on breaking in a clutch with a resurfaced flywheel? I've heard it all, but mostly I just take it easy for the first 500 miles or so and then drive normally after that.

But back to it, gonna drive it as is for a while, keep it out of boost, and then tear megasquirt out and get it setup to control timing. Overall, pretty happy I pulled it all even though the clutch was visually fine.

When I did my clutch I was in a rush, needed the truck the next morning so I couldn't have the flywheel resurfaced. I just slapped in the 11" clutch. Drove it 50 miles to where I was headed as easy as I could then loaded the bed down and wasn't shy on the power up some hills on the way back. That was 2 years ago, towed heavy plenty times since then, never had a clutch issue

Hi there, just wanted to share a picture because my turbo setup is similar to yours, except my truck is a 96 and I'm using a Tweecer instead of a MS.

Here the manifold solution I came up with, I welded two U pipes to a collector and a T4 flange and connected to the EFI manifolds. I had to pull my engine due to bearing failure (not turbo related, I screwed up the cam break-in), so I wanted to take a picture while everything's out of the truck and post it up as another way to get the job done. The turbo barely fits between the manifolds, and I had to relocate the O2 sensor for the rear cylinders. It's a turbo from a Suburban, and I cut open the vacuum-based wastegate actuator and fitted some springs from Ace Hardware. :beer:

P1010407_zpsdwwjdmgs.jpg

I've actually got megasquirt controlling timing now. When I first assembled ms2, I left out a crucial mica insulator on the driver for ignition and fried some part of it. Finally got around to replacing it and now its successfully controlling timing. So now, I get the fun of tuning timing. So far, it idles a ton better, and has a bit more power overall which is to be expected. I'm still going quite conservative on the timing considering e85. I should be able to ramp up the timing quite a bit.

On the other hand, winter is coming and e85 is a pain to start when cold. So most likely, the truck wont see many miles until spring.

That's cool your controlling timing now. Still running no iac? Wonder if that plays a role in how it starts cold on e85. Never tuned with that stuff before

Still no IAC but I always unplug a big intake port to give it more air....its actually the vacuum line going to the wastegate. Once its warmed for a few minutes I hook it back up. So sort of a ghetto IAC but it works. It's not the hardest thing to start, I'm sure I could help it greatly with more tuning but currently it just takes about 2 tries and its started. I guess the first try gets some fuel in the cylinder, the second usually starts. Keep in mind it hasnt gotten into the 30's yet, and thats where I hear starting on e85 gets much more difficult.

I was thinking about using the ac idle up switch on my mega squirt pnp wired to a toggle switch for a high idle to warm it up quicker in cold weather. Still won't do anything to actually help it start though. Did you do any tuning on pump gas & stock injectors at all? I'm really anxious for this thing to arrive in the mail so I can dig in and been looking for anybody that might have a start up tune for me to initially get it running on.

I dont have an old tune sadly, I've been running the same tune from day 1 and making changes along the way. However, I will say that I was able to start the truck on the base tune that comes loaded by default. It ran like crap but once you've got it running, you can start making changes (VE Analyze does all the work for you if you buy the registered version of Tunerstudio). Just start with the base tune, punch in your parameters (engine size, injector size, etc.) and you'll be fine.

Okay that's good to hear. It just shipped today, I'm anxious to start playing with it, may drive my open header, slick wearing, lack of interior and heat mustang to work on Saturday if the weathers ok so I can dig into the truck Friday night. Want to give myself enough time so it's ready for work on Monday. Should be Interesting

Hiding until further notice, projects that fit inside my garage will dominate the winter. (73 Super Beetle resto and 77 Datsun LS1 swap)

Back