Turbo a carbed 300 l6

80ford100

Okay so I changed my mind and deleted my old post about supercharging my 6. Instead I want to turbo it using either the stock log or an HD one using a HX35 Cummins turbo, intercooler, a blow through carb (Autolite 4100), and 3 inch straight pipe exhaust. I also plan to install ARP head studs. I don't plan on running anymore than 8 psi at extreme if I'm ever feeling edgy. I get the major idea but have some questions on the smaller stuff so I'm just going to list them off and hope ya'll could answer them based on what you have done and works well.

1. Where do you drill and tap for the oil feed and return line.
2. what size line do i need for this turbo?
3. How should I have the log manifold modified for the turbo (what angle should the mounting point be at)?
4. How do you setup an Autolite 4100 carb for a blow thru system?
5. With an intercooler will the stock cast pistons be okay running up to 8 psi of boost (If not will hypo's)?

Any help is appreciated :beer:
Thanks, John

Well since no one has answered your questions yet, let me chime in. 8)

The oil supply line for the turbocharger can be tee'd into the bung where the oil pressure sending unit is for the gauge/idiot light. I used the proper tee/adapters and used steel brake line for the job. The oil return unfortunately is not as easy and requires a hole in the oil pan to be made one way or the other and the proper fittings to be installed. The return line is much larger than the supply side and can only function by gravity so it must always maintain downward pitch and have no kinks in the line etc. I believe I used 1/4" line for the supply and 5/8 for the return because I had it laying around. If I were buying new I would go larger on the return. Can't be too large there.

As far as mounting the turbo, i am assuming it is a custom fit and it is really a matter of deciding where the turbo fits best and going from there with the appropriate j pipe and flanges. The center sections of most turbos are clockable, and the drain side of the center section must always be on the bottom.

As far as the cast pistons are concerned, the standard answer is buy forged if you want to turbo/supercharge the thing. With that being said, cast pistons will take plenty more than 8 psi before bursting into bits AS LONG as your tune is good. If you lean it out or detonate it at higher boost levels, cast pistons are likely to break and hypereutectics can shatter even easier under those circumstances. So long and short if you want to run 8 psi, cast pistons would most likely be fine IF you can tune it well. If not, forged pistons may be a wise investment. And for the record, once you experience driving a boosted engine, you will want more than 8 psi. The stuff is addictive. :beer:

As far as the carb, I have never modified a 4100 but I just wrote this response to a member here about blowing through an unfamiliar holley carb and the information applies to your carb as well. Here is the post:

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=72501

Back