300 turbo-msd question

rellinn

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of putting my 300 turbo back to life after 15 years of sleep. The truck is a Bronco "86 that I swapped out the 5.0 EFI and put in the old 300....now with AOD. Turbo is most likely from Saab 9000-Garrett.
Engine is most likely from 1975 and have distributor with vacuum canister.
Ignition is MSD6
BTM 8762 and tach adapter 8920
Fuel is computer controlled MAF sensor and 750cfm throttlebody with 4 injectors.
Coil MSD blaster
o2 sensor
exhaust temp sensor
intercooler

new spark plugs NGK
new wires MSD-8.5mm, cap and lock

My concern is the setup of the vacuum. Do I hook the BTM 8762 directly to manifold vacuum and no vacuum to the distributor canister, or do I have both connected at same time?
I also have problem with boost. When driving uphill and boost start, the truck chokes and die. This might be related to timing, but not sure.
thanks,
Rellinn

i'm not positive, you could check the MSD website, they have very good instructions with their products.

but i'm pretty sure you lock out the distributor completely. either remove the springs and weights and wire it together, or tack weld it.

hook up the BTM to your manifold pressure/ vacuum signal and set the timing to whatever is recommended by MSD spec. It might be something wierd (fixed at 10 deg BTDC) so be sure to check MSD instructions.

also, keep us updated on progress, pictures are always a plus!

looks like a very unique setup, i'm going to be running a similar sized turbo so i'm excited to hear how yours performs.

motzingg, thank you for your replay. Well this motor has a long history. I have own it since 1994. At that time it was in my 1981 Bronco and was driven until year 2000. Then it was parked. Few years back I got my hands on another one from 1986 with the 5.0 EFI motor. It ran good but I always missed the 300 torque. So now I have swapped the 300 six into the 86 Bronco along with the axels, air system, fender flares and the 38" tires.
I really missed my old truck, so I had to swap the engines...

Here are some pictures of the Bronco
http://www.supermotors.net/users/Bragi

here is info about the Airsensors system. It worked very well in my old truck. A real pleasure to drive and the V8 guys never believed me when I said what was under the hood :)

http://www.auto-nomics.com/

I did ask MSD about this, but never got a reply.
My MSD BTM was installed in 1994. Therefore it is quite old and I am not sure if those instructions are for this old model. It only have two wires to cut, one red and one white. Newer model indicate different wires.I have not cut them. Instructions say to cut the red one for six cylinders...not in my case.
The distributor has not been altered, and worked with the old setup. I might get me a spare distributor before I try any modifications. However, parts are scarce in my country.

Back