Which turbo?

Coil per cylinder is a nice setup! I am not certain how much boost you have to run before needing individual coils. The EDIS system will produce more than enough spark for the boosted 300. I really like the EDIS system for its simplicity and durability. Coils and trigger wheels are easy to find. If you don't want to run the EDIS module, megasquirt can decode the 36-1 trigger wheel and directly drive the coil.

the TFI distributor has a asymmetric tab so it could, at least in theory, provide all the info you need to EFI... i'm not sure if anyone supports it. You could write your own code for megasquirt.

you don't need to have EDIS to get boost retard, lots of systems can use the TFI or HEI module to do boost retard and keep the distributor.

This is more about using the Holley HP system for sequential fuel injection and going with coil per cylinder not only to maximize spark energy but to get rid of distributor rotor phasing concerns. A cam sync signal is needed for both fuel and spark control in this case.

pmuller9":22xz9fpa said:
This is more about using the Holley HP system for sequential fuel injection and going with coil per cylinder not only to maximize spark energy but to get rid of distributor rotor phasing concerns. A cam sync signal is needed for both fuel and spark control in this case.
Exactly. I also just want to be different.

I've been really wanting to buy the turbo but lately I've been pulling super late hours at work and haven't been able to get to the speed shop before it closes. The GT3076R is currently on sale locally for $1,200 which is super cheap especially here in Canada.

Edit: I gave my girlfriend a note identifying specifically which turbo I want. She'll probably go get it tomorrow. Gotta love a woman who understands the need for go fast parts.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...ion/hp_efi/ecu_and_harness_kits/parts/550-605

this guy, eh?

I've never seen that, not that i've ever been in the market for a EFI system that costs twice as much as my truck... but yeah very cool stuff. Considering all you get, its really not all that bad... although you'll probably be in for a couple hundred more dollars by the time you buy injectors, fuel pump, etc.

pretty cool stuff, excited to see where this goes.

carbureted":3a0lac98 said:
Close. This is what I'll buy.

Was going to buy it this week and then I remembered my F150's insurance was expired. There went a grand for three whole months. Good ol' Canada. BC = Bring Cash.

On another note, I ordered the turbo today.

Sorry bout the insurance, but great price on the turbo.
Which turbine housing A/R did you get?

did you get a chance to check on a cam?

pmuller9":1pwv6shi said:
Which turbine housing A/R did you get?

did you get a chance to check on a cam?
I walked into the turbo shop and asked for the GT3076R with a T3 4-bolt .63 A/R housing and the owner seriously suggested I go for the .82 A/R. He was quite insistent on it. I figured what the heck and got the .82 A/R housing. If it doesn't work out, I can always swap it out for another housing and not lose too much money on it. Not a big deal in my book. It should be here in 3-4 days.

No I have not yet contacted Crower. I've been really busy lately with other things, mainly work and family stuff. I will update you when I get in touch with them.

Still waiting on my pistons to show up at the speed shop... I need to phone and ask what happened to them.

I see you're in the Spokane area. Maybe one day I'll have to stop by your place when the truck is complete. I'd love to shake your hand.

carbureted":tapxsqsc said:
I walked into the turbo shop and asked for the GT3076R with a T3 4-bolt .63 A/R housing and the owner seriously suggested I go for the .82 A/R. He was quite insistent on it. I figured what the heck and got the .82 A/R housing. If it doesn't work out, I can always swap it out for another housing and not lose too much money on it. Not a big deal in my book. It should be here in 3-4 days.

No I have not yet contacted Crower. I've been really busy lately with other things, mainly work and family stuff. I will update you when I get in touch with them.

Still waiting on my pistons to show up at the speed shop... I need to phone and ask what happened to them.

I see you're in the Spokane area. Maybe one day I'll have to stop by your place when the truck is complete. I'd love to shake your hand.

Hey just happy to help.
I was going to build a turbo 300 for someones 77 pickup but his budget changed so we went the N/A route instead.
The combination you are doing is real close to what I would have done so I'm excited to see yours coming together.

The .63 A/R will spool the turbo at a lower rpm than the .82 but because it uses a smaller area housing to do so, it creates more back pressure at higher rpms.
The .82 A/R will make more power above 3500 rpm and since the 300 six has torque to spare at low rpm it should be a good combination.

I am in the process of moving from Spokane to Olympia WA because of my wife's job change.
I still have work out of Spokane 320 miles away so I'm trying to figure this all out.

Olympia is a lot closer to me than Spokane. I'm on Langley, BC. Real close to Blaine. Spokane is a nice area. I especially loved the drive there. Beatiful. I picked up a truck cab in Post Falls.

carbureted":2im73het said:
Olympia is a lot closer to me than Spokane. I'm on Langley, BC. Real close to Blaine. Spokane is a nice area. I especially loved the drive there. Beatiful. I picked up a truck cab in Post Falls.

You are about 175 miles away. Seattle and Tacoma traffic can be really bad coming down I5 early morning and late afternoon.
It would be great to meet you and see the truck.

Progress?

pmuller9":3mxzxekz said:
carbureted":3mxzxekz said:

You are about 175 miles away. Seattle and Tacoma traffic can be really bad coming down I5 early morning and late afternoon.
It would be great to meet you and see the truck.

Progress?
Seattle traffic can be terrible. No progress. I've been working about 11 hour days for the last two weeks so I haven't been able to pick up my engine block. Should I just make a build thread on here?

carbureted":13seqtdw said:
Should I just make a build thread on here?

I keep my build thread over on fordification because of the picture thing.

this site has better technical knowledge, but its easier for me to just keep track of one 'build thread' as i don't really have time to be keeping multiples updated.

I am very happy with my latest acquisition.

sbQbjYG.jpg

Talked to Crower about a custom camshaft. Should be ground and sent out within a week. The specs that the guy suggested were pretty well spot on with what you suggested.

So, engine is nearing completion and the weather is warming up. I'm wanting to go get that LS2 stuff sometime soon. I'm looking on Google and it seems to me as though the 60-2 crank trigger wheel is either on the backside of the damper or inside the timing cover? I'm not quite sure... do you know?

Back