Sensors needed for supercharger and efi on homemade intake?

clintonvillian

Famous Member
Trying to plan ahead here, how many bungs do I need to add to my intake for various sensors?

I guess for starters which would you recommend, MAP sensor or MAF sensor? I have been told by various programmers that either sensor will work just fine.

I am assuming I need 3 sensors, MAP/MAF, IAT, and something to read the boost?

I've always heard MAP sensors were easy to work with for boost, however I have not worked with MAF+boost so I can't say they wont work just as well. I figured Megaqsuirt chose MAP for a reason. As for sensor bungs, my MAP sensor is actually located directly on the Megasquirt board, so the only bung to speak of is a vacuum hose connection. Same goes for the boost gauge, the sensor is housed in the gauge itself and connects to the intake via a vacuum hose.

An IAT is the only sensor that really needs a thread in bung as it must read the temperature of the air flowing through the intake. I hate the stock placement of the IAT in my 95'. It heat soaks bad and ends up reading something like 250 degrees (this is NA mind you). I would place it somewhere just after the throttle so it doesnt absorb so much heat from the exhaust/head.

To my knowledge, thats about all the sensors you need on the intake.

Map sensors are easier to work with and all aftermarket EFI systems will work with a MAP sensor.

You also need a line for the supercharger bypass valve for a total of 3 boost/vacuum lines and one larger bung for the air temp sensor.
I've seen where a person will come off the manifold with one line then use a "T" with multiple barb fitting to connect all the lines.
The problem with that setup is, if one of the lines comes off or gets cut it will mess up the boost/vacuum signal for the other lines connected to the "T".

We always do separate 1/8" pipe fittings on the manifold to keep the lines isolated
The 1/8" pipe fitting will let you screw a MAP sensor in directly or you can install a barb fitting for the lines including the line for a remote type MAP sensor.

On the race car we didn't take chances and used braided lines.

I am a little confused,

So I need:

MAP sensor (do you guys have any specific brands?)
IAT (again, brands?)

3 additional ports? (I had just planned to make a 1/4" plate with the holes drilled and tapped and weld it on). Then I can plug what is not needed as the vacuum will eventually come from in front of the supercharger for brakes. etc.

What are you using as an engine computer? Megasquirt, etc, etc.? That will help decide what "brand" sensors to use. Typically when going completely custom like this I'd pull all of these sensors off a specific year and model GM car, that way if it ever stops working you can just go to the parts store and order it easily.

gm1bar.jpg

You'll need 3 hose barb style fittings:
Boost Gauge
Map Sensor
Supercharger Bypass (I assume this is the equivalent of a wastegate, not a supercharger guy yet)

Similar to the plate you see at the bottom

customintake6.jpg

Then you'd need an IAT sensor which is thread in. This place sells one with the bung for a very fair price. http://www.ecmtuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=49

Even better still you can get both the MAP and IAT new for under $100.
http://www.ecmtuning.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_30&products_id=50

There is no shame or reason not to use a single barb off the manifold and T somewhere else. My XR4Ti came from the factory with a vacuum tree mounted to the firewall, and it's been handling 15+psi of boost for almost 30 years without issue. The only thing I would not do is share a tree'd vacuum line between things that are closed (like a sensor) and things that are open (like a PCV line). That ensures sensors and such don't get contaminated by air from somewhere else, and that they are responsive to manifold changes.

the stock manifold has a tee with several capped (available) connections. not sure if they are big enough or not.

either way i'd probably go one big line to the firewall and a tee there, just for cleanliness. If you need to use a vacuum canister for HVAC or Brakes, you can run one big line to that and put your tee there.

Back