need advice on developing the turbo system

sdiesel

2K+
VIP
under 10 pounds of boost can i use the:
factory intake or the C series from Offy.

BORING DETAILS
the rest of the system :
dedicated Propane injection with nozzles in the intake just before the valves
300 six obviously, from ford power, with a steel crank and forged.... bla bla got all that.
i have a hd exhaust manifold with heat riser blocked
turbo is a Mitsu TD 006 intercooled with dodge cummins intercooler i am a cooler junkie. i have an external oil cooler from a 460 ford with a huge exchanger. i may use a heat exchanger too to see if i can make it work

here is where im getting sticky i am unsure if i can use the ford factory intake.
the engine needs only that much air ; going bigger may not be helpful one barrel intake runners are matched to the carb size and matched to engine needs

with the offy i will have a venturi at the carb then big plenum and big runners
under boost with this matter?
i can stuff all the air the engine needs through the little one barrel intake

the rig is an 8000 pound (dry weight flatbed ranch truck) monster
dualed up and
4x4.
5spd
this is a project that has got way out of hand but must be finished

low rpm high torque 5 speed trans

thx

David

10 lbs of boost is kind of an arbitrary thing... the resistance along the tract is going to add up, so its not about one bottleneck completely killing flow, but it will restrict it.

for the same mass air flow rate, the more restrictive intake is going to require more pressure to push it. that means your turbo is working harder, more lag, and more heat is being created (lost work energy). not to mention higher EGR. how much this actually affects things? That is hard to say. It will definitely be more of an issue at higher speed which you may not have to worry about.

I think a better question to ask would be, how are you injecting this propane? what kind of injector and how are you placing/mounting them? Also what is your throttle body plan? It might be easier to buy the adapters or parts to make the throttle body fit on the 4-barrel mounting.

I guess i'd go with whatever is easier to hook up. seems like that is going to be a bigger factor in this application than pure airflow.

goods points

the throttle body will most likely be a gm from a 350 the fish carb wont work for there is no tps capacity

propane will be lsi injected just before the valves and pointed toward the valves for coolin effect of both the charge and the valve.

megasquirt will control

the assumption of smaller runners and intake for low end torque; is that out the window with turbo charging?

with few or no changes to the size of the runner from intercooler to valve may not be advantageous or worth consideration.

i thunk maybe a small throttle body with a large plenum and big runners migh have pressure drrop issues or some such but maybe not

thank you

David

now looking back on the shelf at my efi intake
its got the sensors and injector bungs and is maybe the easiest solution to an intake but its big brutish and so on ugly too. but there is probably $500K of ford engineering in that manifold so i best take it seriously

I have no clue on the size of that turbo or where it will spool, but if it spools quick and at low rpms, go with the Offy C and if it lags much, go with the stocker. After boost, either manifold will be fine. Before boost, you don't want it to be a dog and dissapointing, unless you're building a drag race motor or can match a converter stall to it. Normally, with a fuel injected motor, even turbo, you want a manifold with a decent plenum volume(x% of engine volume), the reverse seems true when carbed with these engines' manifold designs and I'm not exactly sure why yet. I think it may just be a carb thing and keeping velocity up through the carb, but when injected, you want no restriction and plenum volume to be able to fill the runner/cyl demand. Dunno, just thinking aloud...

sdiesel":gsbam3ru said:
now looking back on the shelf at my efi intake
its got the sensors and injector bungs and is maybe the easiest solution to an intake but its big brutish and so on ugly too. but there is probably $500K of ford engineering in that manifold so i best take it seriously
The EFI manifold is very well designed with regards to even air distribution among cylinders and long runners tuned for low end torque. I'm sure they'll be a restriction at higher rpm, but boost can make up for it;)

ok worked along and worked out some other ideas.

we are going with LSI propane on this engine.
using fords bungs. hanah injectors and megasquirt of electromotive ecu.that part is simple, kind of, the hard part other than budgeting will be the mapping and building an ecu that will let this live.im going to post a new thread as to idea i had for intake.
thank you for your help

guhfluh":2cyuapa8 said:
The EFI manifold is very well designed with regards to even air distribution among cylinders and long runners tuned for low end torque. I'm sure they'll be a restriction at higher rpm, but boost can make up for it;)

yeah and as an added bonus that intake is big enough to act as its own heat exchanger! :rolflmao:

Back