Round Two.. turbo things

sthorvictor

so here's some updates after yanking out the mitsu turbo, and junking the other head (dropped a valve)
took the photos with the new head temporarily bolted on to mock up the pipes again. its a little tight in some areas and will have to address future radiant heat issues (down pipe is not indexed in the one photo) . sent the head out to another shop locally to get the spring seats cut for the new springs. the last shop didn't have the right cutters, however did a good job with what i gave them. still looking to clean some things up, installed a bar and plate air to air behind the grill. may be a bit small 2.25" in and out, but should still be better than nothing.
this round managed find someone to help with the tuning files, wired in a wideband and boost gauge, head studs along with a felpro 1024 head gasket. 65lb injectors (found the specs for the coyote injectors to be on the light side, 37-38lb/hr) found some pro comp 1.7 rockers from a 5.0l i might try out. thinking with the stock cam i wont notice too much of a change but with the head/port work any little bit will help.. hoping to have this thing running in the next week or two again :)

thesameguy":1drfa44j said:
You're going to relocate that battery, yeah? The turbo will COOK it.

That or wrap the turbo in a blanket. Also, curious as to why you piped the intake all the way over to the stock airbox location. Seems easier to move the airbox to where the battery is now, eliminate all that piping. Little late now I guess, just my opinion.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the battery. You won't be running as much EGT as I have seen before with batteries closer that lived. Of course, a blanket and wrap is always a good thing for spool and keeping underhand Temps down as well as IAT, though it's not so good for life of the piping. Swapping the battery and intake box/MAF does seem like it may have worked out better though.

So who is doing the tuning and with what? I've been intrigued about flashing the stock computers since I first read about it here.

Pics were for mock up, and for those reasons :) didnt even think about the battery, ill build a sheild for it and wrap the turbine. Have had the truck running again without a tune and a couple 7 lbs runs, makes gobs more power than the last turbo setup spool at 2500rpm witht he wideband the stock ecu and 19# injectors seem to be holding their own. but its the limit of the system im thinkin should have a tune sorted soon for the 65# injectors. as far as the intake, kept everything in their relatively stock locations just in case i want to disassemble everything and revert it back to stock if i cant sell it down the road. Otherwise it has crossed my mind :beer:
as far as the tuning, in hind sight i should have put a ms in if i knew that the machining was going to take this long... i picked up an sct x4 tuner, and am using unleashed tunining who has done most of a friends ford and chev turbo tunes. i just had to send him a picture of my ecu tag soo he could determine the base strategy file and if he could tune it or not. He requested i connect my wideband to the tuner inputs for datalogging. I will let you guys know how it goes.

We got a tune sorted out had to pull the 65# injectors out and installed my 37# coyote injectors (had poor info on the 65# injectors hardly able to get the truck running) engine spools around 2000rpm, at 10lbs were at the peak of stock maf's abilities its almost ready to peg even with it being calibrated. truck definately needs a cam now to get the full potential of the head. I ended up pulling the 302 roller rockers out wasnt happy with the geometry. However they did make a world of difference with the overall output of this engine bottom and top end with head, and very fast reving compaired to the oe's. The only reason i tried the 5.0l rollers is they share the same oe rockers however the roller tips were too close to the valves edge for comfort.

does anyone have a good cam sugestion? I wouldnt mind increasing my valve lift to utilize my headwork (it has a whole pile to give on and off boost) im also plannig on changing out my maf and to find some larger bosch injectors, woul like to hit the 14psi range and hit a dyno..migt be worth the $150 to do a run to see what shes running now before major changes again

Sorry for the kate response, they are ev6/ev1 hybrid china injectors i believe, after ordering them could not get the truck to run without fuel fouling, when we started to cut the fuel back couldnt get the thing to start. now we were doing this through the stock eecv with an sct x4 tuner and flashing the tunes into it. hind sight i should have gone ms, could have also probably used the injectors if i personally sat in front of the computer and messed with them for awhile with a ms set up or the likes.

If your running the seimens injectors there is probably alot more info floating around on them that will allow you to use them, unlike my ebay specials

ran the truck at the track today, minus the bottom end turbo lag off the line truck did alright, 16.338@85.87Mph at 10psi.

thinking its time to get a cam figured out, any suggestions? want to increase the lift to utilize the head more and a larger lsa. anyone have any suggestions? or combos that their running?

Back