Wanted: Ford 200ci Turbo/Supercharger recipe

cook11

Hey guys/gals new to the forum and I am in search of a new project. A few years back I was at a local car show with my sons and I noticed in the back corner a early mustang with a 200ci inline six that had a blow through 1bbl turbo setup on it which has had a lasting impression on me.

Does anyone have a successful proven "recipe" on turbocharging or supercharging a 1bbl/2bbl blow through setup on the 3.3L's? Are there solid floats available for 1bbl's? Any other mods required? Should I forget about the 1bbl and just go with a 2bbl? Would a blow through carb box enclosure be a solution to carb mods? How much boost will a stock engine handle reliably before it gives up? Will a stock engine turbocharged/supercharged 200ci fox body be able to run 13's? If so how much boost is needed to get to that goal?

I have in my parts collection a Mitsu turbo off of a 2.5L Dodge and a Eaton M90 supercharger from a Supercoupe. Will any of these help get a fox body into the 13's? I realize that the Mitsu is small but again I am not looking at building a 9 second drag car. Thanks!

cook11":2i3nlec9 said:
Hey guys/gals new to the forum and I am in search of a new project. A few years back I was at a local car show with my sons and I noticed in the back corner a early mustang with a 200ci inline six that had a blow through 1bbl turbo setup on it which has had a lasting impression on me.

Does anyone have a successful proven "recipe" on turbocharging or supercharging a 1bbl/2bbl blow through setup on the 3.3L's? Are there solid floats available for 1bbl's? Any other mods required? Should I forget about the 1bbl and just go with a 2bbl? Would a blow through carb box enclosure be a solution to carb mods? How much boost will a stock engine handle reliably before it gives up? Will a stock engine turbocharged/supercharged 200ci fox body be able to run 13's? If so how much boost is needed to get to that goal?

I have in my parts collection a Mitsu turbo off of a 2.5L Dodge and a Eaton M90 supercharger from a Supercoupe. Will any of these help get a fox body into the 13's? I realize that the Mitsu is small but again I am not looking at building a 9 second drag car. Thanks!

Will, (Does10s) on the forum here would be the guy to talk to. He and his wife run a very successful '63 Falcon with a turbocharged 250 based engine. I don't know about a "recipe" because of the variables in a specific build, but Will can most likely get you on the right track.

---Craig

Ill do my best to list out mine...been running it for years and years. Has made 300whp/320wtq and has quite a bit more in it.

STOCK bottom end with custom cam (cant remember the grind but do a little looking and you can find alot of great info)
Big log head milled for 2 barrel direct mount. Felpro head gasket with ARP head studs
Holley 2300 2 barrel 500cfm built by QuickFuel carbs. You could look at Hangar18 online and make the necessary mods yourself and save time and money
stock log exhaust manifold with 2.5" Jpipe to turbo
Buick GN turbo. Started with a stock turbo and no whave a TE44 upgrade turbo
Run exhaust from turbo out to whatever you want. 3" downpipe is a plus, after that its up to you.
CHEAPO ebay front mount intercooler. Size it to fit wherever you want to put it
2.5" mandrel bent intercooler piping.
You dont have to run an intercooler but its a plus for sure trust me.
higher flowing EFI style electric fuel pump with adjustable boost referenced fuel pressure regulator and a return setup to the tank. This is CRUCIAL!!! Get the fuel right or break stuff, simple as that. I killed an unknown number of headgaskets before I got it right.
Locked distributor with MSD 6BTM to control timing under boost.

Thats pretty much the gist of it. Its alot to buy when first starting out but its not that hard to do and the power you will make over stock is tremendous!!! These little motors are tough as nails too and will take some abuse!!!

Matt

Excellent! Thanks guys....Another option I was thinking about which would require some fabrication work would be to swap in a 240/300 six and do a "similar" setup that was done on the budget 10 second turbo 300ci Maverick I saw in a Hotrod magazine. Not sure if a 240/300ci swap has been performed in a fox body....

Matt,

Thanks for the information on your setup! Have you had a chance to run your car down the 1/4 mile? If so what are you getting for times?

There have been a few 300's swapped into a Fox chassis check out the 240 / 300 six forum for swap posts. I don't know of any boosted ones specifically in a Fox chassis though. Good luck :nod:

cook11":8lp5z78h said:
Matt,

Thanks for the information on your setup! Have you had a chance to run your car down the 1/4 mile? If so what are you getting for times?

I believe my times are listed on here somewhere, with the pegleg rear end, some tiny 215 rear tires I was in the 14's at about 14psi. I blew a headgasket on my fastest run too :rolflmao:

Since then Ive gone to head studs, better fuel system, bigger turbo, more boost and an 8.8 rear end with 3.55s. I havnt been back to the track but once I get the carb dialed in I want to redeem myself. The local 1/8 was very unkind to me as well as I would launch, bog, die, fire it back up and go again and still manage mid 9 second passes LOL. I often debate on tossing some drag radials on her and trying to beat my old HCI 302 fox times at the same track (8.1x's).

Matt

Cam is an OOOLD custom setup from Classic Inlines tho I dont remember which, there is alot of info out there now on what cam to best suit a turbo setup so do a little digging and DONT go off what Im running. I got mine back when there was 2 maybe 3 other contributing members with turbo setups.

I dont know what compression is to tell the truth. I didnt do any work on either the head or the block so it COULD be stock, but I got both used at different times from different people and theres no telling what may have been done to either before. Sorry I cant be much help here!

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the information on your Mustang. Would you know or anyone else know of anyone on these forums that would have some information and actual performance #'s if you were to run a M90 Supercoupe blower on a stock 200cid motor? I would be leaning towards a blow through setup with either carb mods or perhaps a pressurized carb box along with a intercooler or water injection to cool the pressurized air before it enters the carb. Not sure if the M90 is the most ideal supercharger for this motor but....it might be a good starting point.

Regards,
Jon

I believe there are a couple who have done it and I wanted to before I decided to go the better (turbo) route. Better as in more efficient, easier to put together and maintain plus easier to find the parts and make alot more power. That said Ide still toy with the idea if I wanted to make upper 100 lower 200hp and have that awesome blower whine under the hood!!! Do some searching, there may be some threads still around with people using the M90 or similar.

Matt

Matt,

What do you think "approximately" you are getting for horsepower with your current turbo setup using the stock engine? I am interested to know how much boost/power these motors can make before forged internals are required... Do you have any current pictures of the engine in its current state?

Thanks,
Jon

There are plenty of M90 articles on this site.. the search function works good too.. :roll:
New project Eaton M90 and EFI on my early Bronco 200

Eaton m90 pulley question
Broncitis":3b6c9alq said:
I think you could get by with a two groove pulley easily and have one made easily, the hard part is if you come right off the crank you will need a 8.75 crank pulley and a 3.8 pulley on the blower to get about 6-7 psi and a 3.4 pulley to pull about 9-10 psi, which will make all other components spin way faster than stock, water pump, power steering, alternator, etc, if you start getting into the really small pulleys on the blower is where the v belts won't flex as well around the pully as a serpentine, on the m90 if I remember correctly once you get down around a 2.9 pulley you have to machine the snout down on the m90 to get the pulley on. All figures based on m90. If you accomplish this, you will not regret having done it, the v8's can't touch you through the first two gears, but they catch me at the end.
xctasy":3b6c9alq said:
When you use an 8.75" balancer, you then have to overdrive the water pump and alternator, and then go to a 3.4" pulley. So its all a balancing act. Then you have to package it without anything colliding. Since you can't go below 3.4" and have the belts live, then you can't combine, say, a 2.9" pulley with a 6" crank balancer either. 2.6:1 is the higest ratio for 10 psi at 5000 rpm with an M90.[/url]
V Groove pulley and M90
SoCar72":3b6c9alq said:
I've seen photos of v-groove driven SC's. An M90 draws about 45hp at 14000rpm (not engine rpm) and 7lbs of boost. However, at street rpm's at this boost range, it may not draw much more than about 25hp. A v-drive may hold it. If you have the option, try to route both belts over the SC.

For the same boost level, an M62 should only draw about 18hp. Both cases are assuming a 200 L6. If you get to this before I do, please post your findings.
79 Fairmont 200 4sp. M90 Swap
Hodgie1013":3b6c9alq said:
I'm making steady progress on my M90 swap. It consists of:
Eaton M90 - Pulled from a 96ish Bonneville ($60)
Motorcraft 2100 - 1.21 Vents ($30)
MSD 6 BTM, Blaster 2, 9mm wires
Hooker SuperComp Header & 2.5" Mandrel bent tubing all the way back.

-I removed the 2 bolt flange from the Header ($175) and welded on a 3 bolt flange with a 2.5" ID for the outlet. I made flanges using a 2.5" collector gasket for measurements and created a program on the mill. The rest of the exhaust will consist of: an 8" flex section ($25), high flow cat($20), a new MAC muffler I bought from a buddy ($25), and a conservative tip to finish it off ($15). Including the rest of the tubing I've used I've spent maybe $250.
-The M90 is in the shop. Pulled it for $60 and paid $80 for a kit that is supposed to service any and all M90s. (Let me know if anybody needs numbers for any seals or bearings.) I still need to do some math and see where I should be for pulley size so that I can make one.
-The MSD ($300) is all installed without the boost reference line attatched. The wires I bought were new for a Mustang and I paid $30, but had to shorten them all (almost worth paying extra for custom wires). Two heat ranges cooler on Champions with a wider gap.
-Pretty basic carb setup with #72 Mains($3), #7 - 4 window power valve($5), and a Holley Accelerator pump($19). I am also in the process of assembling a fuel system with an electric pump, and a regulator.
-I've ordered a wideband reader kit($75) and sensor($52). Gauges and misc... maybe $150 so far.

Just the basics for now. I'll further detail my swap as I go, and post pics of everything.
BTW If anybody has done this, I'd be interested in hearing what you've got going under the hood. Also, how much boost are you seeing? What sized pully are you using? Most of the rest of my work is fabrication, and it's nice to have some pointers. PM me if you think you might have some parts I could use for sale. Thanks Guys!

Matthew Haugland
Or how about this one?
M 90 supercharged 250
Big sexy 250.. you should go look through this one, balldrick did an awesome job and took lots of pictures, his photobucket gallery has video as well.
enginemoc2.jpg

I was looking into this myself after a couple M90's showed up on my local craigslist, one for $125 and a pair of them for $100..

cook11":229kjhbt said:
Matt,

What do you think "approximately" you are getting for horsepower with your current turbo setup using the stock engine? I am interested to know how much boost/power these motors can make before forged internals are required... Do you have any current pictures of the engine in its current state?

Thanks,
Jon

Stock bottom end put up with 20psi regularly from a TE44 turbo. Fuel system is SUPER important in all boost applications and this setup proved it. She was 9:1 pig rich and put 240rwhp/310rwtq at 20psi and had more in it but we ran outta pulls before we could lean it out anymore. Im now putting some forged slugs in it but ONLY because we had to bore the cylinders to clean em up and I figured if Im buying pistons I might as well go with the forged units just because. I wouldnt hesitate to toss another bone stock bottom end on the car and shoot for mid to low 300whp, upper 300tq.

Matt

Yep... What Matt said. Don't lean it out under boost. Been there and have a handful of busted piston rjngys to show for it haha.

I have boosted a 200 also and have made the necessary changes on a one bbl holley to make it function and can give you some pointers if you get that far and still have interest. Just PM me. :beer:

Back