integrated Turbo charger intake/ heat exchanger ideas

sdiesel

2K+
VIP
on previous threads i have been asking ideas about intakes.

here is my latest idea. or development
please freely slap me if im crazy
here goes.

With LSI propane fuel at the factory bungs spraying directly on the valves
use the lower half of the factory efi intake.
build a flat plate intake flange to mate, then an aluminum plenum box on top of that

with two inlet charge holes over the 2.5 and 4.5 (between 2-3 and 4-5 cylinder areas).
split the intake charge from the air to air intercooler which is a dodge unit in the front of the rig

base the size of the plenum on the volume of air produced

now here is the kinky part
Why can we not use a square finned heat exchanger tube inside this plenum and plumb the A/C right through the plenum front to back

incoming air is cooled once again using freon and Fords a/c compressor.
the finned tube receives the cooled freon
the compressor starts when intake charge gets over a set temperature,

the compressor is run independently from an electric motor, the evap unit has its own cooling fan
the unit charges and cooling fan starts if the intake charge gets over say 115 degrees F.

intake charge is cooled going through the plenum and again at the liquid propane just before the valves.

a hood scoop directing fresh air down over the whole mess could deflect much of the turbo heat that might otherwise rise.
the turbo and manifold will have heat wrap anyway to help control temps.
i hope i explained this clearly.
the fins on the commercially available heat exchanger tube are square the center tube is round the fins would be the same od size as the plenum is ID so it would fill the entire chamber with the center tube being about directly in the middle of the plenum.

:idea: have thought about having an evaporator with charge going past it in the past, would have to T into the existing a/c system lines before the orifice tube and on the suction side of the pump before the accumulator, and throw in another orifice tube before the new evaporator, wouldn't be too hard if a guy was creative...only kicker is the compressor would need to run, which would probably negate the benefit of a cool dense charge due to a large parasitic loss. just my thoughts.

yes
and likely too small for the job....but
there is something i found
laminova
its the best solution and our friends down under are doing outrageous things with laminova

i dont have the link but its on the big six forum where they built a manifold using laminova did dyno tests and all.
pretty cool.

Back