TD04HL-15T on a 144 or 200?

Found one locally off of a saab (Viggen I believe), cheap with everything including IC.

I have a 61 Falcon which currently has a 144, but I have a 200 which will eventually go in it.
I would like to play with EFI maps, so I would like to add EFI at some point.
My plan was to begin my setup on the 144, get it working , then transfer and adapt to 200. Main reason being that if I screw something up, it's on my throw away motor, and I'll learn hopefully learn my lesson before messing up the 200. I may even try to set up the turbo before efi, or vice versa, not sure.
So, the question is if this turbo will work. It came from a smaller engine than the 200, but I believe those Saabs were putting out 225hp, which would be fine with me (on 200, I don't think the 144 will do that). My hope was that the turbo would spool up quickly so I would have better power all over.
I'm not trying to build a drag car, I just want to tinker and make my Falcon quicker than it should be.
So would this be a good turbo? Or maybe at least a good turbo for the 144 to learn with?

As for the efi, my mind isn't set up yet, but I was thinking GM TBI off of a 4.3, probably controlled by Megasquirt. I can buy my a distributor to work with it, but I would probably just exclude that on the 144, because it's a different distributor than the 200 and I don't want to buy two.

that turbo should be a good one for the street on either the 144 or the 200. the 144 might be a little small and as such wont respond to the turbo you selected as well as the 200 will. but the 144 will be a good development platform none the less.

the gm tbi is good to use. i would use the megasquirt controller, and i would include the provision for ignition control as well, though with the 144 i would not use it. for the 200 you can use either a TFI ignition, using a modified 2.3l distributor, change the driven gear to the one from the six and swap out the trigger wheel for one from a 3.8 V6. i would also remote mount the TFI module using a big heat sink from a computer processor.

the other ignition option is to use the ford edis ignition. there is a thread in the electronics forum on how to build that system. this is the better one to use as the ignition will be a bit more reliable, and will have tighter control over the spark, as well as being a waste spark system. here is a link to the thread;

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67718

rbohm":1tpsawbb said:
that turbo should be a good one for the street on either the 144 or the 200. the 144 might be a little small and as such wont respond to the turbo you selected as well as the 200 will. but the 144 will be a good development platform none the less.

the gm tbi is good to use. i would use the megasquirt controller, and i would include the provision for ignition control as well, though with the 144 i would not use it. for the 200 you can use either a TFI ignition, using a modified 2.3l distributor, change the driven gear to the one from the six and swap out the trigger wheel for one from a 3.8 V6. i would also remote mount the TFI module using a big heat sink from a computer processor.

the other ignition option is to use the ford edis ignition. there is a thread in the electronics forum on how to build that system. this is the better one to use as the ignition will be a bit more reliable, and will have tighter control over the spark, as well as being a waste spark system. here is a link to the thread;

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67718

Thanks for the info. Would a DIS be necessary? I was hoping TBI style distributor and MS would offer enough control. Affordable Fuel Injection will convert distributors if you send them in for $200. I was thinking of going through them for that and an adapter to mount the throttle body.

having your distributor converted is certainly an option. how it would interface with systems other than theirs though is the question that would need to be answered. the reason i suggested a dis system is because it has much better control over the spark timing, among other things, and it uses a wasted spark system. that means lower emissions as well as improved economy and performance.

rbohm":3s14do3h said:
having your distributor converted is certainly an option. how it would interface with systems other than theirs though is the question that would need to be answered. the reason i suggested a dis system is because it has much better control over the spark timing, among other things, and it uses a wasted spark system. that means lower emissions as well as improved economy and performance.

Thanks again. DIS might be a later project. Any thoughts on which MS unit? I don't want to do the soldering/building part, but I've been looking at complete units at diyautotune, and figure I need at least MSII for ignition control.

I think I may go ahead and grab this turbo from the guy for now and put it into the parts pile...

the MSll should do everything you need, but take a long look at the MSlll as well.

MS2 with the v3 board will do what you want. the TBI route is a great way to go for a first time setup, you can usually get the engine running on the first try. it is very forgiving with tuning.

ignition adds another level of complexity, i'd get fuel working first with stock distributor, then run it through the MS. EDIS adds a ton of complexity to the install, additional sensors, etc. you should be able to get it running with the duraspark distributor and box, then swap over to an HEI module triggered by the MS once you have fueling sorted out. you can lock out the timing advance on the duraspark and use that as-is.

This distributor:
http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=302670&p=rock

The TBI unit from the chevy

The Ms3

an O2 sensor

and a fuel pump

hmm that should be about it, the TBI module has TPS built in, along with IAT, it even has an integral fuel pressure regulator. The MS3 comes with the MAP sensor onboard. There is probably a TBI on a 292 stovebolt code floating around out there that would get you started and running.

motzingg":1nm5kdze said:
MS2 with the v3 board will do what you want. the TBI route is a great way to go for a first time setup, you can usually get the engine running on the first try. it is very forgiving with tuning.

ignition adds another level of complexity, i'd get fuel working first with stock distributor, then run it through the MS. EDIS adds a ton of complexity to the install, additional sensors, etc. you should be able to get it running with the duraspark distributor and box, then swap over to an HEI module triggered by the MS once you have fueling sorted out. you can lock out the timing advance on the duraspark and use that as-is.

This distributor:
http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=302670&p=rock

The TBI unit from the chevy

The Ms3

an O2 sensor

and a fuel pump

hmm that should be about it, the TBI module has TPS built in, along with IAT, it even has an integral fuel pressure regulator. The MS3 comes with the MAP sensor onboard. There is probably a TBI on a 292 stovebolt code floating around out there that would get you started and running.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry it's been awhile since I've been on here. (I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 year old...) Just getting back to work on it now.
I checked out the link you sent for the distributor. I need a duraspark unit for that, correct? Any particular model? I also looked at the DUI models, I think they have one that it self contained but can be upgraded later for efi. Is that any better?

Back