Ihi 51T on a 1966 200 help

Jimwell150

I recieved a ihi 51t turbo off a 87-88 thunderbird for free. Am thinking of putting it on my 1966 200. Motor is in a rat rod. I already have a dui recurved on the motor and a holley 350 carb in the rat rod. Now what are something's I would have to do to get the turbo on. Just looking to run around 5psi or so. Nothing crazy. I know I need a j-pipe for the manifold and plumbing for oil and air. Where are some spots people have used for oil return and supply. Thanks

cool! be sure to keep us posted on progress, you'll get more help and feedback if you post pics! I for one want to see the 350 holley on the log manifold.

yeah mechanical mounting, j-pipe or cut and weld right to the stock manifold with nickel rod.

the oil supply can come right from the oil pressure sender, should be 1/8" NPT, just put a T in it and run a line to the turbo, but you will need an orifice to limit flow or you'll loose all your oil pressure and blow out the seal in the turbo.

the oil return, that can be a hole drilled into the oil pan with a bung, you want the oil return to flow freely so you don't blow the seals out on your turbo, so its best to route it straight down. People do plumb them into the breather hole in their valve cover but its not ideal.

If you use an electric fuel pump, the mechanical FP flange on the block could be used for turbo oil return . I have the return on a draw-thru turbo project return to the VC - not ideal. Brake line for a feed seems to limit volume/pressure with oil pressure guage at block and at the turbo inlet. The Holley 350 setup for blow-through probably is more workable than the draw-thru setup.

have fun

What size brake line did you use? I was planning to use the mechanical fuel pump. Any other tips or tricks. I'm fairly new to turbos. Was planning on converting the holley 350 to a blow through. Unless anyone else has better ideas for a blow through carb that'll work with the dui I have.

Ideally you want to use something like AN -6, or a 3/8" ID pipe for a feed. However, you can probably get away with something as small as AN -4 or 1/4" ID pipe if you need to limit oil pump loss. Personally, I would start with the -6 and if you see you pressure or volume loss back it off. to -5 or 5/16". I believe the factory lines on the 2.3t (I have an XR4Ti) is 1/4". I would be cautious about using brake line that thin for an oil feed - metal will retain heat and is prone to coking up, blocking oil from your turbo. That is an actual problem on the 2.3t motors. With something larger like 3/8" pipe there is less chance for total blockage. You can use rubber (oil rated!) hose for the feed, which will be unlikely to get blocked and will end up easier to route - although it's more expensive. If you have the tools for making AN hose, you can build both the feed and the return with it quite easily. You can look at http://www.stinger-performance.com/stockparts.html for inspiration. :)

There aren't just box-stock answers to tuning - it's going to depend on exactly what you're trying to do in terms of power output and what hardware you're running it on. If you're just planning on adding a couple pounds of boost then things are much easier and less risky than if you're planning on 20psi and running it til it blows up. You're obviously going to need to box the carb and get solid floats and probably look at another dizzy recurve, but beyond that it's a matter of what you're trying to accomplish.

AFAIK the wastegate housing the IHI is a standard Ford 5-bolt flange, which you can buy literally anywhere. If you don't want new, hang around on turboford and you shouldn't have any problem finding a used one. People dump those turbos like crazy because they are a PITA. :)

Back