Turbo selection

Firepower354

Famous Member
Any input on the ones I have:
Holset HX35
Holset HY35
Switzer S200

Stone-age draw-thru carb setup, 300, c6, 3500lb, 3.00 gears

From my research it seems the hy35 spools too quick and is probably restrictive (9cm exhaust housing) the hx35 is a good fit. Two members on this forum that I know of use it. That s200...just took a quick look at the compressor map and it doesn't seem bad for a 300. I don't know anything about draw through set ups and which turbos have adequate seals to deal with gasoline so you'll have to do some research on that. What's your hp goal? How much boost do you think you'll need to get there?

I don't think either will be suitable for a draw through due to a lack of oil seals. Blow through will be a different story.

Fingers":zd96jb9t said:
I don't think either will be suitable for a draw through due to a lack of oil seals. Blow through will be a different story.

Aaah, I'll need to find one that can accept the carbon seals.
Maybe the 3.8 supercharger on the same shelf, will get pressed in to service instead.

deere114":8gh4b3ny said:
From my research it seems the hy35 spools too quick and is probably restrictive (9cm exhaust housing) the hx35 is a good fit. Two members on this forum that I know of use it. That s200...just took a quick look at the compressor map and it doesn't seem bad for a 300. I don't know anything about draw through set ups and which turbos have adequate seals to deal with gasoline so you'll have to do some research on that. What's your hp goal? How much boost do you think you'll need to get there?

It's for RV/Towing, so it need not be a hotrod, and 2500RPM is about all it needs to turn.
2500=65mph and 2100@55, so torque in there is all I need.
I just want to be able to pull rolling hills without losing a lot of speed.
I guess I could make adapters for each and try them out, if I find seals for them.
1983 single-barrel stocker, now. I like the HD exhaust manifold idea.

The m90 would work good in this I think. It has a vaccum bypass so you only get boost after you get 0" manifold vaccum (aka full load) then your motor runs like normal on the flats. At 2500 rpm max the m90 is plenty large enough to. I've seen them used in draw through carb applications as well. I'd look into maybe water/methanol Injection controlled by a Hobbs switch. This will help keep iat and egt cool along with adding some octane so you don't have to pull as much timing. I would definitely run atleast efi exhaust manifolds and 2.5" single pipe all the way.

i bet the either of the holsets would be just fine blowing through the stock one lung carb. the HX obviously would spool later, but with 3.0 gears you could probably run a low pressure wastegate and be fine on the HY.

the carter is a pretty good carb for blow through, the main metering needle should be easy to tune. cant remember if that thing has a power valve or not...

deere114":2plj2rzi said:
It would be cool to see somebody blow through the stock carter.

RIGHT?!!

i'd love to see the 'minimum effort' build, something like an all-stock motor with a blow through turbo on the stock carb, no intercooler and minimal plumbing.

See the 'linc's 200' thread, he's using whatever stock junk came on the small six.

my original plan was to do something like this on my sacrificial 240 but unfortunately the stock cast pistons let go running N/A long before i got the turbo hooked up.

it could be as simple as an electric fuel pump, regulator, and cutting and welding a flange to the stock manifold. bolt on a turbo and run a hose up on top of the carb, hook up exhaust... it could be done *shoddily* in a couple days.

just watch your timing, lock out mechanical advance and retard it enough so it doesn't detonate. some years (early 80's) folks report weak pistons, prone to cracking or breaking ring lands. they will shatter like eggs in a rock crusher if you have any detonation.

I've seriously contomplated a no frills f150 turbo 300 pulling truck a few times. Nothing special and minimal cost, not even register it. Just tow it to the local fairs and have some fun. Ironically enough it seems for me anyway the vehicles I don't care about, beat on relentlessly, and short cut budget builds are the hardest to kill and always seem to be the most fun. A 300 equipped rotted out half ton with welded diffs wide aired down mud tires and a tubo shoving 15 psi into a stock motor. Pull after pull until something lets go. Junk yard cheap fix and repeat. Sorry to get so off topic lol.

Back