79 F-100 Turbo 300-6 Sleeper

pmuller9: Go for it! Not sure if it's enough area for e85, will try it and if not will stay on gas(or mixture) and next year will expand to cover all the plenum area like some of the Clifford's I've seen on the net.

deere114: :D

Has anyone dynoed their turbo 300's ? Mine is getting close and I'm going to be running 15 to 20psi and I was wondering roughly what people wreaking at what boost level

Wallace Racing track calculator put the Sleeper at 424 hp with the Crower 284, t72 turbo, 20 psi, loose converter for the 1/8 mile e.t. of 7.86@87mph and 3920 lbs. I like the track calculator because of cost, and it's true to the combo. The quarter mile times showed less power, which makes sense with a loose converter and school bus aerodynamics. I would have liked to engine dyno it however.

Estimations and calculations only, but since that run I had went to a LOOSE clutch fan (20hp vs direct?), bigger ebay gt45 turbo (5-10hp less backpressure), straightened the driveshaft angle, and ran more pressure in the rear tires. Estimating output to be 450hp.

Installed the Lunati 277 cam and wasn't real impressed initially with 2nd gear testing, as the extra power was absorbed as heat, blowing through the converter worse. Warmed up the engine for 10 minutes another day so the converter was cool, and let her eat in 1st. I literally said HOLY $)(!+. Around 16-17 psi (was 20psi with Crower) and for the first time the 300 was just toying with the truck. It felt like you've been sliding 20 pound boxes across a table all day and someone handed you and empty one. Even when the turbo was cool at 14psi it was impressive. Guestimate output 475hp. Optimistic calculations show that at 24psi it could be 526hp.

Certainly with moving the turbo to the front, porting the head with appropriate sized larger valves, and building an "over the top" header with at least 15" long 1 5/8" primaries collecting at a twin scroll ebay gt45 would move the hp up a healthy notch as well. I don't think a 550-600hp factory headed turbo 300 is out of the realm of possibilities, if one has the cash and skills. Just remember to watch ignition timing and fuel octane with a better head and bigger efficient cams, as the cylinder pressure is higher with less boost.

I was well on my way to building a screaming 240 to do just that, 30 psi with a Borg Warner S366. Between the funds, and the 240 not fitting into the 38 Ford(my family dream car) due to wishbone steering joint location, I decided to abort the mission. Most importantly I need to spent more time with my 11 year old son who is not interested in mechanics.(yet!) I will certainly miss the simple and rugged inliners.

It's always been about the 38 Ford for me, a huge project always passed up by something quicker and easier to build. I thought the Sleeper would scratch that itch being my all time favorite truck, but it hasn't. At this point I am looking at building a budget Windsor for the 38 as time and funds allow. It will fit very well with the dependable c6. It may just find it's way into the Sleeper until the 38 is ready.

Love it...big power from a big six and a big turbo, cant beat it! Runnin 7.8's in a classic truck would be a dream and the sound of the turbo spooling is awesome as well! Good job!

Matt

Back