Ford 240 inline six supercharge build.

I haven't run the engine yet guys. I'm honestly terrified right now. This is unknown territory. I feel like I need some guidance for my first start up. I know the basics anyway. But anything to prevent it from exploding would be helpful right about now.

I want to get a wide band O2 put on the truck, good electric fuel pump and i need a rough idea on where to set the timing for a safe level.

Honestly I've only figured it out once in my phone but if anyone for God sakes, could someone just copy these photos and post them in this thread it would make it alot better, instead of this crappy link stuff I'm using to show you picture of the build..

300supercharger2.jpg
300supercharger1.jpg
300supercharger3.jpg

I would set the timing low to start. Like 15 degrees would be very safe I think (can somebody else verify?) I'd run 93 octane in it and add a bottle of octane booster for safety on the first start. Wouldn't even bother starting it til the wideband is hooked up. I would leave the timing locked, dial in the fuel to a safe 11-11.5 under boost, then start playing with timing. Not sure how it's even going to wanna start locked at 15, but I'm pretty confident that number is fine under boost. My brothers broken tfi distributor locked at 22 idles like it has a big cam, but starts every time. I really like your build. Record a video when you get it running! I think a blown 250hp 240bb6 in a 3000lb car would make my 5.0 fox mustang look embarrassing in a race!

So guys. I have a few more plans after this that I'm excited to share. ( all just stuff for the near and far future but I promise I will come through on what I say and post lots of pictures. )
Anyways. After this supercharging headache has proven reliable I'll be adding a 50 shot nitrous kit I bought. And then when my engine starts to play a game of knock knock I'll be doing a full rebuild of the motor and change some pullys around to get more boost. And by rebuild I mean port, polish, pistons, crank, basically everything down to a T.

I'm pretty devoted to see how far these 240-300s can go.

I'm might spend a couple of hours making a guide or some sort of instruction thingy with measurements and blah blah blah so that if anyone else decides to do what I did they can. That's if people are interested ( let me know )

My setup currently is simple bolt on stuff nothing is idk how to call it. Basically you could take it all off in ten minutes, has cost me around 250$ Canadian, and to me looks aesthetically pleasing.

Just for a heads up.
If you are going to port and polish along with more boost you will need a bigger supercharger so be on the lookout for a good deal now.
An M112 or find a good deal on a TVS 1900.
If you want to push the limits on a 300 six then find a TVS 2300.

What distributor and ignition are you using now?

Toyboytoh":28dgb98k said:
Stock ignition and distributor. And m90 should do at least 12 if I change a few things.

I highly recommend using a DS2 distributor that is locked.
Then use it to trigger an MSD 6530 Programmable 6AL Ignition Box.

On one graph you can set the timing for starting, then program the rest of the advance curve.
Then on a separate graph, program the boost retard and the vacuum advance.

It also has a step retard for nitrous.

I most definitely haven't heard of or even looked into that before. Thanks for the tip. I'm also concerned about breaking the bank right now so I might have to hold off on a few things. I already have the nitrous kit. But a new dist, and ignition I'll look into. I just don't think it's absolutely necessary right now.

you want to test the limits get a procharger. i really like your setup i might build something like that for my new street pickup.

Ya hey. I wish I had ten of these engines to be honest. And I wish I could mass manufacture the parts made for this setup. It's so simple and would serve as a good kit. Aussie charges way to fricken much for they're crap. For instance. The carb to supercharger pipe on their website is over 500 mine was a bent piece of pip and twenty minutes of welding and grinding then some spray paint. They own the game because their the only cintendors. This is off topic but maybe some how I could send duplicate parts to a manufacturing company to make and sell?

Toyboytoh":e56o3vcj said:
I most definitely haven't heard of or even looked into that before. Thanks for the tip. I'm also concerned about breaking the bank right now so I might have to hold off on a few things. I already have the nitrous kit. But a new dist, and ignition I'll look into. I just don't think it's absolutely necessary right now.

I understand the cash flow restrictions. I would put the MSD ignition on the list for one of the next investments after you get what you have working.

The M90 is good for just over 300 hp net if it is run at it's rpm limit. It uses 45 hp at 10 lbs of boost to drive it to the limit.

I agree with the aftermarket cost on this type of stuff being unreasonably high.
If I hadn't moved 320 miles from the shop I was working out of I would also help produce performance parts and kits.
Thanks for the time and money you are investing in this project.

I have a rebuilt 240 short block in my garage with a Melings cam and forged TRW pistons. I see an adaptor plate being made for the EFI lower manifold I have. Also have an m90 sitting less that a mile away. Very cool project you have here.

... may not work as well as a digital boost referenced ignition box but it will simply get a Forced Induction setup up and running fairly safely :

I'm running a draw-thru turbocharge system and working on a supercharger project for basic 250/200 small block six. The draw thru turbo ignition uses a DS-II distributor that already had a "13R" slot in the advance plate. This is X2 at crank for max of @ 26 degrees mechanical/centrifugal advance. Normally the vacuum advance will add a significant more advance at power RPM's but if distributor vacuum is from manifold, as boost rises it loses the vacuum advance for a total @ 26 degrees... . ( At idle there is enough vacuum to get up to @ 15 degrees and may need a one-way valve on distrib vac line)

have fun

Back