turbo 200 build

67Straightsix

Looks scary! :shock: :wow:
Ogt7PC.jpg

11VtSB.jpg
6TIawv.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments - it's been mind boggling trying to make this all work together. I've been working on the headers for a month - a lot of
trial and error, but finally got a design that works/fits. I made the intake first, which was an error - I'm going to have to redesign the plenum to raise it up above
the header a bit. The serpentine belt layout was no picnic - took several bracket designs and pulley locations to make the water pump turn in the right direction.

Nice work. You've got it going on. :mrgreen: Nice serp drive. 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 were total mess years for me from the perspective of what I'd have liked, with nothing really getting finished. I know you'll get on with making it work well.

After years of saying the same thing, its lovely to see people like yourself being creative, and having a go. A MIG welder and some bends and RHS, whats not to like? How can you not improve on what was so restrictive in stock format. If a person can do 15's with a 205 flywheel hp 500cfm 2-bbl non turbo log head, what when the head is liberated of its flow inducing shackles? We'd seen common boost ratios of 2.1 times for stock power verses boosted in the old days of draw throughs, and its likely you'll start off with perhaps 240 hp naturally asprirated with thst set up if its was 10:1 compression withot a turbo, and with a 2.1:1 boost ratio at 15 psi, you'd see 480 hp flywheel even if it is at 7.5:1 or so.

(NB// Re your recent PMs thanks for the offers on posting those serpentine drive photos earlier, but, I have no info for you on the rockers aside from what was put in my recent post on rocker ratios. What I know is "If you work through the basics, you'll end up with a great result just using a few American smarts". The solutions in rocker arms are in shifting stuff to make it work, just like you intake. That's not a mistake, its a consequnce of optimization. Good fortune).

xctasy, thanks, your posts are always helpful. The reason I started this post is because I've seen a lot of awesome builds on this site and I wanted to put my ideas out there and get some feedback. I appreciate the input.

Nice!

What kind of time frame are you working with? Will this thing be up and running like say this summer or longer term?

Looks awesome, and I look forward to seeing the progress!

First Fox":1x5s0my5 said:
Nice!

What kind of time frame are you working with? Will this thing be up and running like say this summer or longer term?

!

I have to finish the intake and all the engine mods will be finished. Then wiring,and tuning. Really trying to have it running by spring.

Badnews1, trying to weld all the joints in the right sequence has given me lots of head aches.

I like what I see. So glad you did not just hack it off to put a "four barrel" on it. mpefi is what these engines need under boost.

Here's some pictures of the manifold/turbo/intake in the car - the motor is sitting a 1/2" too far to the passenger side, so the header doesn't actually touch the
fender well like it shows in the picture. Question: how much room should I allow between the header and the plenum? Right now tubes 4 and 5 come about
3/8" from the plenum) But it looks like it's all going to fit...barely!

8IgoFG.jpg

Gt7psz.jpg

ISz0BX.jpg

drag-200stang":bl58cd9r said:
I like what I see. So glad you did not just hack it off to put a "four barrel" on it. mpefi is what these engines need under boost.

Me too. I love what I see.

But believe me, you can put a 4-bbl on it with out hackin it up. I've spent years 'leaving the log'

Its just that what has been done by 67Straightsix, along with Fast64Ranchero, and JTTurbo, totally corrects all the nasty porting problems that infest this iron testment to low cost production. EFI is the right way.

I love your EFI system too drag-200stang.

Innovators, the lot of you. (y) :beer: :wow: :party:

67Straightsix":2o1630xu said:
Here's some pictures of the manifold/turbo/intake in the car - the motor is sitting a 1/2" too far to the passenger side, so the header doesn't actually touch the
fender well like it shows in the picture. Question: how much room should I allow between the header and the plenum? Right now tubes 4 and 5 come about
3/8" from the plenum) But it looks like it's all going to fit...barely!

Thermal Ceramic Coat the header to keep the primary pipes cool, heat away from the plenum and also out of the engine compartment.
Your header will last a lot longer and the turbo setup will run more efficiently without the heat loss.
You put too much work into the exhaust system not to have it protected.

Call Jet-Hot

I got a few more things done - decided to change the intake design to give more room between the plenum and the headers. Also, mounted the crankshaft sensor- it ended up being 180 degrees off of where I planned on putting it. It looks simple in the picture, but it took a long time to figure out :banghead: Getting very close to having all my engine fabrication done - next step is to wire in the computer and start it up! I decided to abandon the 40 EDIS and go with coil on plug because I can fine tune the dwell more precisely. Hopefully the next time I post the engine will be complete and painted - getting excited :D pmuller9 thanks for the information. I'll be contacting them soon.
Wgrm0M.jpg

4AUsPs.jpg

DMPZrF.jpg

:beer: great job, when I first saw that bundle of snakes header set I didn't think that they were being made to fit into an early Mustang body that still had spring towers. Good luck :nod:

Really looking good!
I'm not a fan of waste spark ignition for power adder applications. Glad to see you switching to single coil per cylinder.
Are you doing "coil on" or "coil near"?
Which coils will you be using?

67Straightsix":1vpj7e5v said:
I'm going with coil near - going to get them from a ( gasp, choke) chevy LS. The coils are D585.

Yep, the LS2/Truck coil will get the job done.
Just make sure the dwell time is not more than 4.5 msec.

Back