Bizarre Turbo Setup (not mine and sorry about the brand)

CoupeBoy

2K+
VIP
I was out looking through my local Craigslist as I do every morning and this popped up. It has to be one of the 'most interesting' setups that I've seen.
It appears to be a draw through that bolts directly to the intake manifold, and the custom passenger exhaust manifold is designed to accept exhaust input from the driver side via the inlet in the custom manifold.
I'm impressed and scared at the same time, I just can't stop looking at it.
This thing must have had quite a bit of engineering done to it to make it all fit together, assuming it works as advertised.
[url=http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/pts/5482854168.html:2y370v2z said:
SBC Turbo kit - $1200 (sw minnesota)[/url]":2y370v2z]Have a barley used Roto Master bolt on turbo and kit for a carborated 350 chevy. includes custom cast passanger side exhaust manifold, distributer vacuum /boost advance, and intake pluming.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Interesting find, currently over on the "Turbo Forums" a guy is looking for exactly that setup , probably for it's period look. Before Fuel Injection and the digital boost controls, most all Turbos were "Draw Thru" Carbureted , just typically not too great a MTBF.

In the bible of Turbocharging, MAcInnes describes both Draw-Thru and Blow-Thru setups without any real prejudice as far as performance.

The Buick - Olds - Pontiac Division of GM along with a few Chevys offered OEM Factory Draw-Thru turbocharged cars and the BOP V6 was continually performance upgraded through the Grand National T-Type terrors in the 80's. The BOP V6 is another 60's pushrod six with a devoted fan base.

Instead of starting from scratch, I adapted the 231cid pushrod six BOP turbo setup on a Maverick 250 small block six. The Draw-Thru setup needs specific turbo and specific built carb mated for performance.

have fun

Hmmm....interesting. Couple of observations...

That turbo inlet hose is going to have to get/have more of a bend in it, since the exhaust manifold is going to mount at a 45* angle and not straight up as pictured.

There's not going to be very much (if any) room between the turbo outlet plumbing and a Chevy distributor.

Why not go all in and have a turbo on each side? Be easy enough to cast the carb base with another outlet on the drivers side, then a "Y" on the back for both turbos.

Looks like fun!

Back