Big Bend Open Race prepping 93 F150 4.9 six to a twin turbo?

I'm prepping my 93 extended cab shorted flareside F150 to run the BBORR.com next year and wanted to start a thread on turbo charging the existing 4.9 with twins or single turbo?
Also wanted to drop the front end etc.and put full interior roll cage as I anticipate top speed of 155 in the division I will run.
Any thought and/or product info is much appreciated.
Will be able to do anything to body of truck as well as it will become a full time street legal racer.
Thanks in advance.

Will you be running in the Super Sport Division ?

The rules mentioned something about notifying the Race Director and/or the Chief of Inspection if alcohol is used.
Will they let you run E85?

E85 and a single turbo seems like a great approach, although fuel economy might be a consideration. How much power is it going to take to get an F150 to 155mph?? Gotta be well over 400 crank. I can't immediately find specs for 9th gen trucks, but 10th gen F150s would take 335whp to hit 155mph... 9th gens must be quite a bit more.

So it is safe to say that you would need at least 400 hp depending on ground effects and other ways to reduce drag.

The 118 mile round trip coarse will take you a better part of an hour to complete which is a lot of time to be under boost.
Your biggest challenge will be dealing with the heat being generated in and outside of the engine.

A twin turbo setup will be a little more responsive than a single but is a real pain to package and plumb in the engine compartment.
Using a single turbo with a ceramic ball-bearing center housing will improve response time.

To deal with the heat over long periods of time the head will need Inconel exhaust valves.
It will be important that a non interference valve to seat mating surface be used for good heat transfer.

Again because of heat, a coated piston will minimize piston heat absorption.
We use Diamond pistons and got the best results with a hard anodized piston.
This last tear down showed no piston wear and with less than 2% leak down we are going to reuse the rings.
Of coarse we are using BWE ZGS rings which makes the difference.
This is with between 10 to 16 lbs of boost around a 1.25 mile coarse for 8 laps a race, 4 race weekend BBC Blown alky Hydroplane.

I would use the Molnar CH6385NTB8-A, small journal 6.385" BBC rod.
The only mod will be to chamfer the one side of the big end for the crank journal radius.

This is just a quick overview.

That all sounds like good stuff. I'd be inclined to use an relatively oversized turbo - it'll hurt response, but help keep temps down. Seems like there wouldn't be a lot of low-rpm pulls in an event like this, so keeping a big turbo spooled shouldn't be a concern. There is a lot of good information on aero that's gone into recent trucks - air guides and tailgate spoilers, etc. - but I don't know how a single person applies that without a wind tunnel. I would think something like a chop-top would help reduce frontal area, and you could use the air guide concept on the headlights (which you probably won't need!) to reduce it further. Anything you can take out of frontal area will reduce power requirements! :) A flat spoiler towards the back to catch air off the cab will help too - although I'm not sure whether you're better off with an open bed, a tonneau, or a camper shell. I think I read somewhere a tonneau is really the best option, but no idea where.

I found the weight of that truck to be between 4200 and 4500 lbs. if that helps.

As far as aerodynamic improvements, you might want to spend some time reading over on ecomodder(dot)com.

The people who post on that board are very knowledgeable in aerodynamics.

Back