Turbo selection

7T2Bronco

Hi guys I'm back lookin for more power, 200cui just doesn't turn big tires very well. Max I can get right now is 70MPH flat to the floor, bogs at any incline. 72 Bronco Rebuilt 200ci, 32/36, DUI, Stock 3spd, 4.10 gears, 33x12.50's tires. I bought a set of 4.88 gears but have been reluctant to install them, I just feel the engines run outta power, and gearing may not be as big an issues as I thought. So I've been looking at boosting my six. Tons of info here, believe me it gives me something to look at, but alot of times I end up with more questions than answers. So I figured I'd start a thread and ask my away. Boosting this six has been on my mind for a while, and I'm going to do it. bought a M90 supercharger a few years ago, but decided against using it, mounting it looks like a PITA, fabrication isn't an issue, but compared to a J-pipe into a turbo, the M90 looks like a hassle.

Anyway, My first question is does anyone know anything about a CT26 turbo off of a Mk3 Supra? I buddy of mine has two sitting on his shelf, he's a Supra guy by night Ford Mechanic by day, and he said he could part with one If I could use it. He told me it would be good for about 10-15lbs of boost, built to spool down low, and runs outta boost around 5500rpm. Its relatively sized for a similar motor, with the supra having a 3.0L I6, and you know the 200 ain't a whole lot bigger. Only issue I see is I'd have to die grind that TOYOTA name off the Turbo, but from his description it sounds like a decent turbo that may work for my application. Do you guys have any opinions/info I should know about the CT26?

7T2Bronco":1swtnz01 said:
Hi guys I'm back lookin for more power, 200cui just doesn't turn big tires very well. Max I can get right now is 70MPH flat to the floor, bogs at any incline. 72 Bronco Rebuilt 200ci, 32/36, DUI, Stock 3spd, 4.10 gears, 33x12.50's tires. I bought a set of 4.88 gears but have been reluctant to install them, I just feel the engines run outta power, and gearing may not be as big an issues as I thought. So I've been looking at boosting my six. Tons of info here, believe me it gives me something to look at, but alot of times I end up with more questions than answers. So I figured I'd start a thread and ask my away. Boosting this six has been on my mind for a while, and I'm going to do it. bought a M90 supercharger a few years ago, but decided against using it, mounting it looks like a PITA, fabrication isn't an issue, but compared to a J-pipe into a turbo, the M90 looks like a hassle.

Anyway, My first question is does anyone know anything about a CT26 turbo off of a Mk3 Supra? I buddy of mine has two sitting on his shelf, he's a Supra guy by night Ford Mechanic by day, and he said he could part with one If I could use it. He told me it would be good for about 10-15lbs of boost, built to spool down low, and runs outta boost around 5500rpm. Its relatively sized for a similar motor, with the supra having a 3.0L I6, and you know the 200 ain't a whole lot bigger. Only issue I see is I'd have to die grind that TOYOTA name off the Turbo, but from his description it sounds like a decent turbo that may work for my application. Do you guys have any opinions/info I should know about the CT26?

I think that turbo is too big (that supra flows a lot more, even if similar sized) I would look for something off of a 4cyl engine. I am using a T3 from a saab 900 on mine

I used to work in the used auto parts industry, and I went up to my old job last week and looked around a bit, found a 89 Saab 900 turbo, do figure that'll work if it isn't seized up? I looked at the turbo, but haven't had a chance to see what turbo it was supposed to be.

7T2Bronco":3jonzx9r said:
I used to work in the used auto parts industry, and I went up to my old job last week and looked around a bit, found a 89 Saab 900 turbo, do figure that'll work if it isn't seized up? I looked at the turbo, but haven't had a chance to see what turbo it was supposed to be.

They came with 2, depending on year, one is oil cooled (T3 like I have) the other is water cooled. Either should work great.

Having too big a turbo, causes surge issues, as well as not spooling at low rpm, and should really be sized based on desired HP, not engine size. Since you want this in a bronc, you want the smallest turbo, that is still big enough to give full boost at WOT, and unless you are going forged internals, I would keep the boost low (3-5psi) which will still add 30-50% more power and a huge amount of low end torque.

Yeah Im not shooting for crazy power just trying to help it a little, not interested in going into the motor, it's a fresh rebuilt motor I got off a guy for $300, I'll check out that Saab again next week.

7T2Bronco":8bh0yidz said:
Yeah Im not shooting for crazy power just trying to help it a little, not interested in going into the motor, it's a fresh rebuilt motor I got off a guy for $300, I'll check out that Saab again next week.
I am doing the same for my 200 powered econoline... I suggest keeping the boost under 5psi.

Checked out the turbo again on that 900. Shaft wasn't seized, and it didn't seem to have any play in the shaft. it was an oil cooled garrett. he told me I could have it and the intercooler for $125. Sound like a decent deal?

7T2Bronco":dvddx6og said:
Checked out the turbo again on that 900. Shaft wasn't seized, and it didn't seem to have any play in the shaft. it was an oil cooled garrett. he told me I could have it and the intercooler for $125. Sound like a decent deal?

I got mine for $10 used but it had a bit of radial play (within spec), but $125 for a good turbo sounds decent...

Unless you plan to exceed 8psi (which I DO NOT recommend), you really do not need the intercooler. I suggest keeping the boost under 5psi on stock internals.

I haven't give up guys, I just lost my place to work on things, its full of crap(BBF parts), but I'm close to regaining my floor space. Saab turbo ended up being Oil and water cooled, still got it, but I've acquired another Garrett as freebie from a friend. he told me it was off a Lincoln inline six, the BMW diesel I6 in the mid-eighties. Its just oil cooled. My question is which setup is better? the oil/water cooled or just oil cooled turbo? obviously oil would be easier to plumb than oil and water, but I wondered about my application, I'm going to doing a lot of slow moving, idling around offroad, maybe the oil/water setup would be better maybe?
Also I Haven't identified the Diesel Turbo yet either, but it looks similarly sized? any ideas?

I've got turbos installed in mine that have the water jackets but I never hooked them up. TD04 from subaru.

I did a lot of searching and for a daily it seems it's okay to not hook up the water to it. If you do some searching you'll see about 50/50 of people who hook it up vs don't.

I've got a thousand miles on mine like they are and no noticeable issues.

RichCreations":2rlfm5v1 said:
7T2Bronco":2rlfm5v1 said:

I got mine for $10 used but it had a bit of radial play (within spec), but $125 for a good turbo sounds decent...

Unless you plan to exceed 8psi (which I DO NOT recommend), you really do not need the intercooler. I suggest keeping the boost under 5psi on stock internals.

How do you know how much the stock internals can take?

Dantheman67":2g037f9v said:
RichCreations":2g037f9v said:
7T2Bronco":2g037f9v said:

How do you know how much the stock internals can take?
the crank, and early rods (forged) can take a lot, but the pistons have issues, and are really the weak spot, I can't say what they can take, but 5-8psi is a good "rough guideline" for any vintage engine running stock cast pistons...

Now assuming it is not a daily driver, and you don't mind motors going boom now and then, you could likely get more, for a little while anyway...

My stock high milage pistons gave up the ghost but it took 20 psi to break them. With a big intercooler and a cheap T3/T4 Chinese turbo, I ran 12 psi and beat it to death quite regularly.

I believe with a good tune, 8 to 10 psi should be pretty doable on factory parts. Using decent fuel is cheap insurance of course.

Back