need help on turbo build

stang 67

Hello everyone, I have a 1967 ford mustang coupe (My first car) and have been thinking about building a turbo inline 6. The only problem is I don’t know where to begin, I don’t know much about turbo engines.
What I plan to do:
• Rebuild the stock inline 6 200.
• Maybe cut off the log on the cylinder head and make my own intake.
• Gets studs for the cylinder head.
• Upgrade timing chain.
• Upgrade distributor.
Questions I have:
• Do I need forged pistons and rods? (66sprint6 on vmf used the stock pistons and rods)
• What specs should the cam have?
• What type of horsepower and torque would I be looking at with the turbo inline 6?
What I envision for the car:
• A fun street car
• Maybe occasional track use
• its gunna be a daily driver
• should still be reliable

Any advice helps and thanks in advance!
you can also share your turbo build on here

A good start on a Turbo build is to read the "bible" of Forced Induction written by Hugh Macinnes. I got interested in Forced Induction after a friend with a WRX accompanied me to the local Dragstrip. Many aspects of building a Turbo or Supercharged car are unique and his detailed book affords a better understanding of what's important to making your project work .

have fun

https://www.amazon.com/Turbochargers-HP ... 0895861356

I made great power with a completely stock bottom end. What I believe you NEED to make it happen and make it last are:

Good carb setup for boost.
Electric Fuel pump, Boost referenced regulator
MSD 6btm or similar ignition box
Duraspark or similar dizzy
ARP head studs
Intercooler (not necessary but a great thing to have)

Thats about it. With a good tune this setup will rock and roll and be reliable for a good while. J pipe the stock exhaust manifold to a Buick GN or similar sized turbo and run some pipe to the carb and your set!

Matt

I think there is a more updated book than that one. I think mine is still around here 29 years later.

Hugh;s book was great when I bought it 44 years ago ,now I like Forced Induction by A. Graham bell. It is the best.

Please do not cut off the log unless you have developed crazy mad fab skills, hundreds have been cut off and never finished.
Get a late model large log and do a direct mount 350 or 500 Holley.

thanks ill look into that book as well. I wouldn't say I have crazy mad fab skills but I do have the skills to attempt the project. I also have a junk large log cylinder head that came with the car. Previous owner destroyed the head by letting water accumulate inside of it over time(and also the engine which i was able to save) and also drilled holes in the intake. I took it to a machine shop they said it was too far gone to be even worth bringing back(over 600 dollars to bring it back). I was thinking I would cut that head and practice with that then move onto the real thing when I was ready. I basically know how I will cut it and build the intake for it.

I agree with drag-200stang - it's the smart, easiest way to go and most likely to get finished. Having said that, if you do decide to cut off the log head, here's some things to think about; stud locations for mounting the intake, what kind of gasket are you going to use to seal it, will it fit in the car when you're done? Once you cut off the log there is zero support for parts - you to have fabricate everything! Before you start, think it thru carefully. If you do decide to do this I really hope it gets finished (y) - it can be done but it's a huge commitment. I know because I'm in the middle of doing this myself :banghead: Good luck on your build!

Sorry I haven't been able to respond, I have been working on other cars. The plan was to keep the stock exhaust pattern and just cut the log off weld flanges and then make an aluminum intake(I know I make it sound easier that what it actually is). Like I said in the start of the thread its a maybe and nothing is for sure yet.

UPDATE:
Im busy with school, planning to tear down the engine during my winter break. I'm making a parts list and figuring out prices right now. I was wondering what pistons company you guys used when you went forged pistons. also I have the opportunity to pull a turbo out of a 1989 Saab 900. I was gonna go with a turbo from http://www.cxracing.com (from what i have heard their quality has definitely increased and are reliable). I wanted your thoughts on which turbo to get.
the specs for the cxracing turbo are:
CXRacing Ball Bearing Billet Compressor Wheel T3 T04E Turbocharger
Ceramic Ball Bearing on Compressor Side
Super Quick and Fast Spool. Stage III Turbine Wheel.
.60 A/R Compressor, .63A/R Turbine
T3 Flange to Manifold
5 Bolt Downpipe Flange
3" Inlet & 2" Outlet

the Photobucket link below is a drawing of the design I want to follow for my intake manifold. tell me what you think and what i could improve on.
intake will be made from aluminum. the flange that will be welded onto the block will be mild steel
http://s61.photobucket.com/user/l6stang ... sort=3&o=3

stang 67":1e4oyy3g said:
UPDATE:
Im busy with school, planning to tear down the engine during my winter break. I'm making a parts list and figuring out prices right now. I was wondering what pistons company you guys used when you went forged pistons. also I have the opportunity to pull a turbo out of a 1989 Saab 900. I was gonna go with a turbo from http://www.cxracing.com (from what i have heard their quality has definitely increased and are reliable). I wanted your thoughts on which turbo to get.
the specs for the cxracing turbo are:
CXRacing Ball Bearing Billet Compressor Wheel T3 T04E Turbocharger
Ceramic Ball Bearing on Compressor Side
Super Quick and Fast Spool. Stage III Turbine Wheel.
.60 A/R Compressor, .63A/R Turbine
T3 Flange to Manifold
5 Bolt Downpipe Flange
3" Inlet & 2" Outlet

the Photobucket link below is a drawing of the design I want to follow for my intake manifold. tell me what you think and what i could improve on.
intake will be made from aluminum. the flange that will be welded onto the block will be mild steel
http://s61.photobucket.com/user/l6stang ... sort=3&o=3

I think you will find that china charger won't last very long, nor will it be very efficient, I would go with the saab (I am using a t3 from a saab myself)

RichCreations is there anything else that i should pull when pulling the turbo out of the saab? also can you share pics of your setup or share a link with pictures

stang 67":5xxley38 said:
RichCreations is there anything else that i should pull when pulling the turbo out of the saab? also can you share pics of your setup or share a link with pictures
My build is not yet complete, but I am doing a low boost setup, EFI (TBI), no intercooler, for a '65 econoline, likely not the way you want to go

Back