Future build; fuel management?

So.. I've been gathering info here and there about turbo-ing 300s. Very confusing, but I love it. I have a MAF-equipped 1996 F-150 with the 4.9 and M5OD that I plan on boosting in the near future. So far, here's everything that I listed as needed:

Turbo manifold ( Will most likely be the stock EFI one going to a single turbo flange, top mount style. )
Turbo ( HX35, not too sure if I can find anything better. )
Turbo gaskets

''2 to 1'' Throttle Body Inlet.
Lots of piping
Couplers
Hose clamps
Intercooler ( No clue what brand, probably what's on sale on eBay )
Cone Air Filter

Custom Downpipe ( Or maybe a hater pipe, we'll see ;) )
Innovate or AEM Wideband o2 sensor.

Oil filter ''sandwich'' plate for turbo lubrication
Braided hose and adapters (Not too sure what size, could need a little help with that, don't want oil to cook in it)
Lots of teflon sealer

Now, what's left to decide is fuel and timing management... I have the EEC-V ECU in my truck and while some people say that it's not necessary to get a standalone ECU and that getting a FMU and advancing timing will do the trick, I'd like to get some opinions about what I need as far as MY plans are. I don't plan to run over 8 lbs of boost. The truck will be a week-end warrior that will be driven less that 5000 miles per year. It's also my fathers truck so I'd like it to be reliable. And lastly, the budget is somewhat strict (not too bad but no units over 1k please).

I know there are some turbo gurus among you all so please enlighten me a bit :unsure:

I'm using an Innovate Wideband sensor in my build, I'm happy with it. Of course I don't have any experience with other sensors but it seems accurate and responsive to me.

The cheapest place I've been able to find turbo oil feed lines is ATP Turbo. From my research -4AN is the best size, also the size I went with on my build. Get a rubber oil pan gasket too, you'll have to drop the oil pan to drill a hole for the oil return line and put a bung in. 5/8".

Teflon tape gets eaten up by oil. Big no-no.

An easy place to get lubrication for the turbos is the tap at the driver's side, rear part of the engine where the oil pressure sending unit is. I just bought brass fittings and tee'd off there.

On piping, I bought the piping kits that were approx $100, just used the pieces I needed. Yea, I had pieces left over, but it's cheaper than trying to do it one at a time.

Before I went twin turbo, I believe the HX35 was the most reasonable turbo I could find for my build also. If I remember right, they're around $600?

AlphaZ":2yxtgst5 said:
I'm using an Innovate Wideband sensor in my build, I'm happy with it. Of course I don't have any experience with other sensors but it seems accurate and responsive to me.

The cheapest place I've been able to find turbo oil feed lines is ATP Turbo. From my research -4AN is the best size, also the size I went with on my build. Get a rubber oil pan gasket too, you'll have to drop the oil pan to drill a hole for the oil return line and put a bung in. 5/8".

Teflon tape gets eaten up by oil. Big no-no.

An easy place to get lubrication for the turbos is the tap at the driver's side, rear part of the engine where the oil pressure sending unit is. I just bought brass fittings and tee'd off there.

On piping, I bought the piping kits that were approx $100, just used the pieces I needed. Yea, I had pieces left over, but it's cheaper than trying to do it one at a time.

Before I went twin turbo, I believe the HX35 was the most reasonable turbo I could find for my build also. If I remember right, they're around $600?

Thanks so much for your help. What ECU did you use? :beer:

My project ended up being carbureted. I did a lot of research with Megasquirt but I didn't end up with it.

AlphaZ":1xd07og3 said:
My project ended up being carbureted. I did a lot of research with Megasquirt but I didn't end up with it.

I've read alot about MS too, but I don't trust myself enough to build the MS to EEC-V adapter. (https://www.diyautotune.com/product/diy ... pin-eec-v/)

I then contacted Moates and asked him if I would be able to add fuel pressure and advance timing by boost and he said he did not think so. :unsure: Too bad my truck is a mess of EFI rats nest, carb would make this 10x easier to modify.

Yea, I actually went ahead and built the megasquirt to EEC-IV adapter, and the MSII computer in my basement. It's difficult and time consuming, I won't sugar coat it.
For fuel, I used a boost-referenced fuel pressure regulator with a tank return. It adds 1 psi fuel pressure for every 1 psi of air pressure.
For timing, I used the MSD 6 BTM, which takes away timing for every pound of boost added to the manifold.

I don't know the condition of your setup, but I'd like to offer some unsolicited advice.
I suggest having the engine rebuilt so it doesn't give out when boost goes up. Increased main bearing tolerance, increased piston ring gap, high temperature intake and exhaust valves.
My main bearing tolerance is .003-004"
My piston ring gap is .032"

I also had main studs for the bottom end and had the block line honed. Crank straightened to .002"

Hope this helps!

Back