Oil cooler for SC/Turbo

powerband

2K+
VIP
Exhaust heat in a turbo is one of main engineering concerns adding the advantage of no "hot side" in a Supercharger.

The Vortech V2 - typical oil supply/drain, SC in my build obviously heats up to close to engine oil temps. I hadn't thought about the advantage of the 'self contained' oil supply SC's (V3's...) lower oper. temps ( ?).

> Would engine oil cooler radiator maybe with fan before the supercharger (or turbo) oil supply inlet be an advantage to help cool the compressor blower assembly from engine oil temp heating?.

???,

have fun

Honestly, I don't think that's a huge consideration. Superchargers that share an oil supply are designed to operate in that temperature range - I don't think taking a few degrees out is going to provide any useful benefit.

That said, adding an oil cooler seems like a good idea for oil and engine longevity - more power equals more heat, and the sump on the I6 isn't that big to begin. A thermostatically-controlled oil cooler (Setrab makes a nice sandwich plate, or you could steal one from a redblock Volvo) seems like a good insurance policy, adding volume to the system and keeping oil temps down.

How much boost are you planning on running? Are you intercooling?

Back