Old outdated Draw-Thru

drag-200stang

2K+
VIP
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2021
I thought I would post up my old draw-thru.,..Cheap quick and dirty
I relocated the heater to the intake manifold , and used a 5 gal. paint bucket held it a frame in the trunk..Cheap boat live tank pump, some 5/8" garden hose ...Heater blower motor moved to power the radiator fan water pump.This allowed cooling of the engine after shut off.

bubba,.. it was a blast :D ...
Life seams to get in the way of hobbies.
Bought turbo from AK in 74..transmission from Jack Roush in 76..finished chassis about same time, but did not get to track till 81-83.. Put it up on jack stands to finish body work and paint and make some upgrades ...Apparently electricians make poor painters, it has been on stands for 33 years. :cry: ..I hate body work so much I will make something to help performance even though it wont help much...Progress is being made slowly and have every intention on getting back out.

At least you drove it for a couple of years. I hear you about life getting in the way . The good news you didn't sell it . I agree with bubba to much fun not to finish .

Another old pic.
For those that wondered what the rest of the car looked like....In the water box ,14x32'' tires spinning,just starting to get hot.
Custom homemade head lights now fitted...Snorkel scoop gone and 6'' cowl fitted tight to the wind shield,not for air but for room for intercooler.

:beer: congrats drag-200stang, the fit and body work look excellent! Do you happen to have any videos of it running? : (y) :nod:

bubba ,...Thanks, it is really a 100 footer....Sorry no vids but I will if I can ever get it back together I will (y)

Very cool setup! So would you recommend a draw through setup with what you know? I want to turbo a six but I cannot decide on blow or draw through. I want a setup that's easy to fabricate and tune....that's why I'm leaning towards draw through. I have read from so many "experts" to stay away from draw through setups as they are old technology and to build a blow through...

Cheers!

cook11, Thanks
I would do blow through now, it is a better way today...Google '''blow through mods hangar 18'', for carb mods...
Good luck.

I used to design turbos for Schwitzer Corp. We turboed several test engines for Ford including a 200 and 250 6s they were all blow through. Ford wanted us to do them in a draw through style we told them to shove it as we would not want to be involved in the warranty issues that would be involved.

turbo2256b":2a1eks81 said:
I used to design turbos for Schwitzer Corp. We turboed several test engines for Ford including a 200 and 250 6s they were all blow through. Ford wanted us to do them in a draw through style we told them to shove it as we would not want to be involved in the warranty issues that would be involved.

Ford didn't want port EFI, and didn't want to relinquish the carb, and they were debating going to TBI in a turbo.

There's a reason Ford USA never went blow through aside from the first Paxton supercharged T-birds and 57 Fords and the 67 Shelby's....if a blow through carb ruptures a power valve or collapses a float or has a in service fuel delivery problem, in the words of Assistant Chief Engineer for the 79 Mustang 2.3 Turbo

Norm_Generalk_Fo_mo_co_assistant_cheif_engineer.jpg

Same with the blow through 1985 4-bbl Saleen PaxtonMustang conversion; should have been a shoe in for CARB emissions certification, but even the most excellent car sorters in the world had so many problems making a blow through carb work and be legal and safe, they avoided blow through carb instillation for years.

Gale Banks, Austin Rover's MG Metro 1275/ MG Maestro2000 and Ford of Europes 2.8 Capri Turbo and Alfa Romeo's TurboDelta and the Lous Esprit Turbo were the best blow through conversions. The R5/R18/Feugo Renault Solex 1-bbl blow through carb instillation weren't very reliable because of in service fuel delivery problems.

My summary? Norm General from Ford was right, but if your carbs are in good shape and you have a good, robust and well sorted fuel air distribution and linkage, then a blow through makes sense.

I think creating EFI style fuel enrichment through an aircraft leaning device and mapping it, would have allowed Ford to shut off the power valve entirely...like http://www.rotaryeng.net/HOW-TO-INSTALL-HOLLEY.html

You'll understand how the Holley Aero altitude leaning system by Tom McNeilly?

On a good old 2-bbl 4412 500cfm Holley, the air horn gets machined off like what was done on the factory Six Pack Mopar carbs

510-0-4365-1.jpg

Or a 4BBL

IMGP4878.JPG

If the 2-bbl without an air horn is placed where the stock 2-bbl its is now, you'll get 1.75" of height off the carb.

With the Fox body 250 i6's conversion I do, a very good kit to eliminate the air horn on a 2 or 4-bbl Holley is this kit. Since most Holley 500cfm carbs on a 302 find the 73 jets too rich, and the stock 60F's on the motorcraft 2150 just a little lean. With this kit, you won't have rejet a Holley 2-bbl 4412, and you can get things under the hood, you can trim off the choke horn, and use the aviation Tom McNeilly throttle lean device, and never have to change the jets again. It produces 150% rich on straight up setting, then about 1/4 turn or so in a position that has to be determined by time on an exhast gas analyser or dyno , it drops back to the required jet size. If you do a dyno run with this, you could produce optimum jetting by measuring the degrees of movement of the carb float mounted crank.

For cold starts, it would get shifted upright via a bowden cable, and then throttled back to that positively stopped position when its warmed up. Its like a Percy's adjustajet, but it produces a much better 'roosters tail' of fuel atomisation. As Ford found with the need to put eye brow interrupters into there CFI intakes, 2-bbl Holleys aren't great at fuel distribution, but the kit is from tomcn@earthlink.net for US $150 dollars excluding post and packaging.

These are throttle leaning devices used for light aircraft, see http://www.rotaryeng.net/HOW-TO-INSTALL-HOLLEY.html

It is best suited for a two barrel 350 or 500 CFM Holley carburetor. However, the unit has been successfully used on large four barrel carburetors. The mixture control WILL NOT fit other makes and models of carburetors! The unit replaces the fixed main jets with a rotating valve that is remotely operated by a push pull cable. The unit will go from total idle cut-off to overly rich by rotating the shaft, while the engine is running. Installation is very simple with step by step instructions provided.

Due to the outrageous cost of materials and the inflationary state of our economy,the price of the kit has recently been raised to $150.00.

The mixture control body is CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum which is alodine treated, the shaft is stainless steel and the screws are plated steel.

The first picture is what comes in the kit. The mixture control plate is in the background with the accelerator pump extension arm., power valve block off plug, and installation bolts in the foreground. I also include a set of three gaskets which are not shown.

TomMcNeillyIMGP4877.jpg

-Tom McNeilly
14001 East Williams Field Rd.
Gilbert, AZ 85296
International phone number is +1-602-899-7613

He's in Arizona, USA.

Northwest Aero Products also has them available. They are at
13812 179th Avenue SE
Monroe, WA 98272
International phone number +1-360-805-8183
Call displayed telephone number to ask for respective email address of Northwest Aero Products.

Follow those recommendations and you'll be able to adjust total jetting via a simple line of feedback code from Audrino.

Add TPS, and you can seamless resolve air fuel mapping by narrow band and an open/closed loop code test.

Is 300 - 350 hp obtainable using a draw through setup on a stock 200/250ci motor? I saw this video the other night of a Holden 202 running a draw through setup and it seems to run quite well....

https://youtu.be/TImZuouFHqQ

I have a nice Eaton M90 sitting in my garage that might work nicely on a 200ci...

The Holley carbs we used on the ford experimental turbo set ups were modified to prevent leakage and power valve vacuum referance channels were also modified. Some like my M&W marine turbo kits the carb is enclosed in a pressurized box.
The big issue with draw through is fuel getting in the oil and oil in the fuel. The seals required to stop this from happing just dont hold up to the RPM turbos run to. New turbos run up to almost twic the speed as the ones back in the 60s and 70s.

I used to work with the Ford engineers that were involved with the turbo 2.3 engines and designed some parts for them. In particular a dual over head cam version, oil pan for the 2.5 version and a couple years before the end of the 2.3/2.5 A split port head version similar to the 3.8 v6 I did it got axed do to it was to be a discontinued engine in 2 years or so.

Back