300 turbo questions

I have a 1986 f150. The trans failed on me a couple months ago, forcing me to shelf the truck for a while. I have since bought a new DD and want to basically modify the truck to be the truck of my dreams. I want to build a turbo 300 to put in this truck. There is only one problem, I don't know anything about turboing an engine. I've been reading and reading and reading forums for the last couple of weeks. I haven't gotten very far. I am thinking if I just lay out what I've been thinking, you fine gentlemen can tell me where i'm going wrong and steer me in the right direction.

So, as far as parts I've already bought:
-offy C series intake
-HD exhuast manifold
-DUI Dizzy (not sure if this will work)
- Comp Cams cam kit- Duration at 050 inch Lift: 206 int./206 exh. Lobe Separation (degrees): 110 Grind Number: 252H (not sure if this will work either)
-melling hv oil pump
-holley 390 carb (def will not work)

I think I may want to run fuel injection instead and maybe buy a holley efi fuel system, and sell the carb.

The engine is torn down and will be heading to the machine shop for a rebuild.

My questions are:
What should I get done at the machine shop?
What size turbo should I purchase?

I will never be pulling anything with this truck, I want it just to be a fun driver with a little extra pep, maybe 8 lbs of boost. If it makes 400 tq/300 hp I would be extremely happy.

Let me know what you think guys.
Thank you in advance.

In order to have 300 hp with 8 lbs of boost the base engine power without boost needs to be around 200 hp.

You will need some head work.
Oversize valves with some port work mainly in the bowl area.

The Offy C manifold can be used with the Holley HP EFI system if you weld in bungs for injectors, fuel rail mounts and make a 6-AN size fuel rail.
HD exhaust manifold will make for an easy turbo installation.

If you want sequential injection you will need the 1987 to 1991 distributor with the gray side mount module, The Cardone 84-2687MA.

Since you are using a log style exhaust manifold, the cam should have a greater LSA and less exhaust duration than intake duration.
Here is a custom turbo cam from Crower.
[image]https://www.dropbox.com/s/qufkzkwyxoz8or9/Crower%20Cam.jpg?dl=0[/image]

No larger than a 52mm inducer turbocharger.
I recommend the Borg Warner S200SX-E 52mm turbo with the .83 A/R turbine housing
http://www.jegs.com/p/BorgWarner/BorgWa ... gJoRfD_BwE

Basically at the machine shop you should have the short block throughly cleaned, maged., then a new set of cam bearings installed, the Connecting Rods should have a set of ARP bolts installed before resizing / rebuild. Bore and hone the block the minimum amount to clean it up the first #1 cylinders wear will usually determine this, use .020 to .030, also use a block deck plate if possible. Order a new set of forged Pistons in the compression ratio that you need, roughly in about the 8.0 to 8.5 range. Auto Tech has about the best price around for forged pistions and you can also pick out your ring pack at no extra charge, check out the metric rings for a little less rotating friction. Good luck on your build up. :nod:

It is extremely rare that a question is asked in an online forum, and it is answered exactly how the poster wanted. You guys are great. Thank you for the response and I will be following through on your advice. That was exactly what I was looking for to get started on this. Engine is heading to the machine shop this week. I will update y'all on the status as I progress through the build. Again, I cannot thank you guys enough.

Back