How much heat will a turbo add to a engine bay?

Wesman07

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2020
Approved Vendor
I am curious, Has anyone measured the heat in their engine bay before and after a turbo build?

I am asking because the shocks in my truck come up about 4" from the hood. The passenger side shock always runs 20 degrees hotter due to the exhaust manifolds. This causes a noticeable but not terrible amount of dampening fade, if it changes much more than that, I will have to compensate for it. Obviously avoiding it would be best.

Wes

I'm going to state the obvious by saying that the engine compartment heat will increase.
We had a turbo close enough to the hood that it discolored the paint so we sent the turbine housing in and had it coated. Problem gone.
This is the latest and greatest.
http://headershield.com/

Ok i figured it would, but had no real experience. That is exactly the product I would need. Thanks again Pmuller9

any idea what it costs? The web site says they give a rough estimate, but i don't see it.

Wesman07":2obu8u4d said:
any idea what it costs? The web site says they give a rough estimate, but i don't see it.
It is expensive. I checked out Facebook and there was $1200 and a $1500 price mentioned for a full header wrap.
Not sure what the cost of just wrapping the turbine housing would be.
Might have to give them a call for a ball park figure.

I did not think that the engine bay with turbo and short cast manifold was any hotter than the 6 thin 18 gage long tube headers it replaced.
I am sure the both at full tilt with low air flow , the turbo would be hotter...Horse power it heat.

Back