Contemplating turbo build

brandoncw

So as a few of you know i was in progress of working out a naturally aspirated 3 carb setup for a 300. Budget was cut short as well as time so it was essentially put on hold for the past few months. But not a day went by where i didnt think of possibilities. I was thinking of making a 10-15 max psi turbo 300. I have the ability to fabricate things such as intake, exhaust and flanges. I was thinking instead of tripple carb, do one blow-through carb. To make it easier here are my wants

Max boost: 10-15 psi
Max rpm:4500
Blow-thru carb
Turbo: Undecided (possibly salvage from cummins or 6.5 chevy?)
All boost in by 3000
Cam: no clue
Port n polish: will attempt this on my own with carbide to open bowl and clean ports
Pistons: HD step dished
Fuel: not gonna be a daily so it doesnt really matter what octane ill need but pump would be ideal incase of emergencies such as low fuel
Hp and torque numbers arent really a huge factor cause im sure and significant increase of power will make me giddy :LOL:
If i is important i want to put the motor in a late 60s mustang. Ive got a while before this will get moving with basic training for the Army coming up early June. Then after im stationed at a base ill have a little money and a little time to work on bits and pieces. Im pretty much testing the waters. Thanks. Ill continue to look though tho other 300 threads here because im sure its been beaten to death like this poor horse here :deadhorse:

pmuller9":32y23kyd said:
Here is the low rpm, high torque build.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=76014
If you want to operate at 4500 rpm you can use a 63mm turbo.

Will a 300 fit into a late 60s Mustang?
I may very well be wrong but i believe some came with 240s and if not it may be a bit long and call for some firewall modification

Edit: turns out i was wrong, they came with the small six. So i may be in for a treat to get a 300 in one but it certainly would have a cool factor

Trying to fit a turbocharger and intercooler along with a 300 six in a Mustang is going to be fun.

pmuller9":eksv14hc said:
Trying to fit a turbocharger and intercooler along with a 300 six in a Mustang is going to be fun.
I was reading that to put a 300 in one you need "big block motor mounts" in order to clear the hood. I think they were talking about the 67- 70 BB mounts. Its un clear whether it clears the firewall or not though. People put v8s in them all the time, so id think there would be enough room as in width for a turbo somewhere. But finding a place for the intercooler might be interesting, hopefully there is gobs of space in front of the radiator and behind the grill.

Air/water, 5 gal. tank in trunk, ice on track day, it will be ok without ice for day to day driving...but not if under constant boost..Then a cooler for the water may be needed..A 300 in a mustang will be nose heavy, keep the weight to the rear.

Mid engine mustang sounds cool. I bet the 300 valve cover would make a nice arm rest... maybe mount some cup holders to it

Here is a link by "nitrousnick" on how he installed a 300 in an early Mustang (with his parts list too), the same could done in an early Falcon or Comet. Sould be a bit easier for 1967 and up Models as Ford made the engine compartments a little bigger (wider) to fit the Big Block V8's for the FE 390's, 428's, later they also used the 351C, and 429's engines. Good luck (y) :nod:

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=56067

drag-200stang":29726wb5 said:
Air/water, 5 gal. tank in trunk, ice on track day, it will be ok without ice for day to day driving...but not if under constant boost..Then a cooler for the water may be needed..A 300 in a mustang will be nose heavy, keep the weight to the rear.
A 300 wheighs in at about 420 lbs without some of the accessories attached ( pumps alternator etc.) And a v8 in the some configuration wheighs 500+. I read that on here or another forum recently. I wouldnt think there would be too much of a wheight issue, but i would expect to have to put stiffer suspension since it would be heavier than the small sixes. But i competely agree with keeping as much wheight to the rear as possible. More wheight on rear tires makes better traction

bubba22349":vlqmstzb said:
Here is a link by "nitrousnick" on how he installed a 300 in an early Mustang (with his parts list too), the same could done in an early Falcon or Comet. Sould be a bit easier for 1967 and up Models as Ford made the engine compartments a little bigger (wider) to fit the Big Block V8's for the FE 390's, 428's, later they also used the 351C, and 429's engines. Good luck (y) :nod:

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=56067
Thanks, this is great info, ill be sure to save it for later reference (y) :nod:

Back