Laminova Intercoolers

Wesman07

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2020
Approved Vendor
I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to package an intake air cooling system. I want to go water to air because this will be going in a 4x4 truck. Anyone who has been stuck, or pulled someone out or caught up in a tight technical situation knows you could be working that motor hard and not moving anywhere.

These Laminova intercoolers can be packaged well, and for a reasonable price. My first question is, can these be installed into an EFI or Offenhauser manifold?

From what I can tell I would probably need two of these for up to 300 hp. Will the decrease of plentim volume be an issue?

The Laminova cores need to be installed in a shroud that consist of a round tube with an air entry slot on one side and an exit slot on the other side of the tube so air is forced around the entire 360 degrees of the fins.
These core assemblies are then arranged in a box that has the main inlet and outlet for the air and water port access on the sides.
The box can be mounted on top of the Offenhauser intake or as part of the EFI intake manifold just after the throttle bodies.

The intake tract volume is increased.

Examples of layouts.
https://www.google.com/search?q=laminov ... 30#imgrc=_

The intake tract volume is increased.

That would effectively lengthen the plenum route but not the runner, correct?

Correct, because the heat exchanger unit containing the Laminova tubes is before the runners.
You want the air condensed before it gets to the runners.

My next is about condensation. Cooling warm humid air is a recipe for condensation. On a separate intercooler, the water would be divided between all six cylinders. What happens if all of that water runs to the cylinder number six?

Unless you run an ice water intercooler, the intake manifold air temps will always be warmer than the ambient temp.
Example: Lets say the outside air temp is 75* F. At 20 lbs of boost the outlet temps are 300* F. With a high intercooler efficiency of 75% the air temp is dropped down to 130*F.
Then consider that at 20 lbs of boost the engine is working hard and the manifold air velocity is high, there is no way to have water droplet separation from the air.
You may be overthinking this.

We ran a huge ice water intercooler on the twin turbo 49 Ford and never saw condensation anywhere.
The only place we see condensation is on the Blown alky engine where we dump methanol into the top of the blower and it makes ice.

Back