Turboing junk with junk??

Nevadasmith

I just got offered a screaming deal on a pair of falcon rancheros (if they can find paperwork).... One is a 61 with a 144 3 on the tree, the other is is a 62-63 with a fresh 200 rebuilt to unknown spec's???? Also never been started...... I don't know? So from here on I'm taking about the we'll call it a 63. It has an unknown auto trans, I suspect 2spd, the seller assured me c4, ok what ever.
I was digging through my storage shed taking inventory of parts leftover from other builds...... And I found 2 things that made me go hmmmm? One is a motorcraft 2100 1.08 size ( could mill the head for direct Mount) the other is a brand new ?t3? For an 82 turbo coupe i think its ar 63/80...... So with some crude math.... 141cid *6500rpm/200cdi=4580 rpm. So the question is IF that is a stock rebuild, and IF I install a rev limmitor at4500rpm,and if I never go more than 8psi on 91 octane, and IF I do a draw through set up with the 2100... Is that a safe combination...... More just fun daily driver/ratrod....Uber low budget, just for fun, is this safe to try!!??? I will install a screen at the log......my priority is not destroying the 200, but have some fun with parts on hand?????? Or is this the worst idea ever?

The one problem is the turbocharger for the 2.3l engine was used with an EFI system and does not have the seal needed on the compressor side for a draw through system where high vacuum levels can pull oil into the compressor.

Dumb question but is there a kit with the proper seal???? Or should I just get over it direct mount the 2100 and call it a day?

Nevadasmith":2rk0dyce said:
Dumb question but is there a kit with the proper seal???? Or should I just get over it direct mount the 2100 and call it a day?
Take the challenge and modify the 2100 carb for blow through.
There is a neoprene carburetor float available and there is a power valve cover with an external vacuum nipple.

pmuller9":29eaetkw said:
Nevadasmith":29eaetkw said:
Take the challenge and modify the 2100 carb for blow through.
There is a neoprene carburetor float available and there is a power valve cover with a external vacuum nipple.
(y) also search Hangar 18 carb mods.

Thanks guys, I'll do some research on blow through carb tuning..... Now that you mention blow through I think I saw some oe intercoolers, and a bov in the shed also, hahaha
Now I'm just waiting on paperwork,,grrr
Oh one last question for now......
Is there enough advantage of a header style exhaust manifold over a fabricated log style exhaust manifold it's worth the time to build on this combination?

If you build a log type manifold, turn the primary tube towards the exit as it enters into the log.
Also increase the diameter of the log each time it collects a primary tube.
The increase in the log diameter prevents pressure pulses from resonating back and forth in the log.

pmuller9":15es7q95 said:
If you build a log type manifold, turn the primary tube towards the exit as it enters into the log.
Also increase the diameter of the log each time it collects a primary tube.
The increase in the log diameter prevents pressure pulses from resonating back and forth in the log.

So if the exit of the log was in the center, all primaries point toward center?

Wesman07":26v3rxzd said:
So if the exit of the log was in the center, all primaries point toward center?
Yes except you don't want the pressure pulses from the front 3 cylinders pushing their way into the back 3 exhaust ports or visa-versa.
You will need to turn the exit from the from the front 3 and the back 3 downward and collect them into a single pipe.
If you are doing a twin scroll turbo inlet then the two can stay seperate to the turbo flange.

This is one of the reasons why Ford made two seperate exhaust manifolds on the EFI engine.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/test-hoo ... manifolds/

Back