Oil Cooler and pressure drop?

gus91326

Supporter 2018
I'm planning out my approach and was wondering about oil coolers. Our cars have small sumps and I am not yet at the point of making changes to mine to add volume. I figured adding an oil cooler would help in reducing turbo oil temps. Of concern is the oil pressure on my 200. At operating temp and at idle I am somewhere around 10-12 psi. When moving it will get up to 40 psi. If I add an oil cooler, my concern is that the restriction may create lower pressure at idle. Does anyone run one? Is this a valid concern? Thanks.

Unless you have the engine heavily loaded for a very long time or you are running a filled block, ''hard block'', 'I do not think you will need one. ..I would put an oil temp gauge on it and see how it goes. Could be on the temporary side, until you know how it acts..I would think that beefing up the water coolant side may be best. The water jacket cools the oil more that I thought.
Keep it simple!

Appreciate the feedback! I agree on keeping it simple; I was planning on doing some track days with it, so up to 20 minutes per session; I wanted to build in a little more cushion on the cooling side. That being said, do you still recommend leaving it off?

We run oil coolers on different race engines.
The pressure drop increases as the oil flow increases so there is very little pressure drop at idle.
If you run an oil cooler with 1/2" or -8 AN lines you will see very little drop in pressure through out the rpm range.

pmuller9":p8hb1xjm said:
We run oil coolers on different race engines.
The pressure drop increases as the oil flow increases so there is very little pressure drop at idle.
If you run an oil cooler with 1/2" or -8 AN lines you will see very little drop in pressure through out the rpm range.

Thanks, Paul!

gus91326":1jjqjjg6 said:
Appreciate the feedback! I agree on keeping it simple; I was planning on doing some track days with it, so up to 20 minutes per session; I wanted to build in a little more cushion on the cooling side. That being said, do you still recommend leaving it off?
Well that could need one...But better oiling for track time may be wise...Deeper baffled pan, with trapdoors maybe some small wings, get the oil away from crank and keep it at the pickup...Sounds like the pump is worn out or you have more oil usage than you have pump...Shimming the bypass spring may help...A 250 pump will fit with some block and pan mods...A better way may be a spacer adapter, that may not require blocks mods...The spacer would help with a deeper pans pickup suction.

Back