Turbo setup

66falconwagon

I've searched and searched
Can anyone lead me to a decent novice turbo setup?
Something I can do myself in my garage preferred.

viewforum.php?f=22

On FordSix, FirstFox, Derangedfords90, Lincs200 all blew up there 1-bbl 3.3 turbos after getting brilliant results for acceleration.

If you gonna turbo, swap in a nice big two barrel direct mount carb like Crosley's Falcon Tu door 200 race car...a simple 2300 Holley 7448 or 4412 (350 or 500 cfm) or the bigger 2100 Autolite or 2150 Motorcrafts.

Does10s and Fast64Rachero have the best examples of turbo engines that don't blow up under more than 16 pounds boost.

Most problems are due to running a turbo out of fuel at some point in the rev range, or putting too much boost into an engine without having a carburettor that feeds all six cylinders.

Lincs200 was an overboosted 3.3 1982 Fairmont B code engine in a 3.8 1983 Mustang

afcd9cf0.jpg

EGR blockoff
EGRblockoff.jpg

fuel solenoid
fuelsolenoid.jpg

AEROMOTIVE regulator
AEROregulator.jpg

a0cde3f2.jpg

3ec85a95.jpg

e1e39636.jpg

d614ce1e.jpg

FirstFox copied that system on his 1980 Fairmont sedan with T5 and 2.73 axle

First Fox":a83kn67a said:
Just sent this video to a member here and thought a few of you guys would dig it. It is just a short video of my wideband and boost gauges during a measured quarter mile on a closed road. I took the vid on my phone for my own benefit so I could look closely at the gauges after my carb tuning so the quality is bad, but it sounds pretty cool and I thought Some of you guys may like it.

After going over the video a few times with a stopwatch it comes very very close to what the gtech on the windshield indicated: 14.20 ish at 92 mph. This is not top fuel funny car fast at all of course guys but I am still pretty happy with the fact that this is a 200 inch nearly stock engine with a ONE barrel carb running 87 octane gasoline, and during this run never exceeded 4000 rpm. Its is also an incredibly driveable car that commutes 180 miles one way and nets 31 plus mpg. :beer:

Ford inline six. 0 - 90 mph, 12 psi: http://youtu.be/d5eNTz0MAwI

My garage:

1962 Falcon. 170/Auto.
1965 Fairlane. Twin turbocharged 289/4 speed.
1965 Thunderbird. 390/Auto.
1980 Fairmont. Turbocharged 200, 260 Comp cam/T5 and '93 Mustang steering/suspension.
1981 F-100. 300/4 speed OD. I use this primarily to haul my cars home after I modify them and they break.
1987 Thunderbird Turbocoupe. 2.3/T5. Porche designed 16 valve, twin cam cylinder head.

"This video was shot mainly so I could watch the wideband and boost gauges during a measured quarter mile run on a closed road. It wasn't until after I played it back that I realized it sounded pretty cool so I posted it. :) This turbo 200 blows through a ONE barrel Holley carb atop a nearly stock engine. It is in a 79 Fairmont that is driven daily and year round in northern Michigan. It runs a 14.20 et @ 92 mph and delivers over 30 mpg."

SSS74_004.jpg

SSS74_005.jpg

SSS74_003.jpg

SSS74_002.jpg

SSS74_001.jpg

Derangedfords90 at FordSix did the whole kit and caboodle and even kept the A/C, catalyst, and the high mount starter C3 auto

derangedford90_1980_Ford_Fairmont_station_wagon_002.jpg

derangedford90_1980_Ford_Fairmont_station_wagon_001.jpg

If you decide to do it, fuel it properly, don't let it melt down

xctasy":a83kn67a said:
Derangedfords90":a83kn67a said:
Small update, and a bit of a sad one at that. The engine has developed a noise. Without pulling it apart I can only speculate that I may have butted a ring. So, unfortunately I will be pulling it and swapping the 351w I have on the stand in it, only because I have it. I will be pulling it apart and looking for what happened in the name of science, and if the damage is not horrible will probably rebuild it. I think I'm going to keep it to put into a bronco II or ranger. Probably do some sort of EFI system and put some more boost to it next time. Thanks all for the help! Updates to what happen will follow this post!

images

I'm a Lava Luva not a hater...

Buy one of these bro' Six Shooter mortif :beer: :wow:

s-l300.jpg

Lincs200, Does10s, First Fox, and now Re-arangedfords90!

I feel like I'm aiding an abetting both sides of the fight here, either option will be the coolest!

Does10s was able to make Silvolite 1189P cast aluminium pistons survive 424 rear wheel horsepower with just a little log had and 350 direct mount Holley carb at 16 to 18 pounds of boost. Everything he has done is worth copying. His fuel delivery system ingition, turbo manifold and his trust of TurboChick Kelly, his beloved partner, was an example of how turnkey and great a nice turbo six can be. He broke only a piston wall after a frozen wrist pin, and I believe his testimonial isn't piston skirt failure. So between Does10's, Lincs200, FirstFox and Derangedfrods90, you've got a build path.

"According to Matt our cars will be elevnty billion times faster than all of yours because our carbs flow 500cfm!!!!"hasa68mustang
Bort62,
6Sprint66,
Kirkallen are other members here with a great track record. Again, some of the truley great posts no longer have active links.

Matt ITS A SIX!!!!!"6Sprint66 viewtopic.php?f=22&t=70797

We used to call it FordSix Peformance, but sadly, aspects of the 10000 membership are more interested in non Electronic neo Luddite ideas like removing emissions gear and hooking up gear that doesn't work.

Graciously, the two best forums for me are the Turbo forum and the the MegaSquirt Forum. Both have never really had the take up the suppliers would have liked, and its basically because people would rather bitch and moan about poor idle quality with there stock I6 than fix

the 1-bbl carb
worn out timing set
out dated ignition tune
and crankcase ventilation blow by proper emission package reduction

It is inattention to those things that causes all that ring flutter and poor idle and excessive fuel use jazz.

The Speed Density MegaSquirt MS2 will do absolutely everything for ignition and fuel delivery for a very low fraction of the cost or rebuilding the whole 200 cubic inch in line six after its been killed by 1-bbl carb Boost. It's serviced info wise by massively smart people, and two of them have DIYAutotuning status to do shaddow sessions, and they are like Mission Control to Buzz Aldren.

a91what is the guy, and steves megasquirt tuner studio help thread is the place to go to get great help.

I'm too busy to play with MS, as I've never had any problem with Fords EECIV.

But if your gonna go turbo, MegaSquirt should be your first option before anything else. The Vintage In line head should rank neck and neck, and if you limit the revs an boost, a stock rebuilt blockl with a good cam is the next thing. I'd keep it 3.03, 2.77 with T5, or C4 with 7 1/4" 2.83, and lock down the rev limit to 5500rpm.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums ... forum.357/

The thing is that most US EFi systems work fine on the cars that have it, while I6 guys are rare, and EFi Turbo In Line Sixers, downrigth scarce!

Its designed to work with Fords EDIS, and its basically an open source EECIV without the Eddie the Iron Maiden Gate Keeper ripping the life out of every non standard performance modification like it is with the 1983 to 1995 EEEK Four!!!!.

People like thesameguy, Mike1157 and many others have ensured the advantages of proper modern ignition and fuel delivery are endorsed, and they have both gotten reliable rides with 100% stock Ford electronic EDIS ignition and the difference is just night and day. Jack Collins (Mustang6), has added post after post of great advice on SDS EFi and MegaSquirt, and gone through patient explantion on how to get good results. It is to his credit that the MegaSquirt forum exists, and the fact that 90% of all posts in it are not about MegaSquirt EFi is just the state of the nation. Its that people aren't really ready to relingish the reigns on the nasty old carb, and It is what it is, and thats life Jim....

On a Vintage Inlines Alloy head, your MS2 EFi and a 278 cam would make a turbo 200 a 500 hp streeter with just the stock 200 block. With EFi and a head with 220 cfm of flow and a cam with 490 thou lift at the valve, with 14.7 pounds of boost, and the rev limiter set to 5500 rpm, the whole engine would be turn key and reliable.

Lincs200 was in addition an active member of the Turbo Forum. In 2007 before the GFC, he was away doing work overseas, getting married etc, so a lot of the links that he had are just no longer working. Its clear that no one really read his information sources, but thats common. Many are called, only to a few it's wrotten.

As a note, FirstFox and Mike1157 have noted, the Poor Mans boost limiter with its bolt is flawed in certain adjustment postions in practice, although the basic idea is right. The prevading thought of having a small stock cam and the small stock 1946 Holley 1-bbl carb is a great way to wreck an engine. The piston ring clearance, the bore surface and piston type is a massively important first step. Modern engines with the post 1993 metric ring packs and plateau honed bores can stand a huge increase in boost without killing an engine. Older imperial ring pack engines just don't like to be taken past the level of stress they were used to. Adding 16 pounds of boost, and reving it past the 5000 rpm it was used to in its stock apllication will always result in ring butting or blow by. The older engines had bore texture set as coarse on the production line , and the peak to trough roughness in the bores doesn't like it when your adding a lot of boost...the rings flutter, the blow by becomes huge, and the stock PCV systems overload the chambers with blowby, leaning out the air fuel ratio even more.

Mike1157 has a fully operative 250 Maverick 1978 engine with aluminum head, a 295 degree at lash solid roller cam with 550 thou of lift at the valves and MegaSquirt Injection with a T04 turbo and its epic. Basicailly, another common old log head wreck engine, spiced up with a little Turbo charger and a lot of Service Techncians clever work. For a guy who used to run twin N20 systems, turbo charged 302 Dodge Conquests and 4.6, 351 and 460 V8 Foxes, I'm guessing an I6 Ford turbo is a little tame, but its an example of how crazy you can go.

He's run cast iron conrods before a recent rebuild (its now got earlier stronger forged rods, BMW "6 bbl" EFI "ITB's" (Independent Throttle Bodies), and a new, non intercooled turbo set up.

One very important thing is that any turbo engine with poor intake flow needs a lot of cam duration, a wider lobe separtion because it behaves like an engine at least 100 cubic inches bigger , and if you can meld togther a good 2-bbl, or three in sync simultaneous non staged carbs with a 274 or 278 degree Clay Smith cam with better than 490 thou lift at the valve, then you'll be able to unlock a lot of the extra potential a Ford in line six cylinder engine has.

George, "George's Just For Fun DIY Turbo Experiment"

Mark_iii_Ford_Cortina_Model_TD_250_with_Turbocharger.jpg

/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5241

/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43235&p=518852#p518852

used a lot of cam duration (IIRC, 291 degrees at lash, 235 degrees at 50 thou) , and lift (well over 520 thou) on a much better breathing cross flow Australian headed 250 4.1 liter engine, and found what others have found...a Ford I6 with better fuel supply than the stock 1-bbl just laps up the extra attention.

10 seond quarter miles are not just the reserve of Does10s!

See these

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=69284&p=533586#p533586

/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=68856

/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=67835

TS017-1-1.jpg

fast64ranchero

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52784&p=404389#p404389

fast64ranchero":3gmeq01n said:
Will I did that last saturday night, it was fun, the car looks like a beater really makes for a nice sleeper, Had lots of people looking at it and shaking there heads....
82F100 not sure what pics you want, most are already on this forum somewhere
hailey07012.jpg

motor with the TKO 5sp
Christams07062.jpg

if I only could have kept it all under the hood!!!!

YellowStone2008233.jpg

You gotta lot of reading to do!

:mrgreen:

See the famous Lincs 200 13.5 second 1984 Mustang with 83 X code LTD 3.3 conversion to see how simple it can be. One 92 hp six and one 20 psi turbo boost killed the old girl, but it shows you what you can do.

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24859

So would a high mount 200 if you used hasa68stang set-up

He bought Lincs200's old turbo in 2007, and mated it up to a new J tube.

hasa68mustang":36u5ppwo said:
the second.... if I remember correctly was linc's turbo off his build with a larger exhaust housing. It was a T3 flanged unit BUT with a 1.00 a/r hotside. :eek:opsie: too big. when I say thre it together I did the whole thing in an afternoon

This was the "new" setup with a J pipe, again no issues with the welds despite being done by me in high school. The hotside on this turbo was too big. The first turbo was too small. maybe one day I'll try again.

kirkallen143 here on Fsp and the turbo forum has a some nice work too http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/3 ... 0-inline-6

Oh, and the rules for a great Turbo 6 Project from Lincs200

1) use what you have already.
2) If you don't have it - - find someone to give it to you for free
or buy it as cheap as you can.
3) Don't get too serious - this is for fun!
4) Try not to make it look too terribly cobbled together. A little is OK but you can't be totally embarrased to let anyone look under the hood.

Back