Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Moderator: Mod Squad

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #1 by thatblue_67stang » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:48 pm

I need help. I have built a turbo 200 and it performs great. i have a electric fuel pump supplying a fuel pressure regulator with 60 gallons per hour of fuel. this fuel regulator is boost referenced so every psi of boost increase one psi of fuel. all of this is feeding a holley 2300 350 cfm carb. i have it on a custom intake manifold. my problem is that after a few seconds at wot throttle my fuel leans out to about 14afr which is not good. my afr at WOT for the first 5 seconds is about 12. some people have said its fuel puddling in my intake. some say its my fuel delivery systeem up to the carb and some say its my carb. i dont think its my fuel delivery because i met a guy who brought his turbo 200 up to 250 hp and still used the stock lines. I really enjoy the car but cant run full throttle for very long.
Last edited by thatblue_67stang on Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

drag-200stang
Registered User
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:10 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT

Post #2 by drag-200stang » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:26 pm

At that time , what is your boost psi and what is your fuel psi showing on your gauges ?
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT

Post #3 by thatblue_67stang » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:33 pm

drag-200stang wrote:At that time , what is your boost psi and what is your fuel psi showing on your gauges ?



throttle is WOT so its always max boost. so 5psi lol. but as to fuel idk my gauge is inside the engine bay. i might invest in another gauge so i can see it in the car. but its a holley pressure regulator so im guessing its working haha
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

drag-200stang
Registered User
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:10 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT

Post #4 by drag-200stang » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:48 pm

You cannot guess :wink:
Do not put the fuel psi gauge inside unless it is electric...Get some foam and tape it to your cowl if it is not...Test tape first so you do not pull your paint off.
Not sure , can you see your boost gauge?
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT

Post #5 by thatblue_67stang » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:52 pm

drag-200stang wrote:You cannot guess :wink:
Do not put the fuel psi gauge inside unless it is electric...Get some foam and tape it to your cowl if it is not...Test tape first so you do not pull your paint off.
Not sure , can you see your boost gauge?



yes i have 2 boost gauges one directly to the turbo and one on the manifold. reason i have 2 is to see if i have a boost leak in between. i think fuel pressure is about the only gauge i dont have.
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT

Post #6 by thatblue_67stang » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:03 pm

drag-200stang wrote:You cannot guess :wink:
Do not put the fuel psi gauge inside unless it is electric...Get some foam and tape it to your cowl if it is not...Test tape first so you do not pull your paint off.
Not sure , can you see your boost gauge?



if you want to talk i have a facebook or instagram that i would love to talk to you. ive been trying to figure this out becuase this is the only problem with the car.everything else is great. and when it goes WOT its fast and fun.
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT

Post #7 by thatblue_67stang » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:31 pm

drag-200stang wrote:You cannot guess :wink:
Do not put the fuel psi gauge inside unless it is electric...Get some foam and tape it to your cowl if it is not...Test tape first so you do not pull your paint off.
Not sure , can you see your boost gauge?



any ideas?
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

drag-200stang
Registered User
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:10 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT

Post #8 by drag-200stang » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:16 pm

thatblue_67stang wrote:
drag-200stang wrote:You cannot guess :wink:
Do not put the fuel psi gauge inside unless it is electric...Get some foam and tape it to your cowl if it is not...Test tape first so you do not pull your paint off.
Not sure , can you see your boost gauge?



if you want to talk i have a facebook or instagram that i would love to talk to you. ive been trying to figure this out becuase this is the only problem with the car.everything else is great. and when it goes WOT its fast and fun.

Sorry I do not do those two.
At this point you need to see if you have about 4.5 psi more fuel pressure at the carb than boost pressure at the hat when it goes lean...I did draw thru ,not experienced with blow thru , I am now moving on to mpefi , much better control...For some good blow thru info google, ''hangar 18 mods''
Let us know what you find...Good luck.
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.

User avatar
xctasy
VIP Member
Posts: 6585
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:40 am
Location: PO Box 7072 Dunedin 9011,South Island, NEW ZEALAND
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #9 by xctasy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:16 am

The Well tubes need one less hole to stop emulsification of the fuel air mix when the hydrostatic fuel grade line is drawn down. IF its making 300 horespower, then its consuming at least a quart of fuel a minute, and the drow down curve on the float is way down to below the sight glass, so thats where you need to start blocking holes from the lowest one first and on up if that doesn't stop the lean out.

Normally, a Holley or Autolite or Motorcraft has five holes of 25 thou down its well tube on both sides.


TMC make a special finer 6 hole e-tube, but thats for special Weber Power Plate applications. You need less holes, maybee four, with the base or bottom ones plugged up to richen up the air fuel. Holley 2300_4150 series havehalf round 342 thou Well Tube



Holley 2300 & 4150 series has round 342 thou Well tubes

TMC's extra emulsion tube well tube.
Image



Soldering up or JB Welding one hole each at the bottom of the well tube will help richnen the air fuel mixture at certain points high in the rev range.


You want flat fuel, and the emulsion/well tube is exactly how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkFSA_rRFI



Lotus had this problem in 1979 to 1980 when the Essex Esprit Turbo was being given a 40% power boost with a T03 60 turbo on a tiwn Dell Orto DHLA 45 2-bbl carb system.

They reprofiled the well tubes, and added an open section to the top of the carbs air horn to force the fuel level down by ramming air into the bowl vent.
Image
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #10 by thatblue_67stang » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:35 pm

xctasy wrote:The Well tubes need one less hole to stop emulsification of the fuel air mix when the hydrostatic fuel grade line is drawn down. IF its making 300 horespower, then its consuming at least a quart of fuel a minute, and the drow down curve on the float is way down to below the sight glass, so thats where you need to start blocking holes from the lowest one first and on up if that doesn't stop the lean out.

Normally, a Holley or Autolite or Motorcraft has five holes of 25 thou down its well tube on both sides.


TMC make a special finer 6 hole e-tube, but thats for special Weber Power Plate applications. You need less holes, maybee four, with the base or bottom ones plugged up to richen up the air fuel. Holley 2300_4150 series havehalf round 342 thou Well Tube



Holley 2300 & 4150 series has round 342 thou Well tubes

TMC's extra emulsion tube well tube.
Image



Soldering up or JB Welding one hole each at the bottom of the well tube will help richnen the air fuel mixture at certain points high in the rev range.


You want flat fuel, and the emulsion/well tube is exactly how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkFSA_rRFI



Lotus had this problem in 1979 to 1980 when the Essex Esprit Turbo was being given a 40% power boost with a T03 60 turbo on a tiwn Dell Orto DHLA 45 2-bbl carb system.

They reprofiled the well tubes, and added an open section to the top of the carbs air horn to force the fuel level down by ramming air into the bowl vent.


I'm not familiar with these holes you are talking about. I have a holley 2300 350cfm and dont know where those would be. If I even have any.
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

fast64ranchero
Registered User
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:58 am
Location: Boise ID

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #11 by fast64ranchero » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:12 pm

I'd say one of two things.
Fuel pressure problem as talked about by Drag, or you need more jetting after your accelerator pump circuit has completed spraying.
If you have not increased the size of the passage on the power valve circuit, read up on that, that is what I did on my setup and it ran 20lbs boost with a blow through turbo setup. I'm sure I posted that info is on here somewhere.
63 Ranchero,1965 Mercury Comet Convert V-8, 1978 Fairmont small six, mill'd off intake, 62-1 ET 12.332 @ 123.49 mph (gone)

User avatar
xctasy
VIP Member
Posts: 6585
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:40 am
Location: PO Box 7072 Dunedin 9011,South Island, NEW ZEALAND
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #12 by xctasy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:32 pm

I don't do electric fuel pumps for this reason. Its all very messy, and its possible to deliver aerated fuel to the carb if the fuel piuckup at the tank is being influenced by another source. Down here, we drag race and have steep graients for luanch boats with uni body cars...so all Fords down here ran stillage pots and all imported US Fords except the early twin fuel pump Mustangs with CFi or the Turbo 2.3 EFi....they had dreadfull issues with electric fuel pump supply when you added boost.

I refuse to use anything like the standard electric fuel pumps.

Aerated fuel is the bane of some electric fuel delivery problems.




Image

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0807-holley-carburetors-basics-guide/ wrote:Emulsion Immersion
You’ll see references here to emulsion circuits, an important-sounding term that describes mixing fuel with air. Think of it as blowing bubbles in the fuel. All carburetors mix air with fuel in the venturi just before it enters the engine. But carburetors also mix air with fuel farther upstream inside the carburetor in the main well to make the liquid fuel easier to manage. Holley carburetors use a parallel air well that transfers air into the main well through two, three, and sometimes five holes that can be seen in the metering block photo (page 36). While this passage is called an air chamber, fuel still resides in this chamber at the same level as the fuel in the float bowl. As fuel demand increases at higher engine speeds, the float level drops, uncovering the lower holes in the emulsion circuit, which adds more air and leans out the air/fuel ratio. Combining the main jet flow area with the area of these emulsion holes and the high-speed air-bleed (along with a raft of other minor inputs) creates the basic fuel curve.

Unless you already know all about Holley metering idiosyncrasies, these emulsion circuits should be left to professional tuners. Just so you know, the basic function follows that increasing the size of these emulsion holes will reduce fuel flow and lean out the overall fuel curve. Increasing the size of the high-speed air-bleed will also delay the onset of fuel flow in the main metering circuit. Reducing the diameter of the high-speed air-bleed produces the opposite effect.

Think of the emulsion tube in the main well as a straw immersed in your favorite soda. A light amount of suction (pressure differential) on a straw with no holes pulls a large amount of liquid very quickly. What’s really happening is atmospheric pressure pushes the liquid from the glass into your mouth. If you place a small hole in the straw above the liquid level, this introduces air into the straw, requiring a greater pressure differential (or more time) to move an equal amount of liquid up the straw. The liquid that is pulled up the straw will have tiny air bubbles mixed in with the liquid. What you’ve created is a simple emulsion tube. The difficulty comes in figuring out the size, number, and placement of emulsion holes in the metering block. The good news is that Holley has worked all this out for you, but at least now you know what those holes do and how important they are to an engine’s fuel curve.




A set of replacable air bleeds, jets and emulsion tubes by the old Weber/Edelbrock and now TMP kit.

Image
Image
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #13 by thatblue_67stang » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:25 pm

fast64ranchero wrote:I'd say one of two things.
Fuel pressure problem as talked about by Drag, or you need more jetting after your accelerator pump circuit has completed spraying.
If you have not increased the size of the passage on the power valve circuit, read up on that, that is what I did on my setup and it ran 20lbs boost with a blow through turbo setup. I'm sure I posted that info is on here somewhere.



i have drilled it slightly bigger. but 5 seconds seems like a long time for the accelerator pump to still be active
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #14 by thatblue_67stang » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:29 pm

xctasy wrote:I don't do electric fuel pumps for this reason. Its all very messy, and its possible to deliver aerated fuel to the carb if the fuel piuckup at the tank is being influenced by another source. Down here, we drag race and have steep graients for luanch boats with uni body cars...so all Fords down here ran stillage pots and all imported US Fords except the early twin fuel pump Mustangs with CFi or the Turbo 2.3 EFi....they had dreadfull issues with electric fuel pump supply when you added boost.

I refuse to use anything like the standard electric fuel pumps.

Aerated fuel is the bane of some electric fuel delivery problems.




Image

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0807-holley-carburetors-basics-guide/ wrote:Emulsion Immersion
You’ll see references here to emulsion circuits, an important-sounding term that describes mixing fuel with air. Think of it as blowing bubbles in the fuel. All carburetors mix air with fuel in the venturi just before it enters the engine. But carburetors also mix air with fuel farther upstream inside the carburetor in the main well to make the liquid fuel easier to manage. Holley carburetors use a parallel air well that transfers air into the main well through two, three, and sometimes five holes that can be seen in the metering block photo (page 36). While this passage is called an air chamber, fuel still resides in this chamber at the same level as the fuel in the float bowl. As fuel demand increases at higher engine speeds, the float level drops, uncovering the lower holes in the emulsion circuit, which adds more air and leans out the air/fuel ratio. Combining the main jet flow area with the area of these emulsion holes and the high-speed air-bleed (along with a raft of other minor inputs) creates the basic fuel curve.

Unless you already know all about Holley metering idiosyncrasies, these emulsion circuits should be left to professional tuners. Just so you know, the basic function follows that increasing the size of these emulsion holes will reduce fuel flow and lean out the overall fuel curve. Increasing the size of the high-speed air-bleed will also delay the onset of fuel flow in the main metering circuit. Reducing the diameter of the high-speed air-bleed produces the opposite effect.

Think of the emulsion tube in the main well as a straw immersed in your favorite soda. A light amount of suction (pressure differential) on a straw with no holes pulls a large amount of liquid very quickly. What’s really happening is atmospheric pressure pushes the liquid from the glass into your mouth. If you place a small hole in the straw above the liquid level, this introduces air into the straw, requiring a greater pressure differential (or more time) to move an equal amount of liquid up the straw. The liquid that is pulled up the straw will have tiny air bubbles mixed in with the liquid. What you’ve created is a simple emulsion tube. The difficulty comes in figuring out the size, number, and placement of emulsion holes in the metering block. The good news is that Holley has worked all this out for you, but at least now you know what those holes do and how important they are to an engine’s fuel curve.




A set of replacable air bleeds, jets and emulsion tubes by the old Weber/Edelbrock and now TMP kit.

Image



is there any way i can contact you besides this forum to talk to you and have a conversation about all of this. im 20 years old and this is my first boosted carb car and i want to learn everything there is to know about this
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

pmuller9
Registered User
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Columbus, Indiana

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #15 by pmuller9 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:00 am

I see you switched from the 500 cfm to the 350 cfm 2300.

Where is the boost reference line for the fuel regulator connected to?

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #16 by thatblue_67stang » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:31 pm

pmuller9 wrote:I see you switched from the 500 cfm to the 350 cfm 2300.

Where is the boost reference line for the fuel regulator connected to?



i have a vacuum block on the firewall connected to where the brake booster is ussually connected on the carb. im thinking of routing the fuel regulator to take boost directly from the turbo
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

pmuller9
Registered User
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Columbus, Indiana

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #17 by pmuller9 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:59 pm

thatblue_67stang wrote:i have a vacuum block on the firewall connected to where the brake booster is ussually connected on the carb. im thinking of routing the fuel regulator to take boost directly from the turbo


The fuel regulator boost reference line needs to see the pressure that the carburetor is seeing.
The line needs to connect to the carburetor hat or the tube running to the hat.

Have you been able to temporarily mount the fuel pressure gauge on the hood or someplace you can see it to check fuel pressure under boost?

User avatar
xctasy
VIP Member
Posts: 6585
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:40 am
Location: PO Box 7072 Dunedin 9011,South Island, NEW ZEALAND
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #18 by xctasy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:33 pm

The Hogan style intake is what Does10's ran.

Your system is similar to fast64rancheros and JTurbo's

As long as you copy the image link when it shows on your screen in below 800 by 500, it'll show up if you use "" around it without the 66 and 99's

""
then add
"https://i.imgur.com/lQnilNi.jpg"

Image


Follow the basics first. All advice given is good, although I'd never, ever reduce the size of a carb on a turbo car, Does10's did it, and loved it.


A carb is a fuel supply device, not a restrictor plate. Restrictor plate engines are found in NASCAR, F1, LeMans and the World Rally Championship, and they area rated between 129 and 85 cubic inches of engine per sqaure inch of restrtor plate.


They exist to stop people going faster. On a turbo engine, when the area of the venturis is below 1.375" each (500 cfm), it's 2.969 sq inches of area serving a 200 cube engine, or 67 cubic inches of engine serving 1 sq inch of plate restriction.
200/2.969= 67 or near too.


Add a 350 cfm carb with 1.1875, thats 2.215 sq inches of restriction, or 200/2.215 or 90 cubic inches per square inch of restriction.

Production turbo carb engines are never restricted that much. If the specs are greater than a 85 cubic inches per 1 inch of carb venturi, then its a restrictor plate engine. It might help you get on boost, but it'll drive the air correction holes in your carb crazy, and you'll then be constantly goijg over other stuff to fix it.


Keep the 500 cfm carb, and check that the fuel delivery is not aerated on boost. Your intake manifold could be causing other issues, but thats okay....the carb has to deliver fuel, not restrict air. The 4412 makes 352 hp normaly aspirated in a good 289. Its got all the good stuff to ensure gasoline flows at wide open throttle.

I'm all for being conservative, but never go back from the optimum on Breathing, Exhaust, Ignition, Gearing, Head flow or cam Timing.

Fuel delivery is simple. The Italians got it all figured out before WWII. The worst thing you can do is go backwards on Breathing.

It might be safer to avoid torch downs from too much fuel at the delivery point, turbos that are not Fuel Injected are a risk when you go over 14 psi, but most fuel trim is making sure you do the basics right, and then adjust the well tube holes if all other avenues didn't help you.
Image
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

pmuller9
Registered User
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Columbus, Indiana

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #19 by pmuller9 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:04 pm

It is a 200 six with a stock cam and rev limited to 5000 rpm.
The 350 cfm carb sitting on a large custom plenum is not a restriction plate at that engine flow rate.

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #20 by thatblue_67stang » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:22 pm

pmuller9 wrote:It is a 200 six with a stock cam and rev limited to 5000 rpm.
The 350 cfm carb sitting on a large custom plenum is not a restriction plate at that engine flow rate.



500 cfm is way to much as you said for a stock six. I had the 500 on it and it would flood the engine at start and throughout the whole rpm range. I am going to try giving the regulator boost right from the turbo.



Also extacy, a 350 is technically to big for this engine doing the right conversion. I went from like a 150cfm to a 500 then to a 350.
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #21 by thatblue_67stang » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:26 pm

pmuller9 wrote:
thatblue_67stang wrote:i have a vacuum block on the firewall connected to where the brake booster is ussually connected on the carb. im thinking of routing the fuel regulator to take boost directly from the turbo


The fuel regulator boost reference line needs to see the pressure that the carburetor is seeing.
The line needs to connect to the carburetor hat or the tube running to the hat.

Have you been able to temporarily mount the fuel pressure gauge on the hood or someplace you can see it to check fuel pressure under boost?



No my gauge is mounted right to my regulator so I need to get a electronic pressure gauge. Waiting for it to come in the mail
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #22 by thatblue_67stang » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:49 pm

pmuller9 wrote:
thatblue_67stang wrote:i have a vacuum block on the firewall connected to where the brake booster is ussually connected on the carb. im thinking of routing the fuel regulator to take boost directly from the turbo


The fuel regulator boost reference line needs to see the pressure that the carburetor is seeing.
The line needs to connect to the carburetor hat or the tube running to the hat.

Have you been able to temporarily mount the fuel pressure gauge on the hood or someplace you can see it to check fuel pressure under boost?


It's fixed. All I had to do was give the regulator boost before the carb got it and it was able to keep up with the flow of fuel that the engine needed.
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

pmuller9
Registered User
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Columbus, Indiana

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #23 by pmuller9 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:33 pm

Great! I was hoping that would fix it.

The carburetor creates a drop in pressure so the intake manifold pressure is less than the pressure going into the carb.
If you reference off the intake manifold the fuel pressure will be less than the pressure in the carb and the fuel flow will decrease under boost.

Your base fuel pressure should be 6 psi without boost. What do you have it set at?

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #24 by thatblue_67stang » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:39 pm

pmuller9 wrote:Great! I was hoping that would fix it.

The carburetor creates a drop in pressure so the intake manifold pressure is less than the pressure going into the carb.
If you reference off the intake manifold the fuel pressure will be less than the pressure in the carb and the fuel flow will decrease under boost.

Your base fuel pressure should be 6 psi without boost. What do you have it set at?



i have it set at exactly 6. she rips now. never thought i would get the old inline6 to feel so good. turbos are amazing and thank you for the help. im only 20 and have much to learn about all this but its a passion.
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

User avatar
powerband
FSP Moderator
Posts: 1877
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:45 pm
Location: Mid Hudson Valley - \H/

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #25 by powerband » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:28 pm

I pore over every forced induction post mining for hints on my own FI projects, here's a few thoughts and related pics on this post thread '

Wondern' if you are using vent tube extensions?. My 250 with Vortech SC (@5-8 PSI boost @3500rpm) and blo-thru 2300's was erratic at boost until I extended carb vent tube into charge tube @ 3". Engine would oscillate from good AFR to lean after a few seconds under boost until xtension tubes added, extensions may well be worth a try ... (3/8 fuel/brake line fits stock vent port)

250 SC project started with 500CFM 4412 but tuned to optimum AFR's finally with the 7448 350'. As boost was incrementally increased with blow-off relief valve adjustments' , the AFR;s would go rich until I backed down main jets repeatedly. I bored the 2300's existing unused hat-tap pass through casting for direct hat pressure port for regulator reference and Power Valve port remote access but instead currently using bowl pressure referenced 'reverse' Power Valve setup. Jet extensions are also helpful when fuel weight hysteresis vs acceleration is a factor. 8)

Car uses elec pump, OEM fuel supply line with 3/8 return to tank filler tube. Aeromotive reg' set @ 7 lbs at atmosphere, increases linearly following boost to @15PSI.

('if Photobucks allows:)

on NA test mill:
Image

Image

Image

Maverick test platform
Image

Image


fuel:
Image
. Image . Image .Image

gauges are boost at compressor-AFR-boost at intake manifold
Image


The setup is fairly simple and car is docile at NA/partial throttle cruise. At usable RPM, the SC enables instant available boost when throttle is opened.

Have fun
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

thatblue_67stang
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo 200 Becomes lean after about 5 seconds of WOT NEED HELP URGENT

Post #26 by thatblue_67stang » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:32 pm

powerband wrote:I pore over every forced induction post mining for hints on my own FI projects, here's a few thoughts and related pics on this post thread '

Wondern' if you are using vent tube extensions?. My 250 with Vortech SC (@5-8 PSI boost @3500rpm) and blo-thru 2300's was erratic at boost until I extended carb vent tube into charge tube @ 3". Engine would oscillate from good AFR to lean after a few seconds under boost until xtension tubes added, extensions may well be worth a try ... (3/8 fuel/brake line fits stock vent port)

250 SC project started with 500CFM 4412 but tuned to optimum AFR's finally with the 7448 350'. As boost was incrementally increased with blow-off relief valve adjustments' , the AFR;s would go rich until I backed down main jets repeatedly. I bored the 2300's exiting unused hat-tap pass through casting for direct hat pressure port for regulator reference and Power Valve port remote access but instead currently using bowl pressure referenced 'reverse' Power Valve setup. Jet extensions are also helpful when fuel weight hysteresis vs acceleration is a factor. 8)

Car uses elec pump, OEM fuel supply line with 3/8 return to tank filler tube. Aeromotive reg' set @ 7 lbs at atmosphere, increases linearly following boost to @15PSI.

('if Photobucks allows:)

on NA test mill:
Image

Image

Image

Maverick test platform
Image

Image

Image


Image . Image .Image

gauges are boost at compressor-AFR-boost at intake manifold
Image


The setup is fairly simple and car is a docile driver at NA/partial throttle cruise. At usable RPM, the SC enables instant available boost when throttle is opened.

Have fun



yes you were one of the first to help me about 6 months ago. i went from a 500 like you down to a 350. 500 was way to big. i have a vent extension and its great. once i turn up the boost i will be buying myself a billet aluminum quickfuel metering block which means i can tune every hole on it with tiny jets. everything from power valve holes to emulsion tube holes.
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests